T

TennTrixie

Aug 31, 2024
I just found an old medicine bottle of hydrocodone left from a surgery I had. But it is 9 years old. Anyone's thoughts about taking several of these pills before SN? Its about 125mg total. And would it lose potency?

schrei_nach_liebe

schrei_nach_liebe

Experienced
Jul 6, 2023
Don't do it, opioids will make you more likely to vomit more quickly. Stick with acetaminophen/tylenol/paracetamol if you're worried about pain

• Informative
Reactions: sadlittleman32, Plato'sCaveDweller, TennTrixie and 1 other person
T

TennTrixie

Aug 31, 2024
Honestly I was just hoping it would knock me out so I don't know what is going on. 🤷‍♀️

schrei_nach_liebe

schrei_nach_liebe

Experienced
Jul 6, 2023
Well if that was the case you might forget to take to SN or be unable to finish it

A

athiestjoe

Sep 24, 2024
Well if that was the case you might forget to take to SN or be unable to finish it
Not too sure about that per se. Narcotics take time to kick in. If anything taking benzos too earlier would cause someone to "forget". I would be more concerned with the risk of vomiting and other side effects of the hydrocodone over "forgetting" although it is possible too I suppose.

Back to OP's question: a few things (1) yes it does deteriorate although medical journals say it takes a very long time to truly not be effective (See: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7040264/ and https://c3-preview.prosites.com/241033/wy/docs/Catalog/Expired Medications 2012.pdf) however (2) it would greatly increase the risk of vomiting. I plan to follow the PPH protocol exactly (or as extremely close as possible) to avoid any failures or mishaps. The point of the tylenol/paracetamol (they are the same thing, Tylenol is just a brand name of Acetaminophen) is to help with any possible pain/discomfort. Also hydrocodone can cause chest tightness especially if there is no tolerance so it could end up causing more discomfort.

The SN Bible has a pretty good discussion on the protocols but the PPH guide is what I plan to follow.

I hope you find what you are looking for and find serenity & peace.

Reactions: TennTrixie
schrei_nach_liebe

schrei_nach_liebe

Experienced
Jul 6, 2023
Not too sure about that per se. Narcotics take time to kick in. If anything taking benzos too earlier would cause someone to "forget". I would be more concerned with the risk of vomiting and other side effects of the hydrocodone over "forgetting" although it is possible too I suppose.

Back to OP's question: a few things (1) yes it does deteriorate although medical journals say it takes a very long time to truly not be effective (See: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7040264/ and https://c3-preview.prosites.com/241033/wy/docs/Catalog/Expired Medications 2012.pdf) however (2) it would greatly increase the risk of vomiting. I plan to follow the PPH protocol exactly (or as extremely close as possible) to avoid any failures or mishaps. The point of the tylenol/paracetamol (they are the same thing, Tylenol is just a brand name of Acetaminophen) is to help with any possible pain/discomfort. Also hydrocodone can cause chest tightness especially if there is no tolerance so it could end up causing more discomfort.

The SN Bible has a pretty good discussion on the protocols but the PPH guide is what I plan to follow.

I hope you find what you are looking for and find serenity & peace.
Do you want to add more chance of failure either way? I don't.

A

athiestjoe

Sep 24, 2024
Do you want to add more chance of failure either way? I don't.
Nope definitely not which is why I said "I plan to follow the PPH protocol exactly (or as extremely close as possible) to avoid any failures or mishaps" my concern was moreso about the risk of vomiting by taking a narcotic than the risk of "forgetting". Sorry if my reply was not clear as while I thought it was maybe it was confusing. I hope you find lots of serenity & peace with whatever you are looking for!

schrei_nach_liebe

schrei_nach_liebe

Experienced
Jul 6, 2023
Nope definitely not which is why I said "I plan to follow the PPH protocol exactly (or as extremely close as possible) to avoid any failures or mishaps" my concern was moreso about the risk of vomiting by taking a narcotic than the risk of "forgetting". Sorry if my reply was not clear as while I thought it was maybe it was confusing. I hope you find lots of serenity & peace with whatever you are looking for!
For myself I'll rely on my own relevant experience before I blindly follow the PPH. I'm not saying it's a bad resource or anything, but manuals made by so-called experts have failed me in the past. No one has actual expertise when it comes to dying peacefully, it's not possible to grab a recording from someone who died and see exactly what happened and how it felt. I just value correlation of knowledge and experience more than rote-memorization/citing sources. Citing sources isn't always wrong but in a lot of cases can be misleading. I've learned not to trust reputations. If someone tells me something I first see if it passes a sniff-check, then I compare it with what I know and see where it relates, similar to how neurons are thought to form connections. Everything is fallible, for sure, but I'd rather use things for myself which have some grounding in what I know for sure than something with no connection to what I know. So I don't push anything or any particular source, I offer up things I believe to be true based on what I know. People shouldn't take anything I say at face value nor should they take anything cited at face value, especially when we're talking about a scenario where someone has just taken something significant and fast acting on a person's physiology impacting how oxygen is delivered, yet the information cited talks about an opioid under controlled conditions. When you have a known-unknown like SN, a big picture approach has to be taken when accounting for all other factors. I'm not attacking you, I'm just explaining where I'm coming from.