Empty Smile

Empty Smile

The final Bell has rung. Goodbye to all.
Jul 13, 2018
I purchased a Mr. Buddy heater a few months ago and finally got around to trying it out.

I know all the safety precautions that come with those about CO poisoning, and so on. At the time I wasn't thinking of suicide when I did this.

I hooked up a small camping propane tank to try it out to see how good the heat output was. It put out some pretty good heat.

So I left it running for a while in my kitchen/dining room area, which is pretty good size. After a while I started feeling dizzy and a little nauseated, and feeling like I was going to pass out.

I figured if one small tank in a large room could nearly knock me out, what could it do for me in a tent using a larger propane tank used for gas grills?

I'm now rethinking the tent and charcoal method.

Brain busy..... Beware!

Reactions: TimetoGo!, Manaaja, Lifeisatrap and 6 others
TheLastTrip

TheLastTrip

Experienced
Nov 2, 2018
Yes carbon monoxide is a great way for it to look accidental, I have thought about the tent/carbon monoxide method before too. I am glad you managed to get a test to work and I wish you all the best for your actual attempt.
:smiling:

Reactions: Lifeisatrap, your pathologist, scales and 3 others
Empty Smile

Empty Smile

Jul 13, 2018
Yes carbon monoxide is a great way for it to look accidental, I have thought about the tent/carbon monoxide method before too. I am glad you managed to get a test to work and I wish you all the best for your actual attempt.
:smiling:

It actually wasn't a test. I was just trying it out to see how the heat output was, it puts off some pretty good heat!

But it may very well be my way out.

Reactions: Lifeisatrap, your pathologist, scales and 1 other person
Retched

Retched

I see the chaos in your eyes.
Oct 8, 2018
Mr. Buddy heater....hummmmmmm......that's a new one....congrats on the accidental method!

Reactions: Lifeisatrap, your pathologist, scales and 1 other person
Retched

Retched

Oct 8, 2018
I looked online, can only find indoor safe ones? Which one did you buy?

Reactions: Lifeisatrap, your pathologist, scales and 4 others
G

Ghab

Student
Aug 6, 2018
Which heater did you buy? Can you link it?

Reactions: Lifeisatrap, your pathologist, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 3 others
Empty Smile

Empty Smile

Jul 13, 2018
Which heater did you buy? Can you link it?

I got it off of eBay.

Mr. Heater Portable Outdoor Camping, Hunting, Job Site Propane Heater  1

Reactions: Lifeisatrap, your pathologist, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 2 others
Retched

Retched

Oct 8, 2018
Reactions: Lifeisatrap, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Empty Smile and 1 other person
your pathologist

your pathologist

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Sep 5, 2018
Thanks for this!!!

Reactions: Lifeisatrap and Empty Smile
Empty Smile

Empty Smile

Jul 13, 2018
Reactions: Lifeisatrap and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
Retched

Retched

Oct 8, 2018
That one looks smaller than mine, height wise....

Being it uses propane tank, they are not safe for indoor use unless you have proper ventilation.
I see...the one I posted said it can be used in campers/etc...but that makes sense, an of them that use the propane tanks could potentially be a nice "accident."

Reactions: Lifeisatrap, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and Empty Smile
Retched

Retched

Oct 8, 2018
Oh, it has a low oxygen safety shut off though...can those be disabled? Lol. Where is a good old ancient one without all that fancy stuff when you need one?

Reactions: Lifeisatrap, Empty Smile and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
Empty Smile

Empty Smile

Jul 13, 2018
My thing for this now.... I have two tents, a large 8 person tent which I love, and a smaller 2 to 3 person tent which is ok.

The smaller tent could cause heat to build up quickly which would run me out of tent.

The large one would take longer to heat up, but I would also have to make sure a lot more areas are sealed up.

Reactions: Lifeisatrap, Retched and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
Empty Smile

Empty Smile

Jul 13, 2018
Oh, it has a low oxygen safety shut off though...can those be disabled? Lol. Where is a good old ancient one without all that fancy stuff when you need one?

I missed this..... I'm gonna have to look at it and check. Damn......

Reactions: Lifeisatrap
Retched

Retched

Oct 8, 2018
I missed this..... I'm gonna have to look at it and check. Damn......
:/ well, hopefully yours doesn't have one if it is for outdoor only.

Reactions: Lifeisatrap and Empty Smile
Empty Smile

Empty Smile

Jul 13, 2018
:/ well, hopefully yours doesn't have one if it is for outdoor only.

I just looked at the description of the one I bought on eBay, it doesn't mention anything about low oxygen safety switch, only a tip over safety switch.

Reactions: Lifeisatrap
T

TiredHorse

Enlightened
Nov 1, 2018
Might it be possible to subtly disable the low-O2 sensor? Disable it carefully, then give the heater a big, non-critical dent, so that anyone checking it later who finds the O2 sensor damaged might look at the dent and think whatever dented it damaged the sensor?

Reactions: Lifeisatrap, Empty Smile and Retched
M

Mthom2

Student
Oct 19, 2020
Sorry for the thread resurrection. Just thought it would be better than creating another to discuss the same subject.

I recently started living in my suv, and bought a mr buddy heater, since it's cold weather right now. This thought has definitely crossed my mind. Without ventilation, it could work.

They can also be hooked up to 20lb propane tanks via a hose you can either buy from the same company, or from elsewhere. There are lots of videos out there on how to do it, if anyone wants to experiment. I've done it myself, and have no skill.

Reactions: MatrixPrisoner and TimetoGo!
MatrixPrisoner

MatrixPrisoner

Enlightened
Jul 8, 2023
Sorry for the thread resurrection. Just thought it would be better than creating another to discuss the same subject.

I recently started living in my suv, and bought a mr buddy heater, since it's cold weather right now. This thought has definitely crossed my mind. Without ventilation, it could work.

They can also be hooked up to 20lb propane tanks via a hose you can either buy from the same company, or from elsewhere. There are lots of videos out there on how to do it, if anyone wants to experiment. I've done it myself, and have no skill.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but coincidentally I came acrosss this when I was contemplating the exact same method yesterday.

And don't feel bad about ressurecting threads, I think it's better than mucking up the forum by creating multiple redundant threads. Dates of postings are irrelevant, as long as the subject matter is still pertinent IMO.