O

OhWellDerp321

Student
Jun 1, 2023
In my experience, therapy is only good for one thing: paying to rant to another person. Other than that, therapists just promote delusional realities.

Take this for an example:
The patient is a 60 year old male who has been working retail for the past 30 years with no promotions. But yet, he wants to become a millionaire.

Most therapists will not say "Hey, maybe its time to pack up your bags and realize that some things are meant to be". Instead most therapists will say "Hey. That's good that you still have hope. You may not achieve your dreams right now, but if we work together to improve your emotional management skills, you may become a millionaire!"

Are you kidding me?

Do you know how many people in the world are millionaires? 0.7 percent of the world. Not even one percent. That plus the fact that it takes tremendous amount of time to build up that wealth. Time which the patient does not have at age 60. You also need some unique skills. Working retail for the past 30 years doesn't provide that.

Why would you tell the patient that he still has hope? What good does that do to him?
It doesn't. All the therapist is thinking about is how they can get more money for themselves by keeping the patient.
Meanwhile, the patient leaves the session feeling great and motivated, only to have that motivation disappear within a day after reality sets back in.
Then the patient will go back to the therapist for more hope.

It becomes an endless cycle. Meanwhile the therapist is taking more of your money.

Therapists promote the same delusions that those motivational speakers promote.
"You can achieve anything in life if you just go for it and work hard".

No. The reality is that there are many other factors such as luck, environment, and wealth that affects what you can achieve in life.

Yet, lots of therapists will promote this glamourous idea that "everybody can be successful and become rich".

In their delusional world: everyone is a millionaire and owns their own business. Everyone is a successful business owner and there are no employees. Everyone is a successful freelancer working for themselves. No one has to work low paying jobs like fast food or retail.

While that sounds like an ideal world, that's something that you would see in a sci fi movie.

In the real world, not everyone can be on top. For every business owner, there has to be employees. For every freelancer, someone has to be the assistant to to their mundane tasks.

That's the real world. If therapists actually talk truthfully to you instead of trying to manipulate you, then there may be some actual benefit. Until then, it's just a scam.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: hopeisdead, ilikemoais, dinkyjester and 17 others
ChiseHatori

ChiseHatori

Mar 2, 2023
In my experience, my therapist was extremely honest with me. There are many, many, MANY bad therapists out there though. So I understand where you're coming from. IMO, they just need to screen and categorize mental health workers better. And fix the whole system.

Reactions: sad_dude, aaturtle, girlwithflaxenhair0 and 4 others
O

OhWellDerp321

Student
Jun 1, 2023
In my experience, my therapist was extremely honest with me. There are many, many, MANY bad therapists out there though. So I understand where you're coming from. IMO, they just need to screen and categorize mental health workers better. And fix the whole system.
And what happens when you talk about suicide with your therapist?.... Are they still honest? Or do they say stuff like "Don't do it. Things can improve" That honestly only goes so far.

Reactions: darknesscomesquick, Rogue Proxy, Skathon and 1 other person
S

scared:bug

Mar 8, 2023
I like my current therapist/psychologist. She has helped me navigate going back into society after being a shut-in for a long time. She helps me put my thoughts in perspective. I get very stuck usually. She helps me untangle a bit. Although many therapists are not very good, I agree. This one is the first one I like. Although this is the first one with whom I have made an effort myself.

Reactions: yyytry, sserafim, aaturtle and 3 others
Greyscale

Greyscale

Sep 19, 2023
I'm sorry that you've had a rough time with therapy. I've been in therapy semi-frequently for around a decade.

I've had my fair share of bad therapists, however, I don't believe that most therapists are malicious.

They're beneficial, they can teach you certain things to help you cope and adjust to the world, such as Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and Dialectical Behavior Therapy.

Therapy hasn't helped me as much as I would have liked, but it has given me the tools to try to understand myself better.

Reactions: consider, aaturtle, lita-lassi and 2 others
C

conarc

Experienced
Aug 8, 2023
Therapists are using some techniques to try making you a slave of the system again.

Most of the depressed people have something in common: We know that reality is fucked up and giving up would only be rational.

And yes, this thread is already hijacked by either therapists themselves or prolifers. Sadly, this forum has almost become a depression callcenter...

Last edited:
Reactions: darknesscomesquick, BurningSita, hopeisdead and 5 others
Foreverix

Foreverix

Aeternum Vale
Sep 18, 2023
I overall didn't mind the several therapists I've had over the years. But only one was probably really helpful, and seemed to show some amount of care for my wellbeing.

I also used to pay prostitutes. IMO, they are more fun because most are just as good at listening, and they'll have sex with you to help you feel better (if that's your thing).

