• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Lotus

Lotus

Experienced
Dec 17, 2019
Hello. I have cried for almost a day now. As some of you know I'm a student. Yesterday morning began with the last exam for the semester. I was anxious enough already, and I threw up multiple times before it started. It was a digital oral exam, which made me even more anxious. Anyway, I started the exam and so far it went alright. Suddenly, in the middle of the exam I got several techical issues. We got four cases, and only 10 minutes on each, so it was obvious that it destroyed the whole thing. I told them immediately when it happened, because they promised us that they would give those of us that experienced techical difficulties like this a little more time in the end of the day. When the end of the day came everyone had gone home! I was left alone with this stuff hanging on my shoulders. I don't know what's going to happen next. After calling the faculty like 15 times crying my eyes out they just said that they can't do anything with it, and they can call me tomorrow.. I'm so sad, frustrated and feel like I have no voice. What if I fail because of this? I feel humiliated. I'm really trying to give recovery a chance, but there's always something like this that drags me down. What's the point when the effort I put in everything I do is just falling apart...

sufferingalways

sufferingalways

Avoiding flashing images, epilepsy.
Apr 26, 2020
Hello Lotus I am so sorry for your anxiety from this.
Can you write down for the faculty Head that you were promised by (name of tutor) what you told us here in your post? Tell the Faculty Head how you suffer with anxiety and how this caused you an attack. Ask for their discretion snd ask that what was promised is delivered to thise of you who had technical problems during the exam.

If possible try to look on the college website for disability and how they claim to support students woth disabilities. That should make your case stronger.

Im studying law over here (when I recover i will be back to it) and my end goal will be to give a voice to anyone who feels their voice hasn't been heard.

I personally do things All in writing as people can forget a phone call but not a letter. Sending you Hugs. :heart: :hug:

Last edited:
Weather

Weather

Student
Oct 18, 2020
It sounds like you've had a very stressful day. I am so sorry that you had technical issues and it messed the whole exam up. I would send an email to whichever professor is in charge of the exam (and perhaps the Department Chair if you don't think that professor will not take it seriously), explaining what had happened (technical issues while taking the exam, reached out immediately, was told to address it at the end of the day, but then no one was there) and asking for a time to meet tomorrow to discuss what the options are. I think it's important to have it documented in writing on the day of the exam as well as to make it clear to the person(s) who can help to rectify it what had happened and the efforts you made.

I know that not all college instructors are like me, but if this happened to one of my students, we would fix it -- no big deal. Things like this happen all the time, and if I told someone that I can't deal with it tonight, that would literally mean that I can't deal with it tonight, but would do so tomorrow. Please don't feel humiliated. Really, these things happen. Write the email.

T

timf

Enlightened
Mar 26, 2020
It sounds like you are capable of intense concentration and focus. This would make you vulnerable to a tendency to put all of your "eggs" in one basket. When something happens to the basket, it can be overwhelming. You might try to protect yourself by allocating some of your emotional resources to activities unrelated to your educational objectives.

I knew an immigrant who was working on his PhD when his advisor told him that he would never get his degree and the advisor would essentially use him as a slave to produce work that the advisor would claim credit for. The guy finally gave up and went to work in industry.

There are people who will do things that are unfair. If you make a 100% emotional investment in something someone else controls, you risk an emotional catastrophe if things do not go well. With financial investments a diversified portfolio is usually recommended. The same might be advised for emotional investments.

• Love
Reactions: whywere and Lotus
Lotus

Lotus

Experienced
Dec 17, 2019
Sorry for my late replies. I've been having anxiety attacks all day. I haven't been able to eat, and I'm throwing up bile constantly. I've lost 4 kg in a week, and that's quite a lot when I'm already underweight. I've been in such a bad shape that I haven't really been able to be active here. I hope I get better in the days to come.

Hello Lotus I am so sorry for your anxiety from this.
Can you write down for the faculty Head that you were promised by (name of tutor) what you told us here in your post? Tell the Faculty Head how you suffer with anxiety and how this caused you an attack. Ask for their discretion snd ask that what was promised is delivered to thise of you who had technical problems during the exam.

If possible try to look on the college website for disability and how they claim to support students woth disabilities. That should make your case stronger.

Im studying law over here (when I recover i will be back to it) and my end goal will be to give a voice to anyone who feels their voice hasn't been heard.

I personally do things All in writing as people can forget a phone call but not a letter. Sending you Hugs. :heart: :hug:
Thanks for your kind words. I've tried to reach out to the faculty again, but it's like they've put up a wall and are not receptive to any further feedbacks. I will look into what my options are. I have the option to complain, but then I won't get my result, so it's a risky move if it's any chance that I will pass the exam. I will first talk to my psychiatrist, and then a neutral person at the university tomorrow that helps in cases like this. Then I have 3 weeks to decide if I want to complain. I've got most of the details in written form now, so I have documentation if necessary.

