• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

G

ganpres37

Student
Aug 21, 2018
i'm curious to hear your guys's thoughts on this. here's the definition for those who don't know Screenshot 20190211 093148 DuckDuckGo

Last edited:
Reactions: wannabesetfree, Deathsrelease, brighter and 8 others
stellabelle

stellabelle

ethereal
Dec 14, 2018
It's fair.
Humans and human life is about as significant as bacteria.

Reactions: Deathsrelease, brighter, lemmeeleev and 5 others
W

wxtyubidi7y

Student
Jun 30, 2018
It goes without saying that things are ultimately meaningless imo. You can set goals and give yourself a purpose if you like but overall life can never have a 'meaning'.

Last edited:
Reactions: wannabesetfree, brighter, anelakapu and 5 others
C

CJM

Experienced
Jul 13, 2018
Honestly, the topic itself sounds like something I'd look up after a marathon mission on Wikipedia.
I just see us all as bags of meat with the odd feeling.

Reactions: brighter, StillWaiting, lemmeeleev and 2 others
YukiFox

YukiFox

Pastel demon
Dec 8, 2018
So I'm an existential nihilist. I want to find a meaning for my life, and nothing satisfies me. MY decisions and actions only made my life a less miserable, or I think that. Every person finds their own meaning for life, and it doesn't always mean happiness and hakuna matata state. I hate when the society sells for us that the good vibes must be the ideal state of mind. I think the nihilists we defend the right to despair or sadness.

Reactions: Deathsrelease, brighter, lemmeeleev and 2 others
Lil_Intro_Vert

Lil_Intro_Vert

she/they
Oct 15, 2018
Yeah, life doesn't appear to have any meaning, and imo the good stuff in life just isn't worth the pain, cause none of it lasts and none of it satisfies

Reactions: Morbid Cam, Deathsrelease, Redt2go and 2 others
I

interim

Feb 25, 2019
There are two types - positive and negative nihilists. Positive nihilists would consider the lack of meaning in life, as a possibility to create their own meaning. While for negative nihilists - there is no point, it's the total lack of motivation to do anything.

It really depends on one important thing, that many don't think much about it - using reason, being rational. Our best advantage over other species is our ability to be rational, to think, use reason. So, in theory, I'm with the positive nihilists, that you can create your own meaning, at least to some extend, by using your own mind, even if it's subjective. For example, many like comics, manga, which are definitely fantasy, but if that makes you happy, why not... For others - music can be a driving force, third - experiencing love (on this planet, we love dogs and cats, since it's generally too difficult to love each other). IMO, you can make the case, that this is possible, and it leaves some room for satisfaction and personal realization.

However, the key point in such idea is that people are reasonable creatures, and the mind can rule their life more then their biological instincts. In reality, most people are not rational, and I doubt they will ever be. It's just some individuals that can achieve some level of rationality. So in practice, I'm negative nihilist... our biological nature is just too strong. If reincarnation exists, I will definitely try to escape on another planet, that is better suited for this "create your own meaning" idea.

Reactions: ganpres37, lemmeeleev, Redt2go and 1 other person
Deathsrelease

Deathsrelease

Feb 22, 2019
I can assuredly say that existential nihilism is what has spurred me to the idea and the hopeful eventual execution of ctb. Going from wholeheartedly believing in (the Christian) God - and thus having meaning in one's life - to completely losing the faith and seeing no purpose to (one's) life, you can imagine how I ended up on here. (Of course, my story is more complicated than that, but that's essentially my experience with the topic at hand.)

Reactions: Morbid Cam and lemmeeleev
Deathsrelease

Deathsrelease

Feb 22, 2019
There are two types - positive and negative nihilists. Positive nihilists would consider the lack of meaning in life, as a possibility to create their own meaning. While for negative nihilists - there is no point, it's the total lack of motivation to do anything.

It really depends on one important thing, that many don't think much about it - using reason, being rational. Our best advantage over other species is our ability to be rational, to think, use reason. So, in theory, I'm with the positive nihilists, that you can create your own meaning, at least to some extend, by using your own mind, even if it's subjective. For example, many like comics, manga, which are definitely fantasy, but if that makes you happy, why not... For others - music can be a driving force, third - experiencing love (on this planet, we love dogs and cats, since it's generally too difficult to love each other). IMO, you can make the case, that this is possible, and it leaves some room for satisfaction and personal realization.

However, the key point in such idea is that people are reasonable creatures, and the mind can rule their life more then their biological instincts. In reality, most people are not rational, and I doubt they will ever be. It's just some individuals that can achieve some level of rationality. So in practice, I'm negative nihilist... our biological nature is just too strong. If reincarnation exists, I will definitely try to escape on another planet, that is better suited for this "create your own meaning" idea.
I guess I'm a negative nihilist then. No purpose, absolutely no motivation here.

Reactions: waived and lemmeeleev
Kyrok

Kyrok

Paragon
Nov 6, 2018
I'm not sure is nihilism is possible. That is, we may be unavoidably committed to values; and in virtue of that, so long as there are beings committed to value who exist, values exist.

If I need to pee, I have an interest in peeing, and value emptying my bladder when needed. I feel the need and have the interest. We cannot but want, and so we cannot but value.

Does this mean the only values are subjective? Not necessarily. We choose between interests and do so via criteria. That is, we have an interest as well in norms for how to order what we value.

Nihilism only arises when we think of values as not products of our practical reason. Even someone who affirms nihilism is doing so for a reason, an interest, a value to which they are committed. No escape from practical reason.