D

Darknessallaround

Nov 16, 2019
I'm sitting on the fence/in two minds about whether I want to ctb or attempt recovery.

With that in mind, I've been searching for a UK based suicidal ideation support group, not for discussion of methods but just to talk to others who 'get it' about what it's like to live with suicidal ideation.

There are quite a few mental health support groups online but generally they don't codone talk around the subject of suicide. None of them seem to understand that a person can live in a passively suicidal state for a considerable time and not be immediately at risk. As soon as the S-word is mentioned they want to go OTT and send the police/ambulance to your front door, so in depth discussion of the thoughts and feelings around this subject becomes impossible.

Does anyone know of a UK based online group that does allow this kind of discussion? I know there are a few in the USA but I specifically wanted UK related.

Reactions: Blackpoolbootz, blueclover_., Remember-Me-Not and 4 others
I

idonntseethepoint

Jun 28, 2021
I don't know of any specific groups but having had chronic SI for about a year now, always around if you want to chat (I'm also UK based)

Reactions: LionsTigersAndBears and Darknessallaround
F

FailingAtLife

Mar 2, 2020
Please excuse me for being somewhat off-topic, but for those peeps struggling with their mental health, if there were to exist an *in-person* support group near you where you could meet others in a similar situation (or with other issues leading to suicidal ideation), would you attend?

I'm just trying to get to the bottom of why such in-person groups don't seem to exist; is it because people (typically men ๐Ÿ˜–/๐Ÿ™„) don't like talking about their problems/issues, become too anxious, or is there another reason?

I'd personally find it **REALLY** useful to get out of my own damn head for a bit, and meet others who are struggling too in order to exchange experiences, thoughts and advice.

What are people's thoughts on this? Am I missing something bloody obvious which explains why such groups don't seem to exist...?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: idonntseethepoint, Darknessallaround, LastLoveLetter and 2 others
cambrai33

cambrai33

Traveller
Nov 3, 2021
I know of places you can talk in the UK

PM me if this is for you

Reactions: Darknessallaround
StarryStarry

StarryStarry

Cat Lady
Oct 25, 2021
Please excuse me for being somewhat off-topic, but for those peeps struggling with their mental health, if there were to exist an *in-person* support group near you where you could meet others in a similar situation (or with other issues leading to suicidal ideation), would you attend?

I'm just trying to get to the bottom of why such in-person groups don't seem to exist; is it because people (typically men ๐Ÿ˜–/๐Ÿ™„) don't like talking about their problems/issues, become too anxious, or is there another reason?

I'd personally find it **REALLY** useful to get out of my own damn head for a bit, and meet others who are struggling too in order to exchange experiences, thoughts and advice.

What are people's thoughts on this? Am I missing something bloody obvious which explains why such groups don't seem to exist...?
I'm in the US. Groups like that don't exist here because suicide is TABOO. No one talks about it (unless it's a famous person). I think it makes people uncomfortable to know that there are so many people who are dying from suicide. They put their heads in the sand and don't talk about it. Besides the fact that we are labeled crazy or selfish or whatever the word of the day is. This is the only site I've found helpful

Reactions: Untetheredwill and blueclover_.
D

Darknessallaround

Nov 16, 2019

To answer your question, I am looking for 'online support' and would not attend 'in-person support'. Apart from the fact that I struggle with being in f2f groups, the very nature of the topic would mean that whoever was facilitating it would be in a very difficult position with regards to a person who went on to end their life whilst a member of the group. The legal implications could be massive and it's doubtful whether anyone would be willing to host a group on such a divisive topic.

Similarly with online sites (SS being a rare exception). Most are pro-life rather than pro-choice and if anyone is perceived to be at immediate risk to themselves, the authorities will be called.

The only people I know who you can talk with freely about suicidal feelings without fear of the authorities being called are the Samaritans, as they follow the policy of a person's right to self-determination. However, you are only talking with one person not a group, and they will still try to steer a client towards life.

Reactions: LittleJem
callme

callme

I'm a loose cannon - I bang all the time.
Aug 15, 2021
I am very sorry, now that a certain Twatter account has exposed us in the aftermath of the NYT bullshit and it's UK based, I think this possibility is slim. She is specifically aiming at ending any form of pro-choice measures in the UK, including banning substances. She will probably go after this online group, wherever it pops up.

rationaltake

rationaltake

I'm rocking it - in another universe
Sep 28, 2021
To answer your question, I am looking for 'online support' and would not attend 'in-person support'. Apart from the fact that I struggle with being in f2f groups, the very nature of the topic would mean that whoever was facilitating it would be in a very difficult position with regards to a person who went on to end their life whilst a member of the group. The legal implications could be massive and it's doubtful whether anyone would be willing to host a group on such a divisive topic.

Similarly with online sites (SS being a rare exception). Most are pro-life rather than pro-choice and if anyone is perceived to be at immediate risk to themselves, the authorities will be called.

The only people I know who you can talk with freely about suicidal feelings without fear of the authorities being called are the Samaritans, as they follow the policy of a person's right to self-determination. However, you are only talking with one person not a group, and they will still try to steer a client towards life.
I've found the Samaritans ok. A couple of them told me that they have been with people on the phone in their last moments. People who didn't want to die alone. I am incredibly mistrustful so wouldn't take advantage of this possibility. But I'm fine with ringing them and being honest about not wanting to live as they've been ok with that.

F

FailingAtLife

Mar 2, 2020
Hmm. I must admit that I hadn't considered these factors at all; especially the fact that the group could be seen as liable if someone attending it were to subsequently attempt/complete suicide.

I think you and I are in the minority; I believe most people (men especially; compare the no. of men on this forum compared with the number of women...๐Ÿ˜’/๐Ÿ˜–) would prefer to stuff their feelings down and "brave face it" rather than talk to someone else.

I sometimes wish I was like this; if only simply to bow to social stigma and be able to think of myself as a "stereotypical guy", instead of viewing myself as weak for having the innate desire to want to share my feelings...๐Ÿ™„

Having said all this, though, there has been one benefit to having struggled with depression; it got me a new job as a peer support worker, as I've lived experience of depression, which makes me more relatable to those battling it too. Should be starting next week, so fingers crossed it gives me a much needed sense of purpose after so many years...

• Love