• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

glitterypearls

glitterypearls

sing me to sleep
Mar 23, 2023
I been in therapy for a long time, I was very active in BPD support type of places IRL and online on reddit. they kept saying how you can "recover" from BPD and how it's rare for a person with BPD to have suicidal thoughts. I thought it was my fault. I thought it was just me. till I joined here and realized that there is so many posts from people who have BPD. it's a common thing and it's not my fault. I'm going to quit therapy it never helped anyways but this opened my eyes on how they lie to us with their fake positivity and "just practice DBT and breathing exercises" what a load of bullshit lol

Looking

Looking

Looking for the answer.
Jan 16, 2023
Weird they told you it was "rare" for borderline people to feel suicidal, counting the way the disorder causes emotional turmoil on the person.

I'm sorry to hear your experience with therapy being so.... so, so bad, and misguided and misinformed. I'm glad you found a community where you can find like-minded individuals.

glitterypearls

glitterypearls

sing me to sleep
Mar 23, 2023
Weird they told you it was "rare" for borderline people to feel suicidal, counting the way the disorder causes emotional turmoil on the person.

I'm sorry to hear your experience with therapy being so.... so, so bad, and misguided and misinformed. I'm glad you found a community where you can find like-minded individuals.

they assume you can control your feelings and emotions. this disorder have so much stigma around it, everyone wanna act like it's easy and "let's be positive about it and don't forget your breathing exercises!" It's sad that it took me to reach a new low to find that it's not me, I'm not weak for not being able to control things. It's just the common experience if you don't have a perfect environment. thank you for your nice comment 💕

Last edited:
S

sadjenny

Student
Feb 13, 2023
Oh yes! I was diagnosed BPD when I was younger. I've been in therapy and on medication for 20+ years. Antidepressants, antipsychotics, tranquilizers, mood stabilizers. Boy howdy.

Therapy is useless for the core wound of most with BPD. It's my belief that DBT is largely for the benefit of other people in your life: making you more "manageable" or less "crazy". But still the torrent of pain and emotions is in you. You just learn to gaslight yourself that the suffering isn't so bad.

It isn't your fault you feel the way you do! You didn't choose it. It's not a personal failing.

BasqueClown

BasqueClown

Zirkua ata heriotza
Jun 9, 2022
they kept saying how you can "recover" from BPD and how it's rare for a person with BPD to have suicidal thoughts.
Unfortunately they lied to you. A colleague of university died by suicide and a friend in common told me that she was diagnosed with BPD two years ago.
I know your frustration about the lying therapists and doctors. I recently discover that I was misdiagnosed and consequently make more harm than helping me. Also, reading the reviews on Google of the psych ward I was forced to entry, I'm not the only one who was mistreated there.
So I know and get your frustration because I feel kinda same thing. Psychiatry is a mess about getting the proper diagnosis.

syl_stone

syl_stone

Feb 21, 2023
In my country at least, therapists I've talked to never mentioned BPD not being assosiated with suicidal behaviors. The fact that BPD is "not forever" is true, though it doesn't mean that it's curable - most patients just stop experiencing symptoms closer to 40-50 yers, which is a terribly long time to wait. One of my friends who was diagnosed with BPD manages to function with her pills, though it is still painfully obvious that something is off with her. If have it in you to try to find another therapist, it might benefit you. But I know that sometimes it can be impossible.

Toji

Toji

waste away with me
Mar 24, 2023
i hated therapy, they always tried to give me the most pointless and ineffective solutions.
writing in mood boards and tracking your moods, i honestly don't even know how to describe my moods some days i feel completely emotionless some days i just wanna cry until i can't no more.
another reason i hated them was i always had to keep switching therapists they always had me explain my situation over and over until i got so tired i stopped going. it felt so repetitive there wasn't any actual help or advice, the "help" more about asking why i feel like this my answer "i don't know" because i truly don't know.
they said all of their meetings are one to one and confidential so i told them about all of my thoughts and how i harm myself which completely backfired and ended with me being forced into a mental institution for a whole month and family finding out about what's been going on with me, which gave me severe trust issues and never attended therapy again, the mental institution traumatised me making me even worse the staff was verbally abusive and the constant screaming from other patients was enough to give me night terrors for a while. in the end all the therapists did to "help" me was just give me a strong antidepressant prescription which did nothing at all but make my emotionless state even worse.

