death137

death137

miserable
Jun 25, 2020
Let say you have one secret you don't want someone to know about. You rather be eaten alive than revel the secret and face the next day. So what if ppl who planned to use violent methods (hanging, jumping, train, etc....) but having trouble time overcoming their SI use secret revelation as a means to beat the SI? You could do it via text and the second you do that you are hanging. Any thought?

• Hugs
Reactions: Sunset764 and Deleted member 4993
catscradle

catscradle

Now I will destroy the whole world
Jul 10, 2020
what if you survive? no method is 100%.

Reactions: Sunset764, Deleted member 4993, GrumpyFrog and 1 other person
death137

death137

miserable
Jun 25, 2020
what if you survive? no method is 100%.
Yeah no method is 100% guaranteed but I think its worth the risk. With hanging (full suspension) you have 70-80% chance so I think its a good bet.

• Hugs
Reactions: Deleted member 4993
ladolcemorte

ladolcemorte

Experienced
May 5, 2019
Wait, you are suggesting that putting your secret out there before attempting will ensure you follow through because things will be so awful that you will have no choice but to CTB???

Interesting theory, but I would advise against this strategy. It is way too risky in my opinion..

First of all, what if you are wrong and SI kicks in despite the "revelation", and you still find yourself unable to CTB? (You think this will override SI, but there is really no way of knowing for sure...human beings are not great at predicting how things will affect them, and SI is biologically based and often has a mind of it's own...) If that happens, you will still be alive and your suffering will be 100 times worse...

As others have mentioned, no matter how carefully you plan things, death is not a guarantee. Let's say it works and you do override SI, but you survive your attempt... You could end up permanently disabled AND with this horrible secret out there...

Reactions: Sprite_Geist, GrumpyFrog and death137
death137

death137

miserable
Jun 25, 2020
Wait, you are suggesting that putting your secret out there before attempting will ensure you follow through because things will be so awful that you will have no choice but to CTB???

Interesting theory, but I would advise against this strategy. It is way too risky in my opinion..

First of all, what if you are wrong and SI kicks in despite the "revelation", and you still find yourself unable to CTB? (You think this will override SI, but there is really no way of knowing for sure...human beings are not great at predicting how things will affect them, and SI is biologically based and often has a mind of it's own...) If that happens, you will still be alive and your suffering will be 100 times worse...

As others have mentioned, no matter how carefully you plan things, death is not a guarantee. Let's say it works and you do override SI, but you survive your attempt... You could end up permanently disabled AND with this horrible secret out there...
I understand there is a chance that SI won't e beaten by it or you might beat it but the attempt fail.

About failed attempt, you minimize the chance of failure by prepare your method well.

About not overcoming SI, it depends from person to person but I believe for some it can be overcome by revealing big secret. For example if you are suicidal and were told a group of hyenas will come to you to eat you alive, wouldn't you desperately try to kill yourself since its better than facing them? If yes then substitute the hyena part with the big secret.

• Hugs
Reactions: Deleted member 4993
GrumpyFrog

GrumpyFrog

Exhausted
Aug 23, 2020
For example if you are suicidal and were told a group of hyenas will come to you to eat you alive, wouldn't you desperately try to kill yourself since its better than facing them? If yes then substitute the hyena part with the big secret.
You have a very interesting idea. However, SI is survival instinct. It is naturally imprinted in any human being, and if you're surrounded by a group of hyenas, it will push you to fight or flight, or at least to freeze and "play dead", and not to hurt yourself in any way, because it's the way nature programmed you - like every animal, you're programmed for survival.
Being afraid of revealing your big secret is a fear produced by what Pavlov called "higher nervous activity" - the complex thinking process that is unique to highly intelligent animals, including humans, and is built around complex neuron connections in your brain developed during the years of your unique life experience. Most suicidal people have ample reasons pushing them to CTB on this level. However, SI is a basic instinct, common for all living things and innate, rather than acquired, it functions on a more basic level. It's like all your reasoning for CTB, your mental anguish and your thought process are software, and your SI is a hardware block - it might be affected by software if you're creative, but it cannot be completely turned off. Hope my tech analogies make sense :)

Reactions: death137, Deleted member 4993, sadghost and 2 others
W

Wisdom3_1-9

he/him/his
Jul 19, 2020
Interesting theory, but it assumes that the secret is worth your life. That's an easy assumption to make when you're not battling with SI. As previous commenters have indicated, once actually facing death, priorities change.

Reactions: death137 and GrumpyFrog