C

ctbsd24

Oct 8, 2024
Quick question for any rope experts out there.

I have a 12mm, double-braided nylon dockline rope for a full suspension hanging. Unfortunately, the smallest length I was able to obtain is 25 feet. Obviously, I don't need that much. Probably not even half that much. Is there a way to cut the rope so it doesn't fray or lose it's strength/integrity?

H

heyhoherewego

Sep 13, 2024
Quick question for any rope experts out there.

I have a 12mm, double-braided nylon dockline rope for a full suspension hanging. Unfortunately, the smallest length I was able to obtain is 25 feet. Obviously, I don't need that much. Probably not even half that much. Is there a way to cut the rope so it doesn't fray or lose it's strength/integrity?
i ran into the same problem, i have nothing which can quickly and sharply make the cut. but wrapping some tape at the cut end might prevent fraying and maintain the integrity of the rope, alteast thats what ive done

Reactions: ctbsd24
C

ctbsd24

Oct 8, 2024
i ran into the same problem, i have nothing which can quickly and sharply make the cut. but wrapping some tape at the cut end might prevent fraying and maintain the integrity of the rope, alteast thats what ive done
thanks. I might try that if I don't hear from anyone else. I know at least one source online said to wrap it in duct tape and cut the rope kind of in the middle of the tape. Not sure where I can find a tool to cut it cleanly enough.

Reactions: heyhoherewego
Worndown

Worndown

Visionary
Mar 21, 2019
No reason to cut it, just let the extra rope hang. Make sure the extra is at your tie-off point.

• Love
U

UnlovedUnlived

Jun 24, 2024
At work I use a few wraps of electrical tape and then cut it with a knife. It's really the only way to prevent fraying unless it's a synthetic rope where you can melt it afterwards.

• Informative
C

ctbsd24

Oct 8, 2024
At work I use a few wraps of electrical tape and then cut it with a knife. It's really the only way to prevent fraying unless it's a synthetic rope where you can melt it afterwards.
It's double-braided nylon dockline (see picture). Would tape/knife work for it? Also, duct tape or electrical tape?

Attachments

• 20241007_164906.jpg
    20241007_164906.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Worndown

Worndown

Visionary
Mar 21, 2019
If you must cut it, tape at the cut will help. Then you nerd a lighter to gently melt the cut end so it will not fray. Better off leaving it. Who knows, you might need to change location and need a longer rope.

• Informative
C

ctbsd24

Oct 8, 2024
If you must cut it, tape at the cut will help. Then you nerd a lighter to gently melt the cut end so it will not fray. Better off leaving it. Who knows, you might need to change location and need a longer rope.
Thanks, you've always been a super helpful resource 🙂