Silver

Silver

The 21st century is when everything changes
Aug 8, 2020
If I suicide and the police find me, what happens next? I'd be leaving a note. Would there be an autopsy on me? What exactly happens after? And if I give my PIN for my bank account, would my family be able to withdraw my money? I don't have a lot but it would pay for my funeral.

BipolarGuy

BipolarGuy

Enlightened
Aug 6, 2020
The last thing I am concerned about is the administrative affairs post death.

I will however request in the note that no autopsy is carried out.

I

inactive

Student
Jul 26, 2020
I believe an autopsy is mandatory following a suicide in order to confirm the cause of death (to rule out murder, for instance) but don't take my word on that. A note requesting that one not be performed would be useless because the coroner is required by law.

S

Septim

Jul 3, 2020
You would be better to leave a will for your family to get the money out. The law can be a little dubious about them just taking cash out. If you name an executor in your will they can use your money to pay for a funeral. Contact citizens advice bureau for good and simple advice on that.

Greenberg

Greenberg

nitrogenexit.blogspot.com
Jun 28, 2020
If I suicide and the police find me, what happens next? I'd be leaving a note. Would there be an autopsy on me? What exactly happens after? And if I give my PIN for my bank account, would my family be able to withdraw my money? I don't have a lot but it would pay for my funeral.
Have you thought about withdrawing your money first and leaving it in a location where they will find it? At the very least there will be no legal issues for them to withdrawing it post your passing.

Reactions: Deleted member 4993 and checkouttime
F

Funkymonks

Jul 23, 2020
I'm in Ireland and believe the process may be similar.
There will have to be an autopsy and there will be a public inquest done even though the death may be obvious. Regardless of the wishes
Depending on how busy the coroner is will determine how long before the body is returned to family
The police will be called to the scene and will remove evidence, such as a note, phone etc
Any items removed will be returned to family at a later stage, normally once the inquest has been completed.
with regards to bank accounts etc it would be much easier to lift money out and have cash in a drawer.
The next of kin is normally the one tasked to inform the likes of banks, dentists and so on of the death.
Also once the next of kin receives the death certificate, there is a slip which can be filled in which stops mail arriving for the deceased.

in the case of my brother, the police were extremely compassionate and any organisation that we had to deal with were also the same.
I hope this info helps you.

Reactions: Lame Old Duke, inactive and BPD Barbie
C

checkouttime

Visionary
Jul 15, 2020
Have you thought about withdrawing your money first and leaving it in a location where they will find it? At the very least there will be no legal issues for them to withdrawing it post your passing.

no 'death tax' either:blarg:

Silver

Silver

The 21st century is when everything changes
Aug 8, 2020
Thanks for the replies everyone. I had a look at the CAB website and it was pretty informative.

i don't think I'll need to make a will. The most expensive thing I own is my phone, lol. And I have c. £6000 in the bank so some (most?) of that would be for a funeral (I think they're expensive?). Only thing is, I'm not sure I can withdraw it. I'd need to go to the bank and I don't really go out on my own but I have no-one to come with me.