Rounded Apathy

Rounded Apathy

Longing to return to stardust
Aug 8, 2022
I live in a shared house which is pretty open concept. The ground floor has the living room, dining area, kitchen and everything - my room door is at the top of the 2nd floor staircase. One of my housemates eats like he is trying to fucking dig the food out of a pit that is magically enclosed in folded space inside of some folded universe in the bowl or plate or whatever the fuck else he's eating off of - SCRAPE SCRAPE SCRAPE SCRAPE SCRAPE. EVERY TIME. Well before he is anywhere near the end of the dish. It's almost like my door isn't even closed, that sound goes right through it.

What the fuck is wrong with you?!? I get it if you're almost done and you do it a bit to get the last lingering goodness, but I have been forced to hear this shit for ten fucking minutes and I wanna put that fork through someone's eye, I don't even care if it's my own at this point. Holy shit.

Maybe this can become a thread for bitching about things you know on the grand scale are pretty insignificant, but still make your goddamn blood boil. Ugh!

(I think he's finally fucking done...)

• Hugs
  • Yay!
Reactions: CowsAgainstCapitali, StolenLife, Exact Change and 7 others
dtjb

dtjb

The Obsolete
Apr 27, 2022
Lol that would drive me nuts.

My roommate seemingly cannot shut the cabinets in our kitchen without slamming them closed. Early in the morning, late at night... It's so annoying lol. I don't understand it.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: makethepainstop, SamTam33 and Rounded Apathy
jodes2

jodes2

Hello people ❤️
Aug 28, 2022
Lol sorry you're going through that ❤️

Reactions: Rounded Apathy
Rounded Apathy

Rounded Apathy

Longing to return to stardust
Aug 8, 2022
Lol that would drive me nuts.

My roommate seemingly cannot shut the cabinets in our kitchen without slamming them closed. Early in the morning, late at night... It's so annoying lol. I don't understand it.
Goddamn. I also hate that shit. Like, can you please be a little less barbaric for the one half second it takes to put the things back where they belong? Ffs

Using my own thread here, though this is decidedly less trivial; that same housemate now has covid, determined by a test nonchalantly performed in the living room, without a mask or goddamn anything. I seriously don't comprehend people. Christ. Anyway me being the considerate human I am decide to call the podiatrist's office where I had an appointment after this revelation to ask if it's still okay to come; they say if I test negaitve it's fine.

Of course I do - if anything I'll be dying in a couple of days - but when I show up the god damn doctor is sick. Not like violently ill or anything, but even behind his N95 I can see facial flushing, and he coughs pretty heavily both times he has to leave the room to bring something back in.

Made me feel really stupid and exhausted for basically always looking out for others and modifying my life/behaviour/actions/whatever in their best interest. I can only be the good conscientious person for so long while never seeming to get anything back. Fack

Last edited:
Reactions: onlyanimalsaregood
Nightbird

Nightbird

Sep 14, 2022
I feel for you. I have the same issue with my Dad (I'm caregiver to both he and my Mom). Whenever he eats (and I feed him at least 3x/day) I put on headphones - big cans that completely cover my ears. He has to have utensils in constant motion, stabbing his bowl (even if it's only filled with fckn broth!), tapping the times of his fork across his plate, and scraping his knife all over the place. He's always done this so it's not some helpless old man thing I'm making fun of. On top of this, he's a noisy chewer who refuses dental care. Ever heard someone go after a pork chop with 5 teeth? Trust me, it's the stuff of nightmares.

You should look up misophonia if you haven't already - it's a real condition that describes a deep sensitivity to certain sounds - chewing, gum cracking, pen-clicking, etc. that results in a feeling of helpless rage. Then treat yourself to a set of big ole headphones (mine were under $30 on Amazon) and play something that's gigantically crunchy & busy from start to finish like "Woman" by Wolfmother. 🎸🎸🎸

• Yay!
Reactions: SamTam33 and Lostandlooking
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Good idea- a pet peeve thread...

Do feel bad for you. Sharing isn't great. Especially when your flatmates irritate you.

My neighbours air compressor goes off at all sorts of unusual hours- 2am, 3am, 4am. He seems never to sleep- or maybe sleep during the day. So, I try to drown it all out with something on YouTube. A mild annoyance I know but it's hard when you can't get back to sleep. On top of that, I work from home, so I'm always taking in parcels for him. Kind of annoying to be disturbed during the day and the night.

Don't want to complain either because I hate having bad blood with people. Can't really say- can you sleep at normal hours in your own home? Plus, he's actually a nice guy despite being noisily nocturnal.

Still- things can ALWAYS be worse. I lived next door to a university campus once and pretty much every morning in the small hours was some sort of drunken agro going on outside. I try and remind myself of those days when I get annoyed.

Reactions: SamTam33
S

SamTam33

Warlock
Oct 9, 2022
I hadn't seen misophonia discussed on here so I did a search. I don't know how I missed this thread because complaining about the sounds produced by other people is my favorite pastime.

I belly laughed at the description in the OP, then the pork chop and 5 teeth sent me over the edge 😂

When you articulate misophonia, it can be extremely funny.

My biggest trigger is the sounds people make with their respiratory system (?)

Repeated throat clearing, sniffling, coughing. When my mom belches, I scream. Why can't they contain the sounds coming out of their face?

Last night I had to run in place to keep from going outside and yelling at "WHOEVER THE FUCK IS SLAMMING ALL THOSE CAR DOORS!"

I had to do something to expend the energy of wanting to shout it from the middle of the street... Running in place worked.

Motorcycles, emergency sirens, barking dogs, kids screaming, the low thumping of base from someone's car, roofers, lawnmowers, delivery trucks that idle while the driver hops out, the sound of my neighbor's screen door slamming.... Fucking BIRDS.. It never ends.

I wish like hell I wasn't made this way.

Reactions: misophoned
Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
I have a few from retail. One that bothered me tonight is when you ask someone if they want help and they say "they're just looking", so you go on your merry way and work on something nearby only to turn around to see them glaring daggers at you because now they do want something but didn't say anything.

Telepathy is not part of our customer service, people! I don't have eyes in the back of my head, and I don't read minds!

• Hugs
Reactions: makethepainstop
makethepainstop

makethepainstop

Visionary
Sep 16, 2022
I hate the self-entitled people you have to deal with in a retail setting. They are special and you must jump through hoops to satisfy them. I mean they think they are so important. When the truth is I'd happily bust them right in the mouth if it wouldn't land my ass in jail and get me fired.
The client is like because we are so special and we are just so entitled to every good thing, that you must make happen for us! Me you are not special, you are profoundly mentally disturbed, and I would dearly love to cause you grievous injury, so that you understand you are not that damn special or entitled.

Reactions: CowsAgainstCapitali and Celerity