P

Praying 4 a Miracle

Sep 22, 2024
It is far too easy for people to slip off the rails in this life, and end up suffering intolerably. It's complete madness that we humans are not providing a safe and humane way for ALL adults who feel they are suffering long-term, with no other solutions available to solve the problem(s), to escape their pain.

Recent advancements in medicine are allowing people to live much longer, and for those who are lucky enough to make it through their entire lifespan without any long-term major suffering, I congratulate you, but this is not going to be the reality for everyone. If we're going to extend the lifespan of people to 80, 90, 100, etc., then we also need to have a plan for people who do not make it all the way through without a major problem.

According to Forbes, only 10 to 15% of us are going to drop dead instantly at the end of our life. This means that 85 to 90% of human beings are going to end up with some prolonged suffering at some point. This reality is not going to affect just a fringe group of people, it will affect the vast majority.

I personally made it almost to the age of 60, without any major health problems or suffering at all, and then Wham! Never in a million years did I ever think it would happen to me, but here we are, and for the last few years I know exactly what it's like to suffer intensely. It can happen to anyone, for any number of reasons, and it can happen in a heartbeat.

The madness of forcing people to resort to risky, painful, and inhumane methods of suicide, to find relief from their pain and anguish, must end now. ALL adults who feel they are suffering intolerantly, with no other solutions available, should be able to make this incredibly important decision for themselves.

We are a compassionate species, and that is why there is SOME progress being made in currently 12 countries around the world. This is a good start, and the world is heading in the right direction, but it's just taking far too long. The current system is cruel, and it needs to change now, not years from now.

For eons, we've had the compassionate policy of not allowing animals to suffer needlessly. We just need to extend that same compassion to our fellow human beings. Criminalizing and stigmatizing this entire issue, just further amplifies the unbearable pain & anguish that good people are having to endure.

Just remember the numbers, in the years to come, 85 to 90% of people are going to be faced with this problem in some form or fashion. It's clear what the right thing to do is, so let's just do it. A healthy debate can be wonderful and wise if there is a good reason for it, but when the facts are completely clear and concrete, then it's just wasting valuable time.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: wren-briar, Theresnoescape, divinemistress36 and 3 others
Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021
discussions around euthanasia and assisted dying continue to evolve, there's hope that more compassionate solutions will be recognized and implemented.

Reactions: Praying 4 a Miracle
A

a_tired_autist

Oct 5, 2024
The funny thing is that the longer you live the higher the likelihood of encountering mental problem occurs, this is clearly a serious discussion to be having that will only become more and more prevalent in the future. Currently there is some many periods in life or specifics conditions that leads to a increase in public mental health issues. I really hope that in the near future those types of issues are more addressed than nowadays.

Reactions: wren-briar and Praying 4 a Miracle
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I understand as a painless death is certainly what I need so I can finally find peace from all future suffering in this painful and cruel existence that only ever caused me to suffer, I suffer so much from how I cannot just peacefully die, under no circumstances would I wish to prolong this suffering for potentially decades longer just to be tortured and tormented by old age. I find it horrific how euthanasia isn't an option even know there is no limit as to how much agony one can feel in this existence that I was forced into in the first place, I'd personally never wish for the cruelty and torment of suffering in this existence rather I only hope and wish to never suffer again.

Reactions: wren-briar and ijustwishtodie
P

Praying 4 a Miracle

Sep 22, 2024
discussions around euthanasia and assisted dying continue to evolve, there's hope that more compassionate solutions will be recognized and implemented.
I agree, assisted dying is definitely continuing to evolve. I do feel like valuable time is being wasted however, with people continuing to debate this issue, when really the debate should be over.

Reactions: wren-briar and Darkover
hail

hail

lost society
Jan 27, 2024
I will always advocate for euthanasia, we may not have the choice to be born but we should have the option to die, keeping people that do not want to partake in life or society alive is inhumane

• Love
Reactions: Mastershakeme, wren-briar, ijustwishtodie and 1 other person
D

doneforlife

Arcanist
Jul 18, 2023
It is far too easy for people to slip off the rails in this life, and end up suffering intolerably. It's complete madness that we humans are not providing a safe and humane way for ALL adults who feel they are suffering long-term, with no other solutions available to solve the problem(s), to escape their pain.

Recent advancements in medicine are allowing people to live much longer, and for those who are lucky enough to make it through their entire lifespan without any long-term major suffering, I congratulate you, but this is not going to be the reality for everyone. If we're going to extend the lifespan of people to 80, 90, 100, etc., then we also need to have a plan for people who do not make it all the way through without a major problem.

According to Forbes, only 10 to 15% of us are going to drop dead instantly at the end of our life. This means that 85 to 90% of human beings are going to end up with some prolonged suffering at some point. This reality is not going to affect just a fringe group of people, it will affect the vast majority.

I personally made it almost to the age of 60, without any major health problems or suffering at all, and then Wham! Never in a million years did I ever think it would happen to me, but here we are, and for the last few years I know exactly what it's like to suffer intensely. It can happen to anyone, for any number of reasons, and it can happen in a heartbeat.

The madness of forcing people to resort to risky, painful, and inhumane methods of suicide, to find relief from their pain and anguish, must end now. ALL adults who feel they are suffering intolerantly, with no other solutions available, should be able to make this incredibly important decision for themselves.

We are a compassionate species, and that is why there is SOME progress being made in currently 12 countries around the world. This is a good start, and the world is heading in the right direction, but it's just taking far too long. The current system is cruel, and it needs to change now, not years from now.

For eons, we've had the compassionate policy of not allowing animals to suffer needlessly. We just need to extend that same compassion to our fellow human beings. Criminalizing and stigmatizing this entire issue, just further amplifies the unbearable pain & anguish that good people are having to endure.

