Nymph

Nymph

he/him
Jul 15, 2020
Do you guys think that using shortcuts makes you sound or look dumber? I use a lot of shortcuts even for already short words like "be"->"b", "are"->"r". I feel like the posts that have more shortcuts can look rushed or dumb compared to ones that use full words. I've noticed that they also get less feedback/attention. Not that I mind that much I'm just wondering if anyone else also noticed? Think the same also applies to typos but with typos there's a problem that maybe the reader just doesn't know what the word was actually supposed to be so they would rather not give any feedback.

Reactions: Fragile
I

inactive

Student
Jul 26, 2020
For me, it depends on the shortcut, lol. I feel like certain shortcuts sound dumber than others.

Deleted member 18655

Deleted member 18655

Enlightened
Jun 4, 2020
Yes, but I am a grammar Nazi. I just keep telling myself that some people aren't native english speakers so I can ignore it.

Texting has ruined languages :'(:wink:

• Hugs
Reactions: Skathon, Fragile and Nymph
A

AllReturnsToNothing

I'm useless
Aug 5, 2020
Language is a constantly evolving art form and the ways that it shifts and diverges are hard to predict and aren't inherently bad. When I was younger I used to get upset about stuff like text-speak but as I got older it doesn't bother me as much because it's just a short form of making communication easier over tiny keypads when you don't have access to a full keyboard. Plus as someone who prefers talking to people face-to-face, text communication is excruciatingly difficult since the words of a conversation only carry so much meaning on their own. I don't read text speech as being "dumber" but moreso as a more light-hearted in tone. Unless you type things like "rawr XDDDD im ROFL FR M8". Then I get the impression that you're a time traveler from 2007.

Fragile

Fragile

Broken
Jul 7, 2019
I associate it with childishness, like trying to sound cool or something. I think that this is one of those things that most people grow out of at some point. Obviously this may not be the case, but that's just the way I see it.

It only bothers me when people use it almost on every single word, otherwise, I don't really care and if the person writing this way likes it, then more power to them.

Even though I'm not a native English speaker and I don't have much conversation experience, I try my best to write in an understandable way. So to me it's very noticeable when someone writes in this 'comfortable' way.

Reactions: All Things Must Pass and Skathon