May 27, 2023
  • Hugs
  • Informative
Reactions: Oguzok, greyblue_bian, _AllCatsAreGrey_ and 7 others
R

rozeske

Maybe I am the problem
Dec 2, 2023
Looks like it's us, the "recipe" part could likely be SN... I wonder who it was on here...RIP.

• Hugs
Reactions: Oguzok, QueenInsomnia, Hunter2005 and 2 others
locked*n*loaded

locked*n*loaded

Archangel
Apr 15, 2022
I guess. Grieving families need to blame others instead of themselves.

• Hugs
Reactions: Venessolotic, Oguzok, thebelljarrr and 9 others
Gangrel

Gangrel

Experienced
Jul 25, 2024
These fucking articles always infuriate me. Yeah the problem is the "way" they did it not WHY they did, never why because it's easy to point at a fucking text on the internet than to actually reflect on what happened.

• Hugs
Reactions: Venessolotic, UnluckyBastard, thebelljarrr and 12 others
HiddenPain

HiddenPain

Fading 🥀
Jul 24, 2024
Seems likely they are referring to here, always easy to point the finger elsewhere rather than look inwards.

• Hugs
Reactions: Venessolotic, Oguzok, Mebius and 6 others
astr4

astr4

memento mori
Mar 27, 2019
if he weren't on here who's to say he wouldn't have found a more painful and violent way in the end… ease of access is not the biggest driver to suicide. mental health is. dad should take a good long look in the mirror and ask himself in what ways he let his son down.

• Hugs
Reactions: thebelljarrr, divinemistress36, _AllCatsAreGrey_ and 8 others
pthnrdnojvsc

pthnrdnojvsc

Extreme Pain is much worse than people know
Aug 12, 2019
These media bastards all say the same lies about this website and suicide.

• Hugs
Reactions: Oguzok, Mebius, Hunter2005 and 3 others
W

whywere

Visionary
Jun 26, 2020
It is always easier to judge than to understand. Just like all the other folks here have said, easy to pick on this site without truly understanding why something happened.

If this site did not exist, some folks would always find some excuse to use and never look at what might be the real cause(s).

Walter

Reactions: Loona6546645, J&L383 and Praestat_Mori
carac

carac

"and if this is the end, i am glad i met you."
May 27, 2023
Seems likely they are referring to here, always easy to point the finger elsewhere rather than look inwards.
exactly what I was thinking, I mean I feel for the father but looks like they are looking outwards rather than inwards

• Hugs
Reactions: divinemistress36, whywere, Loona6546645 and 2 others
T

timetodie24

Warlock
Apr 14, 2023
I understand it as I get that their families need someone or something to blame and campaign for . I think my parents would get angry about ss too so will make sure they don't find evidence of it on my phone.

Interesting that so many parents are so confident their child would be alive if it wasn't for the site though. There's always other ways , i found methods from journal papers, news articles, tv shows before I found here . If someone wants to find it they will. But I also don't think it's fair people saying that the father should blame himself. We have no idea what their relationship was like . Yes some people their family and/or traumatic childhood is a factor but for some it's not a factor at all. People with loving supportive parents ctb too. We can't possibly know from the article and i dont think fair to make assumptions about someones parenting from their understandble reaction during grief

Also the way the article talks about how should've checking his phone and stuff and 'good kid' etc. makes it sound like he was a minor not 23. Doesn't make it any less sad but you can't protect an adult in their 20s from the internet …

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: NeverReallyHere, willitpass, failedone and 3 others
mistymoo

mistymoo

Im going to be apart of the 27 club
May 30, 2024
Reading the way this article is treating Riley like a literal child is so infuriating to me. If my parents were monitoring all my internet activities at 23 I absolutely be driven to insanity. I wonder if his parents were treating him like a child in other ways as well

• Hugs
Reactions: thebelljarrr, AmberianDawn, JealousOfTheElderly and 5 others
permanently tired

permanently tired

Sacrificed to entertain you
Nov 8, 2023
All they think about is their own pain, not an ounce of care for what their son felt. "If he hadn't seen this he would be alive today." Please get over yourself. People with this egocentric mentality are poisoning society.

• Hugs
Reactions: divinemistress36, JealousOfTheElderly, Gangrel and 2 others
Gangrel

Gangrel

Experienced
Jul 25, 2024
All they think about is their own pain, not an ounce of care for what their son felt. "If he hadn't seen this he would be alive today." Please get over yourself. People with this egocentric mentality are poisoning society.
Too real, not only that but if he didn't see it something much worse and violent would have happened.

willitpass

willitpass

Don’t try to offer me help, I’ve tried everything
Mar 10, 2020
I understand it as I get that their families need someone or something to blame and campaign for . I think my parents would get angry about ss too so will make sure they don't find evidence of it on my phone.

