sunny.sativa

sunny.sativa

organic
Apr 2, 2019
I've been to three difference psych wards, inpatient 5 times. I am NOT bragging, I just thought I'd add that for credibility.

Depending on how "nice" the facility you get put into is, it could be an extremely refreshing experience, or one that'll make you never wanna be in a place like that again lol.

The first one I stayed at was a low-budget hospital where all tiers of crazy were in one area aaaaand there was one security guard. So the anxiety levels were .. extensive. For example, this schizophrenic dude with a funny name would stroll around like a zombie and collect "energy", little orbs around the place that only he could see. If it was good, he would put it in his pocket. If bad, he would make an angry grunt, a disappointed face and throw it in the trash. And I was just over there with a severe case of the blues and a stitched artery. You can see how this would affect some people.

My longest stay was at a 5-star hotel, basically. There were many units in the hospital that divided the patients depending on their case and severity. I was on the detox unit. There were alcoholics, suicidal individuals, a woman was experiencing her first EXTREME manic episode, etc, but every single person I met in there was so damn kind. SO LOVING, and of course, understanding. On the other units, we could see across the hall, was someone running naked and screaming about "Rihanna cheated on me!"
There were group activities, a basketball court and an enclosed grass area, unlike the first, where all we had to do was color, read a half-torn bible and pace the halls. In the better one, there was a professional chef.

I.. have to admit, I almost wish I hadn't experienced such a luxurious place. It was a beautiful time and I guess that's a problem. You're not supposed to want to stay forever lol. But it was a nice break from the outside world.

The thing is though, you need to be honest with your doctors and nurses. If you're not, you're wasting their time and your health is only further diminishing. Just speak about your sadness. It's okay. They're there to help you, and you need to help them help you.

Let it be rewarding, no matter what happens. If it's shit, embrace the suck. Do what you need to do.

xx

EDIT: I read above about he bill: you need insurance for this. Don't hospitalize yourself until you get insurance. If it's an emergency and you don't have any, (this was my situation), tell them in the hospital that you're extremely stressed about the bill because you'll never be able to pay for it. That's what I did and they set me up for California state-provided insurance right there. I owed nothing.

Reactions: fister and Halo13
H

hypo666

Jun 3, 2019
Interesting read, I am in the UK too, being let down by the MH services every bastard day. They are failing me, so I have said to my family I'm not interested in help any more and would rather learn self help. It was mentioned last week about poss taking me to a hospital, but it was decided last min as it was mixed sex wards and the hospital itself wasn't great that it would be of no benefit to me, so I was let home and have been ignored since. I have heard nothing but bad about these places, but this is the first personal review I have read. Would like to know were in the UK this was?

basildon essex. The ward I was on was the assessment unit. you are only meant to stay there days, but I and others spent far longer there.