• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3b
    oei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Rollo

Rollo

No pasaran
Aug 13, 2018
I don't mean to be rude, but as a prospective therapist and mental health professional-what are you doing on a ctb forum:D? It seems like a place most counsellors wouldn't go to. But I hope you have a good stay here.

Many people ctb due to mental health issues, so naturally I'm interested in talking about it.

Smilla

Smilla

Visionary
Apr 30, 2018
Therapy = stealing

Jeffrey Masson of acclaimed Freud fame became so disillusioned with the therapy industry he went on to write a book about his experiences as a psychoanalyst and ultimately called therapy a "socially sanctioned form of abuse".

Psychoanalysis definitely is, not sure about the other "models" of therapy but there are many pitfalls if you end up in the hands of a bad one. I did.

Reactions: CentreMid, lv-gras, ScaredOfLife and 1 other person
Desperate_Soul

Desperate_Soul

I'll See You Guys On The Other Side Of The Rainbow
Aug 26, 2018
How did all of you guys manage to get into therapy and attempt to get help? Was it nerve wracking? Were you in denial that you needed any help in the first place? I want to get help, but I have the mindset that people don't really care and help won't help and I'll just be wasting my time.

Ashpac

Ashpac

Lost and always will be.
Jul 22, 2018
Id say very few care about their patients.

They dont really care about your pain.

They want you to talk about it, understand it, and accept it so you can move forward with your life.

Its not that easy though.

Alot of them dont get that.

Reactions: CentreMid, betteroffdead, epil and 3 others
Smilla

Smilla

Visionary
Apr 30, 2018
How did all of you guys manage to get into therapy and attempt to get help? Was it nerve wracking? Were you in denial that you needed any help in the first place? I want to get help, but I have the mindset that people don't really care and help won't help and I'll just be wasting my time.

Long story here but my experience was years ago. Best advice I can give you is shop around, see a minimum of 3, and quit immediately if you ever feel disrespected or demeaned.

Reactions: CentreMid, betteroffdead, ScaredOfLife and 4 others
SamK

SamK

Cloud Surfing
Aug 21, 2018
I agree on Smilla's post.. quit immediately if you feel disrespected, if they talk or lok down upon you, if they fail to listen, make rude remarks, brush off your problems/minimize them, or even if you feel uncomfortable in their presence, trust is so important.. its important to have that ability to first relax around them

Reactions: CentreMid, betteroffdead, Regisphilbin_savant and 2 others
RM5998

RM5998

Sack of Meat
Sep 3, 2018
Id say very few care about their patients.

They dont really care about your pain.

They want you to talk about it, understand it, and accept it so you can move forward with your life.

Isn't that the point of therapy, only to put you back into society?

Reactions: MAIO
Ashpac

Ashpac

Lost and always will be.
Jul 22, 2018
Isn't that the point of therapy, only to put you back into society?

I dont mind their intentions. As long as their geniune.

What I do mind is the bullshit they say that sometimes they dont even believe in.

If they dont like you or look down on you, youre fucked and you need to go elsewhere.

Or come on here and tell everyone your problems and you'll probably get better advice!

Reactions: CentreMid
D

Diane

Sep 6, 2018
Do therapists really care about you, or is it all just a job to them?

I know they need to make money to live, but do they really care about their patients?

SOME of them actually care, but others are not only just trying to get a check but also just want to hear people's personally business. Some really pull off they actually care REALLY good (and it's a shame). I have met some awesome therapists in my life (that to my knowledge actually DID care) and some really nutcase ones. I had this one therapist tell me "one misconception that people have is that we have to be treated with respect". Love is 1 of the 5 basic human needs that I read about in my college psychology course ( I only took 1 class in that so I couldn't give you any professional advice on anything unfortunately). There's good and evil in every walk of life.

Reactions: Desperate_Soul
Caustic Cardinals

Caustic Cardinals

Enlightened
Sep 1, 2018
I have had a fewTherapist over the years and a few psychiatrist psychologist. some of them don't know their own face from a hole in the ground and occasionally I had to demonstrate that the hole in the ground was where their face should to be.But I've also had some very knowledgeable and experienced professionals. you have to shop around.

Reactions: Regisphilbin_savant, RM5998, Diane and 1 other person
RM5998

RM5998

Sack of Meat
Sep 3, 2018
I dont mind their intentions. As long as their geniune.

What I do mind is the bullshit they say that sometimes they dont even believe in.

If they dont like you or look down on you, youre fucked and you need to go elsewhere.

Or come on here and tell everyone your problems and you'll probably get better advice!

The majority of people need to believe that their lives are happy and that they should be happy, and thus most therapists do whatever they can to put people in this state. It's an easier way to keep them putting value into the societal machine. Most of the time, that would necessitate lying.

If we made it clear that the therapist is basically there so that they go back to serve society, it would make therapy even less successful than it is now. The majority needs the artifice, and the ones among us looking for truth are the casualty.

Reactions: setianism
setianism

setianism

Sep 15, 2018
I've been to a handful of therapists and no of them seemed to care; they called me an attention seeker and didn't belive I'd attempt suicide till I actually did it. But if I was a therapist I definitely would stop caring when I'd talk to the 20th suicidal patient hearing the same things over and over

Reactions: RM5998, betteroffdead, Lunar and 1 other person
Regisphilbin_savant

Regisphilbin_savant

Student
Sep 12, 2018
I cannot stand therapists. They just spew clichéd regurgitated shit at u hide their real motives and act with a ludicrous air of superiority toward s u .fukin useless

Reactions: Tiburcio, lv-gras and setianism
M

MAIO

Elementalist
Apr 8, 2018
Do therapists really care about you, or is it all just a job to them?

I know they need to make money to live, but do they really care about their patients?

Would a therapist or prostitute be more therapeutic? I know which would be cheaper. And both would listen to your problems

Reactions: Regisphilbin_savant and lv-gras
M

MAIO

Elementalist
Apr 8, 2018
It honestly depends. They have to get at the very least a masters degree. That isn't easy and graduate school admissions to become a therapist are VERY competitive.

It's also not prestigious and they don't make a lot of money.

There are definitely some that do care but have to not get involved (they're trained not to). There are some that did care but are desensitized/burned out. Then there are some that I have no idea why they decided to become a therapist because they chose it for all the wrong reasons whatever they where.

Alot of therapist make a lot of money. Sure they don't make as much as engineers(although some do) but that does not mean by default they care more than engineers.

Trashcan

Trashcan

Trash
Aug 31, 2018
Alot of therapist make a lot of money. Sure they don't make as much as engineers(although some do) but that does not mean by default they care more than engineers.

I can think of careers with less education (sometimes even only an associates degree) that makes more than your average therapist, but there definetly seems to be some dumb reason some people become a therapist.

M

MAIO

Elementalist
Apr 8, 2018
I can think of careers with less education (sometimes even only an associates degree) that makes more than your average therapist, but there definetly seems to be some dumb reason some people become a therapist.

Ups drivers commonly make 6 figure with a great pension and benefits or more than the average dr degree according to the BLS .Therefore anyone who goes into almost any field went into that field because they care. See the problem?