• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

123asdr123

123asdr123

Mar 17, 2018
Do you all believe you have a disease? I think your cheating yourself out a chance at enjoying at least parts of life. Before you ask - I have been ruined by anti-psychotic "med" injury and that's why I feel hopeless. I feel like you are falling for the trick of pharma if you believe you have an illness. There is a reason for everything we do (evolution).

Vox

Vox

Mar 28, 2018
I think you're right to a degree. Situational sadness can't be fixed with a drug; the situation itself must be fixed.

But suppose the situation can't be fixed. Suppose a loved one dies and you can't bear the pain? That's where drugs can presumably help, the same way aspirin helps numb a situational pain until the injury can heal itself. In theory, at least.

But I totally agree that there is no "disease" called depression that infects people like the flu. I think depression is the result of conflicts in the brain which never get resolved, so you end up stuck in a loop. Drugs won't solve that. They'll just impair your judgment further so you'll never find a way out.

voyle

voyle

Apr 8, 2018
There's a situational depression and clinical depression.

Do you all believe you have a disease? I think your cheating yourself out a chance at enjoying at least parts of life. Before you ask - I have been ruined by anti-psychotic "med" injury and that's why I feel hopeless. I feel like you are falling for the trick of pharma if you believe you have an illness. There is a reason for everything we do (evolution).

You seem like a dumb person trying to be smart.(I am sorry if you get insulted - it wasn't the goal of this) Who's cheating who? How are they cheating themselves? They are not able to control the emotions/brain responses that are blocking them from functioning properly. Their brains are not functioning the way they should be. It's not just "tricking" yourself. This whole stametement is something similar to telling a sad person without knowing anything about her/him to not be sad and just cheer up. Not everyone wants to kill themselves because of depression.

There is a reason for everything we do (evolution).
How does this statement validate any of your points? It's too complicated and broad subject to just throw it like that.

Last edited:
voyle

voyle

Apr 8, 2018
He still took the position of the authority. You guys are not doing any research (Just do a simple Google research on anything that you "think" is the way it is - It has already been researched by a really smart people) on these subject and seem sometimes "dumb". It doesn't really matter what I or You think - it only matters how it really is. If you are making any statement you have to be ready to get attacked - not insulted.(I am saying dumb in a sense of just saying things based of what "one" thinks - just get rid of the ego while attempting to explain/learn about anything.

Last edited:
123asdr123

123asdr123

Mar 17, 2018
There's a situational depression and clinical depression.

You seem like a dumb person trying to be smart.(I am sorry if you get insulted - it wasn't the goal of this) Who's cheating who? How are they cheating themselves? They are not able to control the emotions/brain responses that are blocking them from functioning properly. Their brains are not functioning the way they should be. It's not just "tricking" yourself. This whole stametement is something similar to telling a sad person without knowing anything about her/him to not be sad and just cheer up. Not everyone wants to kill themselves because of depression.

How does this statement validate any of your points? It's too complicated and broad subject to just throw it like that.
All right - my statement is logical - there are corporate interests and no evidence it is anything other than situational sadness. You don't think people can control their brains. People are just fed that lie so they become dependent on "meds" and play right into psychiatrists hands who get of on calling other people lesser. For example, the reason you feel sad when you do nothing is because we are built to get rewards when we do a challenging task and accomplish it. I already answered your questions. Have some respect for facts. If you and other s like you took responsibility for everything in their life you would be out mating and feeling good. And if you are too addicted to playing victim, or unable to acheiv the goals yo care about, you are destined for an early death. I cannot achieve the goals I have had for myself. Because of ap injury. Stop complaining your body works(assumed). Do I think you should be able to kys just cuz you don't feel like trying? Yes. Do I feel like you have a right to complain because you lack motivation? I used to be in your boat, then I started working out and felt empowered and in control. Might have I not been motivated if I wasn't good looking? High chances maybe not. Is it too much of a mountain to even start climbing? Yes it is for many. It is a cancer this idea that people have shit brains. Do you know how much evolution we have gone through? Modern humans first cam around 350,000 years ago. Plus evolution before homo sapiens. Yes there are people who are born with deformities. You are only making it worse because we know the most medicated country is the most mental country for a reason. You believing this lie makes it worse. Are you a "seek-helper"??

123asdr123

123asdr123

Mar 17, 2018
I think you're right to a degree. Situational sadness can't be fixed with a drug; the situation itself must be fixed.

But suppose the situation can't be fixed. Suppose a loved one dies and you can't bear the pain? That's where drugs can presumably help, the same way aspirin helps numb a situational pain until the injury can heal itself. In theory, at least.

But I totally agree that there is no "disease" called depression that infects people like the flu. I think depression is the result of conflicts in the brain which never get resolved, so you end up stuck in a loop. Drugs won't solve that. They'll just impair your judgment further so you'll never find a way out.
Well said. Except I heard ad's make you feel a lil better then in long term no, and your worse off because you are dependent on them for noramalcy. really cannot agree more with "the situation is the problem'

Reactions: Deadgirl
Fylobatica

Fylobatica

Inactive
Apr 1, 2018
I feel like you are falling for the trick of pharma if you believe you have an illness

People with major (clinical) depression show significant structural changes in their brains and it's more than "sadness" extended over a long timespan. Most of them are not functional. When you are knocked down by serious MD, even opening a door or washing yourself in the morning can become an unusual hard task.

ChizuruN

ChizuruN

Failure at Living, Failure at Dying
Mar 20, 2018
I don't believe I have a "disease".
Also, for me, meds do make a difference. If I'm off them, I can barely function.

