T

tuto170

Student
Jul 1, 2019
Hi, it's steam sale and I bought endless space 2 which is really good. I enjoy turned based games a lot and played almost all Total War series games frome rome 1 to warhammer total war. I also used to play a lot of civilization IV with mods. Also I was curious about buying darkest dungeon or civilization VI. Are those two any good? Also what do you think of planetside? Could you recommend me some games?

Reactions: Marchioness, narval, DocNo and 1 other person
kane

kane

Student
Jun 26, 2020
Crusader Kings 2 is complicated to get into but fiendishly compulsive once you do (I play the free version on steam). It's replaced Civ as my go to grand strategy fix.

Reactions: Brick In The Wall
Brick In The Wall

Brick In The Wall

2M Or Not 2B.
Oct 30, 2019
I don't play as many of these types of games as I used to. I did pickup Civ 6 a few months back though and would definitely recommend it. Its gotten some really good updates recently even.

• Love
Reactions: Marchioness
Futile

Futile

Tired of being lonely
Sep 3, 2020
Darkest dungeon is a must-have, as for civ 6 I prefer the 5 honestly

Crusader Kings 2 is complicated to get into but fiendishly compulsive once you do (I play the free version on steam). It's replaced Civ as my go to grand strategy fix.
That's real time though. Also you basically have to pay for the dlcs, without them the game is empty

kane

kane

Student
Jun 26, 2020
That's real time though. Also you basically have to pay for the dlcs, without them the game is empty
I'd say it's more of a hybrid. It's not turn-based, but most of the actual gameplay takes place with it paused, or waiting for things to happen. It's much closer to Civ than a traditional rts. Personally I've had plenty of entertainment so far using my home county to conquer Europe with just the free version, but then I'm incredibly cheap (and a medieval history nerd.)

DocNo

DocNo

whatever
Oct 30, 2020
i was for some time deep into endless space 2. really on of the best turn based games around. my favorites were the vodyani and umbral choir. also the vaulters are nice to play.

with the civ series i wasted for sure years of my life. civ2 i played really hardcore. civ3 and civ4 also a lot. but 5 and 6 not so much. they are ok and some concepts are nice but it never did kick me as much as the older series.
i liked also the old colonization game.

besides turn based i spent much time with factorio and rimworld and also several incremental clicker games.
in younger days i liked quake 3 arena a lot - it's feels somehow getting hooked on coke cause it's so quick and intense but in my older days my brain would maybe melt down if i would play it ^^

and one strategy game from the 90ies which some of my friends and me often played but it was difficult to play cause the multiplayer option was so badly programmed was "m.a.x." standing for "mechanized assault & exploration". it's really one of the best strategy games with a brilliant concept. being a bit of a mix of realtime and turnbased. there are even developers who reprogrammed it for fun with a much more stable multiplayer option.

a new interesting game i stumbled on is "the old world". it's from the civ4 lead designer. it's still in beta i guess. but i didn't check for a while now. it's an epic exclusive game for the first year afaik.

Last edited:
narval

narval

Enlightened
Jan 22, 2020
Personally i would suggest:
Darkest dungeon
Excelent narrator and visual style, interesting and short story (however the campaign can be VERY VERY LONG), good gameplay... and very interesting difficulty system as soon as you understand correctly the point of the RNG. It's a sort of maximize your chances and minimize the inevitable losts

Divinity: original sin 2
Good history, gameplay, chars and flashy spells/attacks, it has vibes of old sword and sorcery RPG also it has some funny (and some drama) moments and Lohse is Lohse, i love her quest... damn... i want to play it again XD

EDIT: If you like warhammer 40k universe, mechanicus is good game. It can be easy if you have experience in games like that, but.. tech-priests? adeptus mechanicus troops? progresion system? Options for increase difficulty a lot? give me five!

Last edited: