codedarchaeologist

codedarchaeologist

everybody ends up where the river meets the sea
Jan 21, 2023
The 'death drive' is a psychoanalytical theory coined by Freud, asserting that the reproductive, life-maintaining 'life drive' has a dualistic opposite, a 'death drive' that seeks to end life. To quote Oxford Reference, "the death-drive manifests in the psyche as a tendency toward self-destruction, or more precisely the elimination of tension, which can also be turned outwards, whereby it becomes aggression". That is, everyone has this inherent destructive instinct that manifests as either self-destructiveness or antisociality.

I feel like this idea could explain a lot of how I feel, personally. I don't feel like I really have a reason to hurt myself, I just want to. I don't do things despite them being bad for me, I do them because they're bad for me. So if the theory has merit, it could explain why I and others are so attractive to things that are bad for us.

What do you think? Is there anything to this or is it just another one of Freud's freak theories

Reactions: AInilam, Skathon, Kobusu and 3 others
heyrabu

heyrabu

No one can understand me
Feb 11, 2023
It's make sense, I guess? Doesn't really have anymore impression on that, but I kinda agree that to some extend, every being have that kind of tendency to selfdestruct

Reactions: codedarchaeologist and Shivali
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
It's interesting. I'm not sure really. Does self harm and suicide come about primarily through aggression? I've only ever done light self harm- hitting myself. In my case- it HAS been out of extreme anger and frustration towards myself- mainly my incompetency. Still- I get the impression lots of people self harm to feel release.

I think we ultimately kill ourselves to release ourselves. Although the act CAN certainly be a violent one- I think many of us try to avoid that- hence- why we are all on here looking for peaceful methods. I'd argue that in many cases- suicide ISN'T actually our prime wish or goal- death is. Not a violent death either- a peaceful one. Suicide is just something we have to go through to get it- at a time of our chosing. If violence has to be employed- sometimes we'll reluctantly accept that to achieve the end goal but I wouldn't say it was our motive.

Reactions: ksp, codedarchaeologist and Shivali
leeloosnow

leeloosnow

Warlock
Aug 28, 2022
sounds like one of freud's more sane theories but yea i'd have to look into it more. interesting topic for sure ty

Reactions: Skathon, codedarchaeologist and Shivali
N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
I am only a layman but I don't believe in the death drive. Seems for me to be an outdated concept which many serious psychoanalytics reject. But I could be wrong with that.

Reactions: codedarchaeologist and lukas19
JuliaOnTheNet

JuliaOnTheNet

pew pew pew
Feb 14, 2023
I think that death-drive is rather something like a skill we are born with, that we. can use but is usually under control. It's what gives us the neccessary power for destructive action if they're needed. Some people direct that towards hating others, showing aggression outside and are simply being mean, while others direct that energy towards themselves, and end up being self destructive.
That's at least an explanation I can see myself in, now that I wrote a paragraph about me I realise it's just bullshit cope my mind comes up with to make me feel slightly better :(

It doesnt explain why some people are just doing fine (or maybe they are just pretending/coping) while still being rather nice to people.

I had two friends who did ctb. And both those friends were the nicest, compassionate and helpful people I encountered. What if they were that way because they surpressed their death-drive and directed it inside towards themselves. That's why they were so amazing or at least gave of the impression and that's why the ended up ctb

Kobusu

Kobusu

Writer
Oct 18, 2021
I disagree with the notion that it's a drive towards "death" as much as it is just a result of the chaos birthed from free will (or the illusion of it, should you not believe in free will).

Skathon

Skathon

"...scarred underneath, and I'm falling..."
Oct 29, 2018
Doesn't seem particularly scientific, yet I've always liked the description, as it applies to me perfectly.
Self-destructiveness is the primal core/most fundamental aspect of my personality/consciousness. It's what defines me.

todienomore

todienomore

Arcanist
Apr 7, 2023
Narcissist's Affair with Death Drive (Thanatos, Destrudo, Mortido)

Vaknin is brutal, worse than any horror movie

• Love
Reactions: SexyIncél