Just remember the numbers, in the years to come, 85 to 90% of people are going to be faced with this problem in some form or fashion. It's clear what the right thing to do is, so let's just do it. A healthy debate can be wonderful and wise if there is a good reason for it, but when the facts are completely clear and concrete, then it's just wasting valuable time.
There are too many obstructions for this . Even if any government is willing to do it , people will create huge outcry. Dying is something which many people don't like to go through. They stick to life even if life is absolutely horrible. It just does not have any incentive for the government. Rather they would risk their position by doing so .

Reactions: wren-briar and divinemistress36
P

Praying 4 a Miracle

Sep 22, 2024
There seems to be guests often reading the posts in this forum (almost 1000 at any given moment), so we never know who might be paying attention. I definitely think it's worth us speaking up about the issue of MAID, we may have a bit more influence than we realize. I think people are just starting to see how vulnerable we all are, even the currently happy and healthy, the wealthy, AND those who work in government. Also we need to remember that MAID is safe to discuss even outside this forum, because it's completely legal.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: wren-briar
ijustwishtodie

ijustwishtodie

death will be my ultimate bliss
Oct 29, 2023
I agree on everything you said here with the exception of humans being a compassionate species. If humans were a compassionate species, your post wouldn't even have to be made in the first place. Humans are nothing but brutal, self serving and psychopathic. We really do deserve euthanasia and the right to die but, unfortunately, if we're going to be realistic here, it won't ever be legalised for people like us (i.e. with non terminal illness) throughout our entire natural lifespan or even through many generations. Humans need their wage slaves and are too content with what society says to rebel. Additionally, people are too myopic to understand why somebody wants to die so they'll always be against euthanasia for people like us. It sucks immensely but, the thing is, humans suck and will always suck

Reactions: divinemistress36
divinemistress36

divinemistress36

Visionary
Jan 1, 2024
I agree with @ijustwishtodie the government needs wage slaves and even those who are disabled, the healthcare system makes bank off their suffering with all the meds and treatments. Its all about money its sad

• Informative
Reactions: wren-briar and ijustwishtodie
P

Praying 4 a Miracle

Sep 22, 2024
It's true that there is a financial incentive for governments to keep people suffering, but the truth is, there are countries who are right now discussing expanding those who qualify to include many more people, not just the terminally ill. Canada and the UK are two good examples of this. Canada is talking about expanding to include people who are mentally ill, and the UK is talking about including those who are suffering intolerably. Worldwide the entire situation is definitely expanding. There are now 400 million people who qualify, and this never keeps growing.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: wren-briar and divinemistress36
A

a_tired_autist

Oct 5, 2024
I agree on everything you said here with the exception of humans being a compassionate species. If humans were a compassionate species, your post wouldn't even have to be made in the first place. Humans are nothing but brutal, self serving and psychopathic. We really do deserve euthanasia and the right to die but, unfortunately, if we're going to be realistic here, it won't ever be legalised for people like us (i.e. with non terminal illness) throughout our entire natural lifespan or even through many generations. Humans need their wage slaves and are too content with what society says to rebel. Additionally, people are too myopic to understand why somebody wants to die so they'll always be against euthanasia for people like us. It sucks immensely but, the thing is, humans suck and will always suck
I half agree whit your i personally believe it's more a issue of scope.

An example would be better ; It's hard for anyone to feel dread because of some people dying over TV like for example, an famous actor, or a tsunami. Most people will just react like, "it's shame", or "it's terrible", most of the time the limit will be distraught or sadness. The important part to keep in mind here is that is cognitive empathy, that is the ability to understands socials contacts and interactions that leads to feeling something bad for some else. Most people would have killed themselves if for each time someone die it feels as sad as someone close to it.
It's is essentially a logical comparison.

This does not happen when something bad happen to someone you are close. Example : this site.
I could go by and ask people around but i think they are genuinely sad. Because they feels and understands the experience.

But also i could be wrong. I am not very well placed honestly to speak about empathy since I have Alexithymia.

W

wren-briar

wrenbriar.gitlab.io
Jul 1, 2024
I personally made it almost to the age of 60, without any major health problems or suffering at all

Out of curiosity, how did you feel about suicide/euthanasia before you had major health problems?

If you had been asked to vote on medical-assisted euthanasia (i.e. a doctor had to be supportive of your reasons), would you have voted for that right?

If you had been asked to vote on simply the right to die (i.e. any adult, and any child with adult approval, could have unlimited access to an assured mechanism of CTB), would you voted for that right?

P

Praying 4 a Miracle

Sep 22, 2024
Out of curiosity, how did you feel about suicide/euthanasia before you had major health problems?

If you had been asked to vote on medical-assisted euthanasia (i.e. a doctor had to be supportive of your reasons), would you have voted for that right?

If you had been asked to vote on simply the right to die (i.e. any adult, and any child with adult approval, could have unlimited access to an assured mechanism of CTB), would you voted for that right?
I would have voted for the right for adults to decide, but likely not children. I've always been a big fan of rights for adults, but I believe there should be an age restriction on MAID of maybe 18.

• Love
Reactions: divinemistress36 and wren-briar
W

wren-briar

wrenbriar.gitlab.io
Jul 1, 2024
Thank you for your responses!

I'm in the the camp that most children shouldn't have unfettered access, but there are absolutely cases where a child should have access, and adults around them should be able to make this decision. Obviously, that would never be 100% perfect, but it's still so much better than what we currently have in the States. (For anyone in an area with MAiD, I'd love to hear your perspectives on how it is, or isn't made available to underage persons!)