Most of this reminds me of just how transactional and impersonal most of my relationships were though. It's quite sad.

Reactions: OhWellDerp321 and squirley
strawb12

strawb12

Student
Mar 26, 2023
Idk, I sort of agree with this but I definitely think there are exceptions. I've had soo many therapists & psychiatrists & some were similar to what you're describing but some were either genuinely helpful, not just listening to my problems but giving helpful advice that improved my life. I've never liked therapy, I agree I think most of the time it's a waste of time but I'm still a little conflicted with how much I agree with your post.

Reactions: OhWellDerp321, edu0z, skittle-chan and 1 other person
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
It's certainly a scam to me, the whole industry just exists to profit from people's suffering which can explain why there is so brainwashing into trying to make people believe that wanting suicide is "irrational". I cannot stand it when people try to push the idea that suicidal people need therapy, to me those people are certainly brainwashed.

• Hugs
Reactions: livingwishtodie, Arihman, Rogue Proxy and 6 others
O

OhWellDerp321

Student
Jun 1, 2023
Therapists are using some techniques to try making you a slave of the system again.

Most of the depressed people have something in common: We know that reality is fucked up and giving up would only be rational.

And yes, this thread is already hijacked by either therapists themselves or prolifers. Sadly, this forum has almost become a depression callcenter...
I don't think therapists care about making you a "slave" of the system. They care to make more money off you. Since that benefits them.
Again, this is where reality comes into play. No one would offer "free therapy" since it is a job. As much as they try to care about you, at the end of the day, it's their job. They need money to put food on the table. And your their source of income.

Reactions: hopeisdead, dinkyjester, sserafim and 2 others
C

conarc

Experienced
Aug 8, 2023
The only way for them to make money IS by trying to make us slaves again. If they do otherwise, like "its ok if you want to CTB" they would loose their job.

Reactions: dinkyjester, Skathon and OhWellDerp321
Somethingiswaddling

Somethingiswaddling

goober
Aug 19, 2023
I wish i could like, say you're not right, but really the mental health care system has disappointed me too many times. They should really look in a mirror and reform everything before preaching about "reaching for professional help" when most of professionals are either incompetent or venal.

• Love
Reactions: livingwishtodie, hopeisdead, dinkyjester and 1 other person
SpiritualDeath

SpiritualDeath

I return to the raiding shadows of death.
Sep 9, 2023
The only and ultimate goal of therapy is to make you functional, fit into society and continuing with life. If that's not your goal or you always have questions like "what's the point of fitting into society and continuing with life" that this system cannot (or refuse to) answer, I assume you'll find it useless very soon.

I tried therapy and found it quite useless. I didn't even find the ranting part useful since I found myself not able to really rant (say what I truly feel), and damn, it's expensive as fuck.

• Love
Reactions: livingwishtodie, hopeisdead, dinkyjester and 11 others
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
Very well said. That's why in my case therapy would be a waste of time and money. In the end the therapist is richer but not me and I still have no other choice but to CTB in the end.

• Hugs
Reactions: Rogue Proxy, sserafim, Bacon and Baseball and 3 others
O

OhWellDerp321

Student
Jun 1, 2023
I wish i could like, say you're not right, but really the mental health care system has disappointed me too many times. They should really look in a mirror and reform everything before preaching about "reaching for professional help" when most of professionals are either incompetent or venal.
It's a job at the end of the day to them. What baffles me is that they have actual degrees for becoming a therapist.... Like you need to be qualified for others to rant their problems to you...

Reactions: Somethingiswaddling
lita-lassi

lita-lassi

let me spell it out for you: go to hell
Sep 25, 2023
finding someone who works well with you and you trust them enough to try and youre both realistic isnt a scam. it is very possible to be completely honest with a therapist without going into territory where you will be hospitalized

Reactions: ChiseHatori
ChiseHatori

ChiseHatori

Mar 2, 2023
And what happens when you talk about suicide with your therapist?.... Are they still honest? Or do they say stuff like "Don't do it. Things can improve" That honestly only goes so far.
You got me there. I didn't talk about it with her due to the legal requirement of committing someone past a point (and I really didn't wanna be committed). I don't think she would've done it without warning me, but I didn't wanna take the chance.

Regardless of my ideation, which I didn't want to share anyway, (we were working through trauma and other things more important to me at the time)... she helped me learn a lot of things about myself.

Therapists aren't perfect, but for some people they are lifesavers, just like medication which I personally dislike but respect those who need/use them.