Interesting that so many parents are so confident their child would be alive if it wasn't for the site though. There's always other ways , i found methods from journal papers, news articles, tv shows before I found here . If someone wants to find it they will. But I also don't think it's fair people saying that the father should blame himself. We have no idea what their relationship was like . Yes some people their family and/or traumatic childhood is a factor but for some it's not a factor at all. People with loving supportive parents ctb too. We can't possibly know from the article and i dont think fair to make assumptions about someones parenting from their understandble reaction during grief

Also the way the article talks about how should've checking his phone and stuff and 'good kid' etc. makes it sound like he was a minor not 23. Doesn't make it any less sad but you can't protect an adult in their 20s from the internet …
I agree with this wholeheartedly. My dad is an amazing person, he has prevented my from CTB many times because I don't want to put him through the pain. I also know if he knew about this site he would blame is in part for my suicide, despite my over a decade long battle with severe depression and my history of suicide attempts dating back long before I started using this site. There are SO many reasons someone may decide to CTB that do not involve family, or even other people at all.

I agree this website has become a scapegoat, but I don't think it's always a case of family using it to avoid personal responsibility. Losing a child is an unimaginable loss, and it being a suicide makes it even harder to process. It is natural to want to point fingers. Denial and anger are part of the grief cycle after all. Absolutely some suicides have something to do with the family and it is true denial, but it is wrong of us to assume that. Again, I don't agree in blaming this site, but try to have some compassion for the families without automatically assuming it had anything to do with them.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: feelinggloomy, timetodie24, whywere and 1 other person
mistymoo

mistymoo

May 30, 2024
Side note - articles like this honestly scare me so much. There's no other place on the internet like this and I don't want it to go away

• Hugs
Reactions: QueerMelancholy, Unknown21, N33dT0D13 and 5 others
QueenInsomnia

QueenInsomnia

Jul 21, 2024
"It's never anybody's fault when someone dies by suicide," she says. "It's an act of desperation and hopelessness."

Oh, I very much beg to differ! Someone doesn't just wake up one day and for absolutely no reason at all think to themselves, "I think I'll CTB today."

feelinggloomy

feelinggloomy

Experienced
May 29, 2024
My son CTB. I plan to do the same shortly. It has nothing to do with this site. My son was suicidal for a long long time. If at some point he found this site maybe he would not have felt so alone. At least I hope not. As for me, I'm suicidal because my son passed away and this site did not make that any worse. In fact it provided comfort. People who don't experience this torment don't understand the need to talk with others who feel the same.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: QueerMelancholy, Unknown21, InOverMyHead and 6 others
K

Kali_Yuga13

Student
Jul 11, 2024
"If only" his son didn't come from a broken home, take antidepressant meds, mowed the lawn and took out the trash so he wouldn't be kicked out....yes all of those factors are also in the article. The father regrets not doing more and is looking for something to pin the blame on.

• Hugs
Reactions: QueerMelancholy and whywere
ThatGuyOverThere

ThatGuyOverThere

David Benatar Enjoyer
Apr 25, 2024
they need something they point fingers at. we're an easy option.

• Hugs
Reactions: whywere
mistymoo

mistymoo

May 30, 2024
My son CTB. I plan to do the same shortly. It has nothing to do with this site. My son was suicidal for a long long time. If at some point he found this site maybe he would not have felt so alone. At least I hope not. As for me, I'm suicidal because my son passed away and this site did not make that any worse. In fact it provided comfort. People who don't experience this torment don't understand the need to talk with others who feel the same.
I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm glad this site can bring you comfort in knowing you're not alone

• Love
Reactions: whywere
J

JealousOfTheElderly

Everything's gonna be OK
Aug 28, 2020
This site has provided a lot of comfort for me. In fact, it was therapeutic because, hey, I am still alive right now!

I met someone who lost his brother to suicide, last year. Then I met the parents - particularly the father. Sorry to sound cold and judgmental but yeah, I probably would have CTB'd too if that dude was my father. I get the same vibes from the guy in the article. 🙄

• Hugs
Reactions: newave3, mistymoo and whywere
QueerMelancholy

QueerMelancholy

Mage
Jul 29, 2023
It sounds like the father threatened to kick his son out of one of the properties he owned because he wasn't keeping up with the chores there and the son decided to go live with his mother and stepfather.

Sounds like the father is diffusing the blame and still feeling guilty for being so ignorant of it.

If only he knew? Articles like this are so lazily written. I wonder what his son would say about him.

Last edited:
Reactions: permanently tired, JealousOfTheElderly, mistymoo and 1 other person
divinemistress36

divinemistress36

Visionary
Jan 1, 2024
Heavy grief overrides logic . Even without this site he probably would have still ctb but with a more violent method like gun,hanging, or train

Reactions: QueerMelancholy
S

Suspect_Device

Student
Jul 10, 2022
  • Yay!
Reactions: divinemistress36 and QueerMelancholy