• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

trist

trist

Student
Mar 21, 2023
when i was younger, i wanted to die purely out of self-loathing and depression. i thought people's lives would improve if i killed myself; you know, the common depression stuff. but after years of being suicidal, i realized a few things. the first thing i realized is that it was selfish of me to think that my death would have much or even any impact on other people. their lives will not get better nor worse and my relatives will eventually forget about me and move on. i do not deny that my parents would be sad, but i am pretty sure they can get over it. besides that, i genuinely stopped seeing the value of live, even when i am not feeling depressed at all but actually quite content. i genuinely cannot comprehend how people find things to live for, knowing that they are going to die at some point anyway. i guess it is mostly survival instinct, which goes to show that humans are not some special species as all animals possess this trait. but when humans take some time to think, do they not all realize that there is actually no point at all? perhaps religion is motivating quite a lot of people to live, but i also do not understand how grown adults are able to believe something like that (and this is coming from someone who has been raised in a strict christian household). to me it feels like religion is a tool to deny the fact that life does not matter in any way and humans are not extraordinary.

now that i am typing this, i am ironically questioning myself what the point of writing this post is :)

FuneralCry

FuneralCry

She wished that she never existed...
Sep 24, 2020
Of course existing is completely pointless. All that life is, is just a tragic and unfortunate consequence of evolution and the fact that we have the ability to be conscious and aware means that many people question and invent a meaning for life (such as religion), as the true insignificant nature of existence is too difficult for them to come to terms with. All life could only ever lead to death where we are destined to be forgotten about, there could never be anything meaningful about something so useless and unnecessary as life.

Last edited:
twinklywater

twinklywater

You’re the sunlight that reflects off the waves.
Mar 26, 2023
Of course existing is completely pointless. All that life is, is just a tragic and unfortunate consequence of evolution and the fact that we have the ability to be conscious and aware means that many people question and invent a meaning for life (such as religion), as the true insignificant nature of existence is too difficult for them to come to terms with. All life could only ever lead to death where we are destined to be forgotten about, there could never be anything meaningful about something so useless and unnecessary as life.
I always see you under each thread preaching the meaninglessness of life and such. And I'm genuinely curious - why have you not CTB yet yourself? You seem to have been active for a couple years on this site and have strong opinions on the empty nature of living (which I agree with.) Simply curious about what has kept you living

L

leavingsoon99

I'm at peace... Finally.
Mar 16, 2023
Honestly, I don't know. I'll never tell someone else that living is pointless, if they've found some type of meaning. For ME... it's pointless. Life has just revealed itself to me to be that over the years. It's nothing but unnecessary suffering, competition for nothing, and just plain unpleasantness. It's full of lying philosophies and unrealistic expectations. So, it's nothing short of pointless nonsense to me. Some people find meaning in suffering. They believe that life should be full of it, and that we're in some type of 'school'. I disagree with that. So, that's why I refrain from telling someone else that life is pointless.

N

NambaSutra

Student
Mar 25, 2023
Actual suicide is hard. It's easier for me to just keep thinking about and posting on forums like this one. That's my story, I'm jealous of people who actually go through with it.

warmsand

warmsand

cool
Mar 26, 2023
there's a point to life for most "normal" people, or people who can easily fit in the mold of what society expects of them. people who effortlessly fit in. for those people, it's easier for them to get jobs, friends, relationships, and basically anything that comes with living a "good" life.

nihilism in general is pointless for most people because humans inherently want to be alive. but for those who aren't "normal", they will constantly suffer for little to no rewards. you know how people say life has its ups and downs? what do you do when the downs are every day, and the ups are so few, and barely good enough to compensate?

it's a person by person thing. if you think life is pointless, then for you it might be. but others might actually enjoy this shit, so to them it's not.

trist

trist

Student
Mar 21, 2023
Honestly, I don't know. I'll never tell someone else that living is pointless, if they've found some type of meaning. For ME... it's pointless. Life has just revealed itself to me to be that over the years. It's nothing but unnecessary suffering, competition for nothing, and just plain unpleasantness. It's full of lying philosophies and unrealistic expectations. So, it's nothing short of pointless nonsense to me. Some people find meaning in suffering. They believe that life should be full of it, and that we're in some type of 'school'. I disagree with that. So, that's why I refrain from telling someone else that life is pointless.
i get it, i'd never tell someone that their life specifically is pointless. i guess it's good for them to find some sort of meaning but it's just too hard for me to understand how they're able to do that. not that i want to see value in life as i perceive it as a fact that there is none (in my mind it's not an opinion that there's no value, it just is). i hope this makes sense.

