• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Namensjemand

Namensjemand

Cursed
Jul 16, 2023
Maybe I am now being evil and sick, but it is IMO a fun thought experiment what would happen if suicide booths were as legal and common as phone booths once were. Totally painless. Easy. Quick. Not very expensive. All over. All adults got access. Maybe a system where you are forced to reconsider / have to apply a number of times etc... but ultimately totally and freely available without much inconvinience at all.

What would be the consequences?

Certainly, suicides would go through the roof, I imagine. But death is IMO morally neutral. What matters is what is lived. More would loose people they care about or love. On the other hand, misery in life may become more of a cultural focus, or even what life is about. I have this weird and perhaps twisted notion that it could empower the disenfranchised and force meaninful change.

Discuss :D

Dolphin55

Dolphin55

Jan 7, 2023
Think people should need to go through a 6~ month application process to prevent any impulsive suicides. People do often regret impulsive suicides - in the heat of the moment it feels like their only option but then if theyre saved/it doesn't work they realise they do actually want to live/their problems aren't as bad as they thought. Most people on this website don't fall into that category obviously, but it is reasonably common.
People should also be offered treatment options like medication/counselling and housing/benefits if they're poor before being allowed to use the booths. But with those safeguards, I really think it would overall be better for society. Yes a lot of suicides, but ultimately a lot less suffering, and the goal should be less suffering not simply less deaths.

Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
The biggest danger with that scenario would be a snowball effect. That is, people upset about loved ones dying would then be inclined to use the booths themselves out of a combination of grief and a desire to 'follow' them. Then more people upset about them follow and the process multiplies across society. It would possibly reach a stage where there are major implications affecting the economy, property prices, etc.

There would also be a risk of a large number of children being abandoned if parents can depart at the drop of a hat.

And finally, there would be a new avenue for serial killers to legally drive victims to their demise, either for financial gain or sadistic pleasure.

All of these issues can happen as is, but there are at least some measures to limit it. Hence, the obvious solution is to have some sort of oversight of the process. This is very slowly starting to happen today, and even in a decade could be much more balanced than the draconian pro-life policies that dominate today.

D

Deathisbetter

-
Jun 3, 2023
you are not being evil and sick that's just what the brain does mine does it to I wonder alot of thoughts like that
Maybe I am now being evil and sick, but it is IMO a fun thought experiment what would happen if suicide booths were as legal and common as phone booths once were. Totally painless. Easy. Quick. Not very expensive. All over. All adults got access. Maybe a system where you are forced to reconsider / have to apply a number of times etc... but ultimately totally and freely available without much inconvinience at all.

Certainly, suicides would go through the roof, I imagine. But death is IMO morally neutral. What matters is what is lived. More would loose people they care about or love. On the other hand, misery in life may become more of a cultural focus, or even what life is about. I have this weird and perhaps twisted notion that it could empower the disenfranchised and force meaninful change.

Reactions: Namensjemand
Namensjemand

Namensjemand

Cursed
Jul 16, 2023
you are not being evil and sick that's just what the brain does mine does it to I wonder alot of thoughts like that
Yeah ok honestly, on second thought it is probably as bad an idea as it sounds. But for an hour or so it really seemed to make so much sense xD Would be a cool novel.

CTB Dream

CTB Dream

Disabled. Hard talk, don't argue, make fun, etc
Sep 17, 2022
All life bld delusn bld nonsns, life bld opres unfair cruel etc all even human hstry all lie all cruel, this thermo also keep make ppl poor frc sffr from life, see this sstm bld ppl sffr also bad make ppl ignrnt cuz age ltl ppl reprdct many ppl no time enrgy undrstd wrld lie.

if scty say ctb ok, all human nonsns crumb all fall, wrld start objctv etc ,this Also posbl human all extnct cuz lrn life all wrng all disapre

• Hugs
Reactions: LoiteringClouds
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
So long as they label them clearly enough- don't want people thinking it's a public toilet or something. Sorry- that's a really sick joke.

Personally, I'm not in favour for suicide for all- no questions asked. I'm not so sure there would be any incentive for governments to support people who were struggling if they knew that if they just left them- chances are they'd kill themselves in the end. I feel sure our governments prefer money to people. I expect they'd quite like to get rid of those who take more than they give. I guess there might be an outcry from families maybe...

Plus- there's no assesment on the person's mental capacity. There's no talking through of options and the OFFER of support (I'm not stipulating that someone should accept that help.) Plus- presumably- no age limit. Children killing themselves because they failed a maths test.

I just think such an open system is unrealistic. I ran a poll the other week to see how many people thought their families would support them in their wish to die- if they were granted assisted suicide. The amount was a tiny fraction of people. Do you really think families wouldn't react negatively if their teenage child popped out to the corner shop and didn't come back?!! We're adults and we don't think our families would support our decision! (For the main part.) I think a lot of people who are in favour of this kind of thing ONLY think about their own death. So long as they 'get out'- the repercussions and likelihood the scheme will survive doesn't seem to bother them.

I know this is a light (or maybe dark) humoured post but I think when it comes to discussing assisted suicide- it's kind of important to be realistic about it. Obviously- autonomy is what drives us. Our right to choose. Still- for a policy like this to be introduced- I think we need to be thinking about the larger picture- including how it can be abused! Yes granny- the toilet is this way... You don't need your purse... We'll hang on to it and wait for you outside...

Namensjemand

Namensjemand

Cursed
Jul 16, 2023
@Forever Sleep
What would be a proper way to do it then?

But my fantasy foresaw age restrictions and some kind of procedure, I must remind you. Then we could broadcast suicides like we now broadcast financials or covid tests and we could change as a society to make life more about... life. Or we would grow cold and your fault if you don't want to live..hm.. I guess more likely.