Last edited:
Reactions: DeadlineDialer and lita-lassi
lita-lassi

lita-lassi

Sep 25, 2023
It's a job at the end of the day to them. What baffles me is that they have actual degrees for becoming a therapist.... Like you need to be qualified for others to rant their problems to you...
it requires degrees because the human mind/brain is a science thats continually improving just like any other branch only its even more nuanced because humans are a lot more complicated and less direct. youre only addressing one part of their job. anyone can supposedly listen but most humans will give you absolutely useless panic responses in return. education is to learn to navigate these hard issues people present with the best known methods to date. again, that is continually changing and neuroscience as a modern/applicable scientific field is only about 15-20 years old. if you arent being listened to, move along to a better one or try something different. they are just tools, you must do the actual legwork

Last edited:
Reactions: livingwishtodie
O

OhWellDerp321

Student
Jun 1, 2023
finding someone who works well with you and you trust them enough to try and youre both realistic isnt a scam. it is very possible to be completely honest with a therapist without going into territory where you will be hospitalized
how do you be honest? You can't. "I want to suicide, here is my plan." Boom. You are in the hospital.
If you have to talk around that, that's not honesty.

Reactions: livingwishtodie, darknesscomesquick and hopeisdead
guinea-pig

guinea-pig

:0
Jul 31, 2023
how do you be honest? You can't. "I want to suicide, here is my plan." Boom. You are in the hospital.
If you have to talk around that, that's not honesty.
You can definitely talk about suicide you just can't be stupid about it and say direct threats. You can still say "I want to die." Etc. I've done it so many times and I haven't been hospitalized since 13. Why would you share a plan in therapy or with anyone anyways unless you want to stop it? That type of honesty is not needed.

Reactions: lita-lassi
O

OhWellDerp321

Student
Jun 1, 2023
it requires degrees because the human mind/brain is a science thats continually improving just like any other branch only its even more nuanced because humans are a lot more complicated and less direct. youre only addressing one part of their job. anyone can supposedly listen but most humans will give you absolutely useless panic responses in return. education is to learn to navigate these hard issues people present with the best known methods to date. again, that is continually changing and neuroscience as a modern scientific field is only about 15-20 years old. if you arent being listened to, move along to a better one or try something different. they are just tools, you must do the actual legwork
You don't need science to sit there to listen to someone's problems. You just need two ears. Really not that complex. The other part of their job is to say "stay positive. Relax and focus on the present, not the future". Don't need to spend 3+ years on a degree for someone to say that either.
You can definitely talk about suicide you just can't be stupid about it and say direct threats. You can still say "I want to die." Etc. I've done it so many times and I haven't been hospitalized since 13. Why would you share a plan in therapy or with anyone anyways unless you want to stop it? That type of honesty is not needed
Then you aren't being truthful. If you have to dodge around and say "Oh, I feel suicidal, but I don't have plans" when you really do and really want to suicide the next day, then there is no point of talking to a therapist anyways.

Last edited:
Reactions: livingwishtodie and hopeisdead
lita-lassi

lita-lassi

Sep 25, 2023
You don't need science to sit there to listen to someone's problems. You just need two ears. Really not that complex. The other part of their job is to say "stay positive. Relax and focus on the present, not the future". Don't need to spend 3+ years on a degree for someone to say that either.
i literally said anyone can supposedly listen, the education is to guide them to a) not have a panic response to anothers trauma which will seriously fuck up their ability to help anyone and b) allow them to ask the right questions for you to help yourself. the same reasons you go to an eye doctor for contacts instead of a blind stranger.

Reactions: aaturtle
O

OhWellDerp321

Student
Jun 1, 2023
i literally said anyone can supposedly listen, the education is to guide them to a) not have a panic response to anothers trauma which will seriously fuck up their ability to help anyone and b) allow them to ask the right questions for you to help yourself. the same reasons you go to an eye doctor for contacts instead of a blind stranger.
a) Why would people panic if you tell someone your trauma? Telling your friend that your parents were verbally abusive in the past won't give your friend a heart attack and send him to the emerge.
b) My eye doctor doesn't tell me to help myself. They do exams and tests.
If my eye doctor told me "I can't help you, only you can truly help yourself", I'd piss off and go to another eye doctor.

lita-lassi

lita-lassi

Sep 25, 2023
a) Why would people panic if you tell someone your trauma? Telling your friend that your parents were verbally abusive in the past won't give your friend a heart attack and send him to the emerge.
b) My eye doctor doesn't tell me to help myself. They do exams and tests.
If my eye doctor told me "I can't help you, only you can truly help yourself", I'd piss off and go to another eye doctor.

youre extremely obtuse and not good at contextualizing anything is all i can gather

aaturtle

aaturtle

sativa!
Sep 26, 2023
Dog, therapists are literally trained to remain impartial. They don't give people false hope.

