stoiccactus

stoiccactus

somehow still here
Mar 24, 2022
Question: if you're in the USA - how bad is the 72 hour mental health hold? Do they just pump you full of meds and throw you in a jail cell or is there actual treatment? I would assume it's the prior, that they just pump you full of meds and leave you with a psycho roomie for 72 hours?

QueerMelancholy

QueerMelancholy

Mage
Jul 29, 2023
In my experience with it, I didn't get pumped with anything other than being talked at by care providers. They didn't pump me with anything. I got no meds other than the ones I was already taking if they thought taking them while in their custody was necessary. Sometimes they can think that the meds are causing your problems too.

A lot of it was just being watched and protected against myself and my mostly troubled mind.

genoke

genoke

Aug 13, 2024
They don't keep you 72 hours if you never say you are suicidal. They'll let you out in one hour. They don't want to waste time or money on you.

stoiccactus

stoiccactus

somehow still here
Mar 24, 2022
I have health insurance, I just need to figure out how to get treatment for serious suicidality

B

buoy

Kill off the old me before I decide to kill myself
Nov 8, 2023
Question: if you're in the USA - how bad is the 72 hour mental health hold? Do they just pump you full of meds and throw you in a jail cell or is there actual treatment? I would assume it's the prior, that they just pump you full of meds and leave you with a psycho roomie for 72 hours?
It really depends on what state in the US and the circumstances of the 72 hr hold. Usually the 72 hr hold doesn't include medication, just counselors interviewing to evaluate your mental status. These places can sometimes mix in criminals with just regular folks. You'll be safe but it isn't the most pleasant. My experience was involuntary so I lied to get out quick, but if you check yourself in-idk what that entails. I think you're free to check yourself out within certain circumstances. If you're not a threat to yourself or others. I don't have much helpful advice. The place that I went to-idk how anyone comes out better, my best friend went away for longer/somewhere else in the country and it really did him good. Best of luck, friend

N33dT0D13

N33dT0D13

Xe/It
Apr 2, 2023
They don't keep you 72 hours if you never say you are suicidal. They'll let you out in one hour. They don't want to waste time or money on you.
Unless, in my experience, you get 5150d. I was hospitalized many times by my mother following arguments, she cited my diagnoses, I never expressed suicidal intent, they kept me for three days each time.

To answer OP, no meds, no treatment, no roomies, they basically just talked at me at times and left me alone a lot. It varied depending on where I got sent to but that was generally what happened.

genoke

genoke

Aug 13, 2024
Unless, in my experience, you get 5150d. I was hospitalized many times by my mother following arguments, she cited my diagnoses, I never expressed suicidal intent, they kept me for three days each time.

To answer OP, no meds, no treatment, no roomies, they basically just talked at me at times and left me alone a lot. It varied depending on where I got sent to but that was generally what happened.
I told my brother I was depressed addicted to weed and pills I hadn't eaten in 5 days and my dumba** pos brother called the cops and I just kept repeating I never said I was suicidal. So different circumstances. I've also woken up from being wasted drunk and apparently I said I was suicidal when I was 17. I didn't spend more than 2 hours in there both times. A 72 hour hold is not mandatory the Dr. has the authority to release you at any time. In San Jose, anyway. As long as you calmly keep repeating you're not suicidal they don't want to help or house or feed you. They want you out of there. These patients cost a fortune.