123asdr123

123asdr123

Mar 17, 2018
I don't believe I have a "disease".
Also, for me, meds do make a difference. If I'm off them, I can barely function.
possible you have a dependency on the "meds" cuz pharma designs them that way - i will never believe a human the result of 350k years of evolution are unable to do stuff unless you have a definitive disease. placebo is powerful or have been poisoned. man city vs liverpool is good game on fs1 in a few minutes

Seekingpeacenow

Seekingpeacenow

Jun 12, 2019
I've always felt it was situational though my life has never been happy despite constantly doing all the right things it just hasn't turned out that way. So I can't say if my hypothesis is correct. I don't consider it a disease nor do I consider addiction a disease either. Though I do know people who had no damn good reason to be depressed other than their own selfishness. They had perfectly decent lives compared to many others but still had mental health issues so I do think for some there can be a biological component that is in no way situational. For many especially children I think there are other things going on that people aren't aware of. But I do believe there are the small few who have a strictly biological reason which can sometimes be attributed to other things (health issues, vitamin/mineral deficiency or a purely genetic predisposition ).

TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
I think most depression is usually situational, such as life and environmental causes, external causes. This isn't to say that clinical depression doesn't exist; in fact, it does. It is a shame that psychiatry industry and field likes to lump the two types of depression together. Also, in popular culture and media, most of the time, when people refer the depression, the first thing that comes to mind is clinical depression and chemical imbalance theory. Again, that's bullshit because while there are cases of clinical depression and what not, I believe it is being blown out of proportion. This isn't to say that clinical depression and chemical imbalances don't exist, it's just overblown. More often than not, people seem to ignore root causes and only tackle the symptoms (both common people and doctors, mental health professionals alike). I suppose it's easier (and lazier) to just attack the symptoms rather than address the root causes for it.

To be fair, I'm not dismissing the fact that clinical depression doesn't exist (id does), but too oftenly people lump both kinds of depression into one and don't differential between the two.

Weems

Weems

Experienced
May 5, 2019
I agree totally. I'm just a failure. There were distinct events here and there like a fire spreading to neighboring buildings but it was one big failure. Actions feed character feeds actions...I've dug myself into spiritual and practical shipwreck for decades now. It has to end.

O

Onomotopoeia

Experienced
Feb 8, 2019
This is your opinion - you should state such in your post or risk (and do) sound condescending.

It's also wildly inaccurate. Yes, money corrupts and there is big money in healthcare.

That said there are multiple studies showing clear changes in the brain of those who are clinically depressed. Can we trust them?

Well yes because there are lots of companies/business/public interests happy to hire their own team of scientists to challenge any data that's out there. Is it perfect? no, but it certainly does not make everything that's ever been published a lie - respectable papers will be biased to some degree - but that is it.

You having had bad experiences with meds does not invalidate them for everyone else. Sometimes meds help, sometimes they do not. There are wide variations in how people react to meds while your experience is not unique it's also not the norm.

The thing is you cant just state an opinion and call it fact because you want it to be so. There IS evidence you are choosing not to read/like/agree with those terms because you do not want to.

I'm not sure what situational sadness is but I was born with at my core and no amount of money, success, or friends have ever changed that. Meds have in the past taken me down to manageable levels and they were effective.

I have not taken any meds in a long time now it may be time again. I am sorry you are struggling but this post sounds like its intended to diminish others and you should take that crap elsewhere if it's intentional and if it's not then you should re-evaluate how you write.

Your post was not so terrible but your reply was utter garbage.

Drugs are bad mkay? there are lots of drugs and drug interactions that are bad but not every apple in the world has gone bad.

Best of luck

W

Walilamdzi

Mar 21, 2019
Actually I completely agree. I personally know that people who prescribe meds don't always (and I would argue that they seldom or never) know what they're talking about at all, because I was told that I would be unable to function unless I took certain medications for the rest of my life, which I haven't been taking for years. It's completely unethical that I was put under so much pressure to stay on something with countless side effects, when actually their predications are based on a whole lot of nothing. They use everything they can think of to medicalise things that are not caused by a single thing.

@Onomotopoeia Studies showing changes in brain don't mean that meds solve anything that's going on, though? To me that is just another attempted pseudoscientific justification for the pharmaceutical industry to perpetuate its claims that it is solving a problem, in order to keep itself in business.

Last edited:
O

Onomotopoeia

Experienced
Feb 8, 2019
@Onomotopoeia Studies showing changes in brain don't mean that meds solve anything that's going on, though? To me that is just another attempted pseudoscientific justification for the pharmaceutical industry to perpetuate its claims that it is solving a problem, in order to keep itself in business.

There is a valid argument against meds - and you may be right - there may not be studies showing that meds solve anything to my knowledge they are not intended to.

This is also true for blood pressure, cholesterol, diabetes etc they are designed to alleviate symptoms not cure anything.

Don't get me wrong there's a lot wrong with the pharmaceutical industry - and without a doubt those within it are clearly going to produce biased test results but they also have competitors who would be happy to produce studies contesting their opponents findings should they be blatantly false.

there are conspiracies out there - probably even a few in this field - but there are plenty of anti-med advocates out there who would be happy to and do dig up dirt and expose some secrets.

kappa

kappa

Experienced
Apr 2, 2019
I was told I would have to be on medication for the rest of my life because she thought I had bipolar 2. Was told it's just having diabetes or something like that- because it would be something I could never stop taking.

I told my current doctor I am depressed because of my situation. He still wanted me on them to help "relieve" symptoms while I work on my situation.

I stopped taking them, I gave them a good fucking shot but nothing helped. For both sleep, and depression- I was told how I've been on every different type of medication (antidepressants, antipsychotics, anti seizures) so my options were basically run out.

Maybe they do help some people, whether it's a placebo effect or not, but they never helped me.

Reactions: Walilamdzi