Anonymoususer1234

Anonymoususer1234

Experienced
Apr 13, 2023
I've been having trouble getting up and out of bed lately. It's something I used to struggle with a lot—for a while I was just able to get up and ready for the day without thinking about it, it was automatic. Now though, getting up feels hard again? What strategies do you use to overcome this?

• Hugs
Reactions: WAITING TO DIE
AllCatsAreGrey

AllCatsAreGrey

they/he
Sep 27, 2023
I recently was doing some research about how to deal with this myself.

The best thing I found was a psycho-educational TY video. (I can track down the source, if interested.) He shared a tip I have found helpful. Basically, make a small - tiny, even - step and then celebrate it.

The neuroscience of the idea is that the hippocampus in the middle brain functions as a sort of security, alarm system for the brain. When we get overwhelmed we enter into a fight or flight response. There are additionally modes of freeze or fawn.

What you're describing is a freeze response. A feeling of overwhelm that's like a deer in headlights. The nervous system is overwhelmed and attempting to find safety.

In this situation, if just getting out of bed is a struggle, you could make the goal of just sitting up in bed. When you're able to achieve that, try to celebrate that - to the best of your ability. Feel the win.

This provides the brain with a shot of dopamine. The presence of dopamine signals to the hippocampus that perhaps - just maybe - a car isn't actually heading to us. Freeing up this brain processing power allows the frontal lobe to bring on more cognitive functioning.

This practice of celebrating small wins has been helpful for me.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: WAITING TO DIE and NeedAnEscape
NeedAnEscape

NeedAnEscape

awaiting the end
Oct 16, 2023
I recently was doing some research about how to deal with this myself.

The best thing I found was a psycho-educational TY video. (I can track down the source, if interested.) He shared a tip I have found helpful. Basically, make a small - tiny, even - step and then celebrate it (providing yourself a little dopamine shot).

The neuroscience of the idea is that the hippocampus in the middle brain functions as a sort of security, alarm system for the brain. When we get overwhelmed we enter into a fight or flight response. There are additionally modes of freeze or fawn.

What you're describing is a freeze response. A feeling of overwhelm that's like a deer in headlights. The nervous system is overwhelmed and attempting to find safety.

In this situation, if just getting out of bed is a struggle, you could make the goal of just sitting up in bed. When you're able to achieve that, try to celebrate that - to the best of your ability. Feel the win.

This provides the brain with a shot of dopamine. The presence of dopamine signals to the hippocampus that perhaps - just maybe - a car isn't actually heading to us. Freeing up this brain processing power allows the frontal lobe to bring on more cognitive functioning.

This practice of celebrating small wins has been helpful for me.
Huh, I just learned about that the other day. I've been going through something similar.

Reactions: WAITING TO DIE and AllCatsAreGrey
WAITING TO DIE

WAITING TO DIE

TORMENTED
Sep 30, 2023
I go through this everyday.
I just say to myself " Don't think about it - just do it ".
Yet, this is easier said than done.

Reactions: AllCatsAreGrey
Amyend88

Amyend88

A&E
Oct 22, 2023
Sometimes I want to stay in bed all day with my cats ♥️

• Love
Reactions: Shiva_Story