I'm glad to hear that you're planning to help those who aren't heard when you get back to your studies. You sound like a really nice person with a lot of empathy. Thanks for replying and supporting me. :hug:

It sounds like you've had a very stressful day. I am so sorry that you had technical issues and it messed the whole exam up. I would send an email to whichever professor is in charge of the exam (and perhaps the Department Chair if you don't think that professor will not take it seriously), explaining what had happened (technical issues while taking the exam, reached out immediately, was told to address it at the end of the day, but then no one was there) and asking for a time to meet tomorrow to discuss what the options are. I think it's important to have it documented in writing on the day of the exam as well as to make it clear to the person(s) who can help to rectify it what had happened and the efforts you made.

I know that not all college instructors are like me, but if this happened to one of my students, we would fix it -- no big deal. Things like this happen all the time, and if I told someone that I can't deal with it tonight, that would literally mean that I can't deal with it tonight, but would do so tomorrow. Please don't feel humiliated. Really, these things happen. Write the email.
Thank you so much for your understanding. It was very stressful indeed. I've done what you've said, but again, the faculty isn't very interested in hearing this right now. They are not interested in a solution whatsoever, so my option is to give a formal complaint or just wait for the result (1 month is a long time with my anxiety troubles).

I appreciate your kind words and suggestions. I wish my faculty had more people like you. I feel so alone in this.

It sounds like you are capable of intense concentration and focus. This would make you vulnerable to a tendency to put all of your "eggs" in one basket. When something happens to the basket, it can be overwhelming. You might try to protect yourself by allocating some of your emotional resources to activities unrelated to your educational objectives.

I knew an immigrant who was working on his PhD when his advisor told him that he would never get his degree and the advisor would essentially use him as a slave to produce work that the advisor would claim credit for. The guy finally gave up and went to work in industry.

There are people who will do things that are unfair. If you make a 100% emotional investment in something someone else controls, you risk an emotional catastrophe if things do not go well. With financial investments a diversified portfolio is usually recommended. The same might be advised for emotional investments.
Thank you, and you're absolutely right. I know that I have a tendency to focus on one thing, that it's almost overwhelming, and if something goes wrong I feel like everything has fallen apart. I'm an expert on catastrophic thinking. I will try to protect myself with the suggestions you mention. I know I should do it, but it's tougher than one would think, and I'm just so exhausted and paralyzed with anxiety.

Thanks for your inputs. I can really relate to what you're saying, and I know I need to protect myself from these things. I will try to take it up with my psychiatrist tomorrow.

sufferingalways

sufferingalways

Apr 26, 2020
Hi @Lotus I find it disgusting that your faculty won't listen to reason. I agree with the person who said send email.

Please forgive my ignorance as I don't work in a college, but why would you not get your exam result if you made a complaint?

Lotus

Lotus

Experienced
Dec 17, 2019
Hi @Lotus I find it disgusting that your faculty won't listen to reason. I agree with the person who said send email.

Please forgive my ignorance as I don't work in a college, but why would you not get your exam result if you made a complaint?
Thanks for your support. I don't disagree.

It's stupid university laws. If you make a complaint about something that happened during the exam that could have affected the exam result, you get a 3 weeks deadline to send it. The deadline runs from the time you should have been familiar about it (which was on Tuesday). The generel deadline for them to give us the exam results is 3 weeks, but they add 10 extra days now because of Christmas. If you give a formal complaint about something wrong that happened during the exam, your exam result will be "frozen". I don't know if I explained this very well. It's both very frustrating and a risky move. My mom think I passed based on what I've said, and that I should wait and see and that it's too risky to complain. I am not sure myself. I'll talk to my therapist and the neutral faculty representant tomorrow, and possibly get closer to a choice.

Thank you all for reading and caring. It means a lot. I feel so alone in this.

sufferingalways

sufferingalways

Apr 26, 2020
Thanks for your support. I don't disagree.

It's stupid university laws. If you make a complaint about something that happened during the exam that could have affected the exam result, you get a 3 weeks deadline to send it. The deadline runs from the time you should have been familiar about it (which was on Tuesday). The generel deadline for them to give us the exam results is 3 weeks, but they add 10 extra days now because of Christmas. If you give a formal complaint about something wrong that happened during the exam, your exam result will be "frozen". I don't know if I explained this very well. It's both very frustrating and a risky move. My mom think I passed based on what I've said, and that I should wait and see and that it's too risky to complain. I am not sure myself. I'll talk to my therapist and the neutral faculty representant tomorrow, and possibly get closer to a choice.

Thank you all for reading and caring. It means a lot. I feel so alone in this.
Ugh politics. Could you , after the grade, "raise a concern Instead?" In the new year? Maybe even anonymously?

I have read some web pages about healthcare issues (NHS or something.) and this seems a more light hearted approach, but don't take me for granted its just a guess to try and help you.
Would this be a possibility for you? I feel sad for you. :heart:

• Love
Reactions: whywere and Lotus
Lotus

Lotus

Experienced
Dec 17, 2019
Ugh politics. Could you , after the grade, "raise a concern Instead?" In the new year? Maybe even anonymously?