F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
@Forever Sleep
What would be a proper way to do it then?

But my fantasy foresaw age restrictions and some kind of procedure, I must remind you. Then we could broadcast suicides like we now broadcast financials or covid tests and we could change as a society to make life more about... life. Or we would grow cold and your fault if you don't want to live..hm.. I guess more likely.

Hmm- but is your system all computerized? Simply a booth that ascertains your age and how many times you've been there? Then- green lights you if you comply? How does it ascertain your mental capacity? How does it know whether you are being coerced? Do you think someone with alzheimers could use it without assistance? In which case- WHO is assisting them? Their greedy families who want their inheritance early?

I suppose I envisage something similar to what we already see in places like Switzerland- clinics with trained staff. EXCEPT- allowing more people access to it- anyone of sound mind over 18 to my mind. Plus- cheaper! Personally- I feel like there should be an assessment of their mental capacity to be able to make the decision and a waiting period- maybe up to 6 months. I think the person should be OFFERED (but not forced to accept) treatment in that time.

I think there have been cases where- just the opportunity to be able to be open and talk about suicide with a person in the initial assessment process has been enough for SOME people to realise they weren't quite ready for it but they DID need to talk about it with someone. I'm not so sure that picking options from a drop-down menu or whatever would feel quite as caring.

The concept of suicide booths or nembutal vending machines DOESN'T actually make me think it would bring the subject of suicide out into the open. I just think you'd get people doing what they do now- hiding it from their families and sneaking off to die. Then- you'd likely get outrage and the policy would be overturned. I simply think policies need to be realistic in order to be sustainable.

I think- ideally- it should be encouraged to get families to support the person's decision. They're less likely to sue that way- from a legal perspective. They will get the chance to acclimatise to the decision rather than putting out missing person's reports when their loved one didn't return home and being given the news that they killed themselves. They could even be offered councilling themselves before and after the event.

Does your system allow for loved ones to be present to say goodbye? How is the death automated inside the booth? Wouldn't they be killed also?!! Wouldn't it be nicer if families could be with them to say goodbye?

How would your system deal with organ donation? Surely- that would be a positive change with assisted suicide? Do the bodies drop through some trap door at the bottom into cold storage? What about if the families want to have the body to bury/cremate? I don't know- it just all seems a bit cold and impersonal to me. Like a vending machine almost with options- Would you like to have your loved ones body processed on-site today? You can opt for a pot of ashes or they'll be boxed up in a coffin to collect in a few minutes. Please do consider organ donation. Do we have your permission to remove your loved ones organs now while you wait?

I think- the thing about suicidal people is- many of us don't care about what happens to our bodies. We see life as being cheap. Many couldn't give a damn what happens to them after death. It won't be you that complains though! It will be your families. Do you think they'd be happy to accompany you to one of these booths to say goodbye? Do you suppose they'd like the idea of what (presumably) machines are doing to your body to A.) Kill you and B.) Prepare you for burial/ cremation/ organ donation? People are kind of funny when it comes to respecting dead bodies of loved ones. I'm not sure they'd be keen on the idea of an automated process... Or- MUCH worse- if they don't know about it at all- what happens? They get a pot of ashes through the mail? I don't think they'd be pleased!

I guess- I just think with machines- there's more ways to hoodwink them. It would only take a few minors to get through- or someone their family claims was mentally incompetant to use one and there'd be uproar.

I'm not disagreeing with you that assisted suicide should be a right for more people. It's just the automated fast food approach I'm not keen on! How would that particular approach make our lives any better than just more clinics popping up with fewer restrictions?

F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
@Forever Sleep
Alright! I was being evil and sick. You got me.

Nah- not at all. I think we all enjoy that Futurama suicide booth cartoon- it's just the practicalities of it get a bit squemish! I enjoy gallows humour myself. It's kind of flippant to laugh at our own deaths. Maybe not so nice to consider family members being treated like that.

I think a lot of the time- it's all about the people left behind. Think about how many relatives tell us to just bury/ cremate them in a cardboard box or something! Yet- how many of us would feel comfortable doing that? Probably another way we all fall victim to capitalism really- most people want to respect their relatives remains. It's kind of like the last thing they do for them I guess. But no- I don't think you're evil by any means!

CTBookOfLife

CTBookOfLife

į“¶įµ˜Ė¢įµ— įµƒ Ė¢Ź°įµ‰Ė”Ė” įµ’į¶  įµƒ įµ‡įµ’įµˆŹø Ź·ā±įµ—Ź° įµįµƒāæŹø įµā±āæįµˆĖ¢
Aug 5, 2023

For this to actually make life better, the whole mental health system would have to be re-done as well.. think about it.

Who have higher levels of suicidality? Minorities, those oppressed. The same people that the "system" could care less if they die. Eugenics, as it's called.

I'll approach this from "transgender view" since I trust my ability to explain that best. We have extremely inflated rates of suicidality, and many do not give a fuck.

If suicide is accessible, with less access to resources to recover, options OTHER than suicide, is that really pro-choice? For instance, if this was implemented now, during the flood of anti-trans bills, can you truly trust that these people have the choice of everyone in mind? Or would they simply use good things for bad like so many humans do?

Is it really pro-choice if people are shown suicide as the ultimate option since no one will help them do anything other than that? If it's so easy and cheap to CTB, but still so hard and expensive to get recovery help, IS IT TRULY PRO-CHOICE?

Anyway, rant over.

Reactions: LoiteringClouds
xlostie

xlostie

All I wanna hear is music
Aug 20, 2023
Someone gets drunk and decide that they are in a silly goofy mood (and they are from the Balkans) : D