L

leavingsoon99

I'm at peace... Finally.
Mar 16, 2023
i get it, i'd never tell someone that their life specifically is pointless. i guess it's good for them to find some sort of meaning but it's just too hard for me to understand how they're able to do that. not that i want to see value in life as i perceive it as a fact that there is none (in my mind it's not an opinion that there's no value, it just is). i hope this makes sense.
I understand. No, there's no value to life. However, people try to give it meaning. I just shrug and let them have that delusion if it helps them get through this experience. I think that's the majority of the human race. They WANT, so badly, for all this to mean something. I guess that's why CTB is so censored and frowned upon. There's a narrative in this culture that we should want to live forever and strive to matter to other people. There are reasons for that, but the human wants to feel like it matters to the universe. Quite possibly, humans may not matter at all to it.

ilovecats

ilovecats

Empty Husk
Feb 1, 2023
perhaps religion is motivating quite a lot of people to live, but i also do not understand how grown adults are able to believe something like that (and this is coming from someone who has been raised in a strict christian household). to me it feels like religion is a tool to deny the fact that life does not matter in any way and humans are not extraordinary.
For me, becoming a nihilist also meant understanding the importance of religion in our society. I see it as a tool used to blind people from reality, make them feel special and, most importantly, give them a reason to live, not in a bad way, as we're only a resource to this society and we're only meant to be "useful". I would totally choose believing in religion over nihilism and live like everyone else, even if I currently know that life is meaningless to this world and to ourselves.

Last edited:
Mizoppo911

Mizoppo911

treading through hell
Mar 26, 2023
Life is like a hobby, when you have nothing left to do, why do it? If you have learned all you want, mastered every skill you want, and went every where you want, why do it? There has to be a motivation to keep going, sometimes there is no reason because all your joy is gone, you've tried to find a new interest in the hobby, but it's just not fun anymore.

T

Twoped538

Mar 24, 2023
Actually, we don't know if life has a meaning. So why not just "play the game" and try to be happy while it lasts. If one is old or very unlucky, suicide is always an option (though not easy to do because society makes this difficult). Life can be hard, but it offers something special, which I don't want to throw away without a good reason to do so.

general bacon

general bacon

Mar 3, 2023
I always see you under each thread preaching the meaninglessness of life and such. And I'm genuinely curious - why have you not CTB yet yourself? You seem to have been active for a couple years on this site and have strong opinions on the empty nature of living (which I agree with.) Simply curious about what has kept you living
I believe I have seen them mention it is due to fear of CTB failing. I could be wrong, and please correct me if I am.

twinklywater

twinklywater

You’re the sunlight that reflects off the waves.
Mar 26, 2023
I believe I have seen them mention it is due to fear of CTB failing. I could be wrong, and please correct me if I am.
Thank you. I also saw them say suicide is hard for them

chocolatebar

chocolatebar

Paragon
Jul 11, 2021
The point of life... the question so many ones ask, and no one can answer. Or... the question everyone deep down know the answer, but doesn't want to accept it?

If we take the world in a too logical and materialistic way, we will find out that there's nothing to make us see a point in life, and that's why, as paradoxical as it may seem, we need a good amount of irrationality to be the most rational beings in this planet, because we need to deny our own reality in order to find a point in keeping going on.

Reactions: sserafim and trist
Archness

Archness

Defective Personel
Jan 20, 2023
Living or dying is beyond rationality.

I'm... Quite on the fence. There isn't really a point in either option, for me. I'm alive because there's no real reason to ctb rn then to survive really. Not in a rush, really considering before the permimant choice. I await death until then.

Reactions: sserafim and trist
trist

trist

Student
Mar 21, 2023
For me, becoming a nihilist also meant understanding the importance of religion in our society. I see it as a tool used to blind people from reality, make them feel special and, most importantly, give them a reason to live, not in a bad way, as we're only a resource to this society and we're only meant to be "useful". I would totally choose believing in religion over nihilism and live like everyone else, even if I currently know that life is meaningless to this world and to ourselves.
can i ask you what is stopping you from choosing religion? is it just too hard for you to believe in religion/ignore the nihilistic viewpoint?

ilovecats

ilovecats

Empty Husk
Feb 1, 2023
can i ask you what is stopping you from choosing religion? is it just too hard for you to believe in religion/ignore the nihilistic viewpoint?
I see my belief as the objective reality of this world. To me, everything else is not true. I know that almost everyone believes the same about their belief, so who knows if I'm right or wrong.

I tried to find the meaning behind our lives from various viewpoints, but all lead to the fact that nihilism is true, at least to me.

Reactions: trist
H

H.O.Xan

Experienced
Feb 1, 2023
watch as this post becomes a hive for pro-lifers to argue on

FuneralCry

FuneralCry

She wished that she never existed...
Sep 24, 2020
I know that I've been on this site for a long time, but unfortunately suicide just isn't that straightforward. We do exist in a society that restricts the most peaceful and reliable suicide method options after all, if suicide was easier I would be long gone.

Reactions: twinklywater