anguila_anguila

anguila_anguila

Feb 27, 2023
*** Not official medical advice - just some information that you can use to look into these things and discuss with your medical professional ***

I noticed that a lot of people on here mention that they take SSRIs (selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors) as an antidepressant prescribed by their doctor or therapist.
One of the major problems with the field is that doctors are too in love with prescribing SSRIs - normally if you don't respond to one, then they simply switch to another one of the same type, and there are a lot of different drugs that fall under the SSRI class.There is a large body of research showing that these just do not work in all cases of depression, particularly major depressive disorder.

A lot of sufferers do not know that there are several different classes of drugs that can be used to treat depression: MAOIs (monoamine oxidase inhibitors), TCA (tricylic antidepressants), SNRI (selective noradrenaline reuptake inhibitors), direct agonists of things like dopamine, and others. A good doctor would know about all of these, and their relative effectiveness / safety, and be able to change drugs according to how you respond.

In fact, one of the older antidepressants, selegiline, which is an MAOI has been fairly recently made into a patch which you wear on your skin (called Emsam). The MAOIs were phased out because you need to avoid foods containing tyramine when on them, you also cannot take other antidepressant medication. By using a patch it is possible to deliver the drug to the brain whilst mostly bypassing the liver and also using a small dose, both of which helps to alleviate the issues of problem foods.

The point is, if you find that SSRI drugs are not working for you, or the side effects (e.g. sexual side effects) are intolerable, then speak to your medical professional and get them to consider other types. Some doctors might even prescribe two antidepressants where one counters the side effects of the other.

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Love
Reactions: Ume, Chemical Animal, guayabas and 3 others
redbathingduck

redbathingduck

Student
Mar 20, 2023
I don't have a whole lot to add to your post but I do really agree with what you're saying. SSRI is usually what doctors/psychiatrists start out with and if it doesn't work there are plenty of other options to try that might have a stronger effect. I have also seen some people completely dismiss antidepressants as a scam or something that doesn't work which I also disagree with, as ironic as that might be from someone that has tried meds from most of the groups mentioned above and didn't really get any better through them. I do know of people where antidepressants really helped them with their recovery or made things easier for them.

It's not like a miracle cure but it can definitely make good changes. Even if they make someone feel numb at first, this is often better then feeling sad/shit all the time and might make it so that things are easier to do in daily life and eventually starting to feel better because of being able to do things like that again. It won't work for everyone sadly but I think it's worth trying or looking into them at least because of the many people that it has helped, even if it can take a while to find the right one

• Love
Reactions: guayabas and FacePALM
manta

manta

its gonna be ok
Mar 26, 2023
I agree. SSRI's weren't too great of a help for me and the side effects really made it all worse. Decided to try Wellbutrin and I've had significantly more improvement. I spent an entire year cycling through 3 different SSRI's before we decided to try something else. It sucked

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Ume and guayabas
guayabas

guayabas

Student
Mar 19, 2023
I agree. SSRI's weren't too great of a help for me and the side effects really made it all worse. Decided to try Wellbutrin and I've had significantly more improvement. I spent an entire year cycling through 3 different SSRI's before we decided to try something else. It sucked
wellbutrin changed my life. It also treats adhd, which I didn't have a diagnosis for when I started taking it. when i got a diagnosis a year later I was like ohhhh, that's why all those other things got better after I started wellbutrin lol. Like I used to lose my keys and hoodie constantly. almost every day when I left work I'd have to go back inside 2 or 3 times bc I forgot stuff. One day I just forgot to go to work lmao. but it also seriously helped my depression. this is the first time I've considered ctb in 10 years, and that's only bc of systemic oppression trapping me in a shitty life situation. I feel like I might make it out ok though

• Love
Reactions: Ume, manta and Chemical Animal
manta

manta

its gonna be ok
Mar 26, 2023
wellbutrin changed my life. It also treats adhd, which I didn't have a diagnosis for when I started taking it. when i got a diagnosis a year later I was like ohhhh, that's why all those other things got better after I started wellbutrin lol. Like I used to lose my keys and hoodie constantly. almost every day when I left work I'd have to go back inside 2 or 3 times bc I forgot stuff. One day I just forgot to go to work lmao. but it also seriously helped my depression. this is the first time I've considered ctb in 10 years, and that's only bc of systemic oppression trapping me in a shitty life situation. I feel like I might make it out ok though
Glad you got your diagnosis and the treatment you needed! I take Wellbutrin with my Vyvanse and it really helps me with ADHD. The fact that Wellbutrin works with both makes me wonder why it's not suggested more often. I also will forget something daily still, right when I leave the front door lol.

Sorry that your situation has led you to consider CTB. I feel like you can make it out my friend. My PM's are open if you need to vent or talk

• Hugs
Reactions: guayabas
KettleKorn

KettleKorn

Mar 28, 2023
I don't have a whole lot to add to your post but I do really agree with what you're saying. SSRI is usually what doctors/psychiatrists start out with and if it doesn't work there are plenty of other options to try that might have a stronger effect. I have also seen some people completely dismiss antidepressants as a scam or something that doesn't work which I also disagree with, as ironic as that might be from someone that has tried meds from most of the groups mentioned above and didn't really get any better through them. I do know of people where antidepressants really helped them with their recovery or made things easier for them.

It's not like a miracle cure but it can definitely make good changes. Even if they make someone feel numb at first, this is often better then feeling sad/shit all the time and might make it so that things are easier to do in daily life and eventually starting to feel better because of being able to do things like that again. It won't work for everyone sadly but I think it's worth trying or looking into them at least because of the many people that it has helped, even if it can take a while to find the right one
I agree with this, feeling numb on SSRIs is more preferrable than feeling this agony.

• Hugs
Reactions: guayabas