Dyingtoleave

Dyingtoleave

Apr 11, 2022
I have absolutely no motivation and cant keep a job because of panic attacks. The only way i could work again is by becoming a programmer and work from my home but i also hear that its really demanding and has really long hours. Can anyone tell me how it looks like to be a programmer and how hard/easy it is ? etc.

• Hugs
Reactions: pikku.tiikeri
J

Julgran

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
I have absolutely no motivation and cant keep a job because of panic attacks. The only way i could work again is by becoming a programmer and work from my home but i also hear that its really demanding and has really long hours. Can anyone tell me how it looks like to be a programmer and how hard/easy it is ? etc.

Good on you for having some ambition in life - it takes great strength for that!

I work with software developers, so I'm not one myself, but if you want to be respected in your job, you should always be ready to help your colleagues with whatever they ask of you - that's the golden ticket, from my perspective.

So, to the question of whether the job is demanding, or not - that's up to you and your manager. I have had two jobs within Customer Service, and at my current job, the developers don't care to help out by explaining how our software services work, which has resulted in the customers getting extremely angry, since they can't get the support that they need, and the company basically going bankrupt.

Therefore, it's all up to you what kind of customer/work environment that you want to create or contribute to.

Reactions: artificial_ineptness
artificial_ineptness

artificial_ineptness

Nov 14, 2021
Probably impossible to give you good info, as it would depend a lot on where you're from, the company, what kind of work you're doing, your abilities etc., etc. You can get anything from Chinese 996 to Westerners seemingly doing nothing but jerking off and browsing memes at work to get their 200k paychecks.

That aside, it might be your best bet, if you want to minimize going outside / human interaction, though. My personal experience with a vaguely related field has been alright: no long hours (me and several co-workers have worked part time for extended periods), not much pressure to perform, almost never left my house either and essentially spend most of my time alone.

The only "but" is that I don't think I'd complain about any work, since I just like being distracted and wasting my time being a workaholic until I ctb as I have nothing better to do. You're probably better off looking for local info and outside of SaSu, maybe also Glassdoor or something, as that would be most relevant and accurate for you.

• Informative
Reactions: Julgran
Q

Quiet Desperation

Lonely wanderer
Dec 7, 2020
How many hours and how demanding you find it depends some on your experience, personal productivity, and where you work. You're not really going to know that until you try. If it is something that you think you might enjoy, I'd encourage you to give it a shot. The pay can be pretty excellent and for someone who has difficulty socially I think it is one of the better career options. Whether it will work for you is a very personal thing though.

Also, don't know if you've already tried but as someone who has had panic attacks before I'd look into treatment if you can, they can be made more manageable.