Hydration

Hydration

science
May 29, 2020
I apologize if this thread is formatted incorrectly, but #Suicide is currently trending on Twitter. And the focus appears to be reposting the suicide hotline. And I legitimately don't understand. Who exactly is this supposed to help? Is this just another example of slacktivism? I would like some insight.

Reactions: _Minsk
SpottedPanda

SpottedPanda

I'm all about coffee and cigarettes
Jul 24, 2019
Twitter is a disgusting arrangement. I can't help but feel like Twitter compels more people to take their life than anything else. It's unbelievably toxic.

I may be jaded and worn, but I personally see no value in calling a suicide hotline. The best they could do is talk me out of it or put me through to the psychiatric or social services. I'm quite capable of changing my own mind, and I think therapy would be wasted on me.

• Love
Reactions: AprilsBlessings, Hydration, KLUF and 3 others
Torbasco

Torbasco

Jun 10, 2020
Twitter is a disgusting arrangement. I can't help but feel like Twitter compels more people to take their life than anything else. It's unbelievably toxic.

I may be jaded and worn, but I personally see no value in calling a suicide hotline. The best they could do is talk me out of it or put me through to the psychiatric or social services. I'm quite capable of changing my own mind, and I think therapy would be wasted on me.
Yeah, I've tried it a few times and they were never helpful. All they do is point you towards medical services and give you compliments they've been trained to give. Some people love to think it's some magical solution that suicidal people (of all people) are somehow unaware of, and that they're helping by giving you the number so they can feel good about themselves.

Reactions: Hydration, _Minsk and Despondent
ZardozOmega

ZardozOmega

Narcissist Gay NEET-cel
Mar 4, 2020
Suicide hotlines are fucking garbage. I heard terrible stories about them.

Reactions: Hydration