I have read some web pages about healthcare issues (NHS or something.) and this seems a more light hearted approach, but don't take me for granted its just a guess to try and help you.
Would this be a possibility for you? I feel sad for you. :heart:
Thanks again for your support and all of your suggestions. :hug: I will try to figure it out tomorrow. This digital oral exam was so rushed that technical issues was really destined to happen, but the faculty takes no responsibility. Whatever I decide, they should really get some feedback on how they chose to do the exam this semester. Total chaos.

• Love
Reactions: whywere
W

whywere

Visionary
Jun 26, 2020
After reading your exam issues, I cried for you. That is the worst as far as in this day in age with everything online and really with covid, they should go out of their way and help you. when someone is giving 110% on something THEN the people at the university should also. I am sending you hugs and the belief that you are very smart, kind and you will do great!

• Love
Reactions: Lotus
DepressoEspresso

DepressoEspresso

Dec 27, 2019
I'm sorry you had to go through this. I would be lying if I said this didn't hit close to home. I'm about to finish my last final and it's so stressful. You clearly care and I think it's going to be okay. You called, you did what you could, you're doing the best that you can. I hope this gets resolved for you soon.

• Love
Lotus

Lotus

Experienced
Dec 17, 2019
After reading your exam issues, I cried for you. That is the worst as far as in this day in age with everything online and really with covid, they should go out of their way and help you. when someone is giving 110% on something THEN the people at the university should also. I am sending you hugs and the belief that you are very smart, kind and you will do great!
Thank you so much for your understanding. It truly means a lot to me. Yes, I understand that things were a little rushed last semester, but now they had so much time to plan the exam. They were originally going for a regular exam, but decided to do this only a month in advance. The students were so frustrated and the questions just came running in. I'm very sad and still anxious, but it help to have your support. Thanks for your very kind words. I appreciate it.
I'm sorry you had to go through this. I would be lying if I said this didn't hit close to home. I'm about to finish my last final and it's so stressful. You clearly care and I think it's going to be okay. You called, you did what you could, you're doing the best that you can. I hope this gets resolved for you soon.
Thanks, it means a lot. I feel less alone in this. I'm sorry that you're going through a stressful time. I was having a terrible time before and during my exam period, and I'm not having the best of time now after it to say the least. I hope you get a better experience than me, and you probably will. I guess this is like a worst-case scenario. I wish you good luck on your final, and thanks for your good wishes. I really hope it gets resolved.

Lotus

Lotus

Experienced
Dec 17, 2019
So it ended with me failing the exam because of the technical issues. I feel so numb. I don't know what to do now. I should look into the opportunities to complain... but I feel so ashamed.

• Aww..
Reactions: Fin
Lotus

Lotus

Experienced
Dec 17, 2019
So after months, and me ofc re-taking the exam, this has finally been reviewed by a team that's independent from the faculty. They were harsh about the faculty's response and how the faculty handled it. It doesn't matter now. I've passed this exam months ago, but it feels nice to know that this hasn't just been in my head. The faculty made me feel so stupid, little and alone, and it's nice to get it confirmed by no less than 5 other people that I wasn't wrong in this. So I'm just crying here obviously, but it's relief I guess.

Makko

Makko

Iä!
Jan 17, 2021
So after months, and me ofc re-taking the exam, this has finally been reviewed by a team that's independent from the faculty. They were harsh about the faculty's response and how the faculty handled it. It doesn't matter now. I've passed this exam months ago, but it feels nice to know that this hasn't just been in my head. The faculty made me feel so stupid, little and alone, and it's nice to get it confirmed by no less than 5 other people that I wasn't wrong in this. So I'm just crying here obviously, but it's relief I guess.
The whole digital exam thing is still in its infancy and universities that are accustomed to on-site exams are having trouble with developing satisfactory protocol for it. Something similar happened to me once and I had to threaten with lawsuits and public scandal to make them give me my stupid grade.

• Love
N

netrezven

Mage
Dec 13, 2018
Wanna say this - if an exam is a problem, start imagining real life after graduation. I used to directly not go on exams, only because i was on the beach and didn't want to waste time for them. I always leaned only the day and night before the exam. Never was there during lessons. Never cared at all. Well the cut me off from the most important and final exam, but i went again in a month and somehow made it.
The only time i put some effort is the only time i failed in exams. Just don't care, it doesn't sound like teaches do care that much. The only reason for university outside of some science world is to have a party and delay real life.

Lotus

Lotus

Experienced
Dec 17, 2019
The whole digital exam thing is still in its infancy and universities that are accustomed to on-site exams are having trouble with developing satisfactory protocol for it. Something similar happened to me once and I had to threaten with lawsuits and public scandal to make them give me my stupid grade.
Thank you, it means a lot to me.