Also what's with the hypothetical millionaire situation? I have never had a therapist say "well maybe one day you can have all your hopes and dreams and blah blah blah!"

If you don't believe your therapist is grounded in reality, then find someone else.

Another thing: You don't see it because to be frank, your head is so far up your ass, but you're just as delusional as unrealistically hopeful people by being unrealistically pessimistic. This belief that therapists are manipulative and out for your money is nuts. Not sure what you're so angry about, maybe you need a blunt, idk.

Reactions: Clasrink, outlook56 and lita-lassi
outlook56

outlook56

Sep 24, 2023
Dog, therapists are literally trained to remain impartial. They don't give people false hope.

Also what's with the hypothetical millionaire situation? I have never had a therapist say "well maybe one day you can have all your hopes and dreams and blah blah blah!"

If you don't believe your therapist is grounded in reality, then find someone else.

Another thing: You don't see it because to be frank, your head is so far up your ass, but you're just as delusional as unrealistically hopeful people by being unrealistically pessimistic. This belief that therapists are manipulative and out for your money is nuts. Not sure what you're so angry about, maybe you need a blunt, idk
I really agree with you. People may often think that the psychiatrist is Jesus Christ the Savior. He is just a simple employee who gives you some instructions and medications. What do you expect from him? He is not Batman.

Reactions: Clasrink, lita-lassi and aaturtle
aaturtle

aaturtle

sativa!
Sep 26, 2023
I really agree with you. People may often think that the psychiatrist is Jesus Christ the Savior. He is just a simple employee who gives you some instructions and medications. What do you expect from him? He is not Batman.
Exactly. Just another human being, but with the training necessary to engage with people who want help. I see therapists as people who offer various coping mechanisms + a space to freely talk about unexplored thoughts and feelings that dampen my quality of life because sometimes talking about negative feelings with people who actually know me is terrifying. Plus, friends and family don't always know what to do to help out in that way.

Reactions: Clasrink, lita-lassi and outlook56
outlook56

outlook56

Sep 24, 2023
Exactly. Just another human being, but with the training necessary to engage with people who want help. I see therapists as people who offer various coping mechanisms + a space to freely talk about unexplored thoughts and feelings that dampen my quality of life because sometimes talking about negative feelings with people who actually know me is terrifying. Plus, friends and family don't always know what to do to help out in that way.
As I said before, the psychiatrist is not Batman. He will not give you money. He will not give you a house. He will not give you a job or new body or new love . His job is, as I said, a good space to talk. Instructions on how to deal with stress, such as distracting yourself, breathing, etc., with some medications.I used to see a psychiatrist as something big, but now it's much smaller It is not really permissible to place a psychiatrist at a high level. If you want to commit suicide, you will commit suicide. A psychiatrist with a certificate and 20 years of experience will not prevent you from doing so.

Last edited:
Reactions: Clasrink, aaturtle and lita-lassi
Teleftaía Anapnoí

Teleftaía Anapnoí

δεν υπάρχει μέλλον
Jul 6, 2023
Here in Brazil we do not have a psychiatric containment system for patients with depressive symptoms. You can be hospitalized, but no one will come to hospitalize you for saying they want to kill themselves. I decided to be honest with my therapist, I said that I had three methods to leave this party. Since then, our sessions have been much more sincere, both on her part and on mine. I said I had given up. She did try to convince me to stay alive, but therapy itself consists of good arguments and a discussion where apparently both of us learn. I have criticisms to psychology regarding the aspect of individual interpretation. As you very well put it in your text, we are mostly workers and yes, we are exploited. There is a social problem that leads to suicide, it is not something purely individual. And working on this in therapy even helped me form better arguments in favor of the notion of pro-choice. I know I'm taking a serious risk by opening the game this way. I can be hospitalized at any time. But I realized that they can't do anything against us. When reason decides to end itself, it doesn't matter who forces you to stay alive. You will get what you want, one time or another. And I make it clear about the powerlessness that pro-lifers have. They are powerless before us.

Reactions: lita-lassi
guinea-pig

guinea-pig

:0
Jul 31, 2023

Then you aren't being truthful. If you have to dodge around and say "Oh, I feel suicidal, but I don't have plans" when you really do and really want to suicide the next day, then there is no point of talking to a therapist anyways.
Ok but idk why not being able to say you have a plan with a therapist is a bad thing? you can still get support in so many other ways, even relating to suicide!! Like my therapist shares her viewpoint sometimes relating to my thoughts so I can be curious about things more.

Obviously they are going to protect their license over your feelings and report you if you say you have a plan. You can't be 100% honest with suicide with ANYONE because it's selfish and unnecessary.

Reactions: Teleftaía Anapnoí