JudasIscariot

JudasIscariot

Mar 23, 2023
Suicidal thoughts in those suffering with BPD is absolutely common, not rare at all; suicidal tendancies and fixations in Borderlines is referred to as a "way of life" due to how intense the thoughts regarding suicide are. DBT is an awful therapy that only does more harm than good. There is a method used to identify cults, referred to as the BITE model; it describes the level of influence that cults have on the mind of a vulnerable person. DBT literally fits the BITE model. It's absolutely disgusting and I can only hope that such harmful therapies are outlawed soon enough. Sorry you've had this experience.
Oh yes! I was diagnosed BPD when I was younger. I've been in therapy and on medication for 20+ years. Antidepressants, antipsychotics, tranquilizers, mood stabilizers. Boy howdy.

Therapy is useless for the core wound of most with BPD. It's my belief that DBT is largely for the benefit of other people in your life: making you more "manageable" or less "crazy". But still the torrent of pain and emotions is in you. You just learn to gaslight yourself that the suffering isn't so bad.

It isn't your fault you feel the way you do! You didn't choose it. It's not a personal failing.
Definitely agree with this. Most psychiatric prescriptions and therapies, especially when pertaining to BPD or other severe disorders, are only for the benefit of others. DBT sounds incredibly harmful, literally seems like those in DBT have to "trick" themselves into feeling a different way, which is fundamentally flawed. Notice how DBT never applies to any abusers, only those who are suffering. I find "radical acceptance" pretty disgusting too, as it forces patients of DBT to shove their feelings down for the benefit of others. DBT is awful, useless. You illustrated a lot of my thoughts in your comment!

Last edited:
D

Danielwc

Mar 21, 2023
Most therapists and Dr's have no personal experience, they will just do courses and/or read books. They become convinced that makes them experts and nothing you say may contradict them. Mental health treatment is still in its infancy and full of outdated ideas. They are not yet listening to patients and finding out what works and what doesn't. In the U.S. there are around 132 suicides a day and rising, I'd say that's a real pandemic. Whatever these health professionals are doing it isn't working.

spacehardware

spacehardware

Unsubscribing soon
Feb 21, 2022

I've been through 18 months of dbt and this is spot on. My pain is still unmeasurable, my trauma hasn't gone anywhere, the visibility of my emotions is simply subdued. I am less of a drain on the system because I don't wind up in a&e constantly needing treatment for self harm. Imo burying my emotions the way dbt taught me to has only served to make me more suicidal. My coping mechanisms, albeit destructive, kept me alive for a long time. I'll be much less of a drain on the system soon, ctb pending. 🤞

Mirrory Me

Mirrory Me

Life is a mirror, but "whose" mirror?
Mar 23, 2023
I readed about the therapy method you mentioned - I don't think it's useful because the traumatic episodes can be quite intense. What might actually help, is to relive those past moments when you felt those feelings for the first time. I have succefully used this method myself, and journaled about it a lot:

Last edited:
E

EndlessNight

Mar 21, 2023
Therapist is one of the most useless professions out there. They solve almost nothing that you would if you talked to any other person and the fact that you have to pay to talk to them makes everything robotic and cold. I only see my psychiatrist/therapist because I need medication, but other than that I don't see any use on them and all the advice they gives to me dont help at all.

FuneralCry

FuneralCry

She wished that she never existed...
Sep 24, 2020
Therapy just sounds like a way to profit from people's suffering to me, a complete waste of time, I'm not even surprised that you found it to be useless.

Reactions: heavyeyes
D

Dominicka

Dec 22, 2021
I been in therapy for a long time, I was very active in BPD support type of places IRL and online on reddit. they kept saying how you can "recover" from BPD and how it's rare for a person with BPD to have suicidal thoughts. I thought it was my fault. I thought it was just me. till I joined here and realized that there is so many posts from people who have BPD. it's a common thing and it's not my fault. I'm going to quit therapy it never helped anyways but this opened my eyes on how they lie to us with their fake positivity and "just practice DBT and breathing exercises" what a load of bullshit lol
Wow. You were told it's rare for BPD'ers to be suicidal? What a crock of shit. I hate the medical community so gd much.

theboy

theboy

Visionary
Jul 15, 2022
I don't think psychiatry and therapies are nonsense. It is true that many treatments and diagnoses are wrong. Besides, the classic "Big Pharma" conspiracy theory does not do the pharmaceutical industry any favours. However, it has been proven scientifically (and from patients' opinions) that it has helped them to overcome or treat mental problems.

warmsand

warmsand

cool
Mar 26, 2023
I don't think psychiatry and therapies are nonsense. It is true that many treatments and diagnoses are wrong. Besides, the classic "Big Pharma" conspiracy theory does not do the pharmaceutical industry any favours. However, it has been proven scientifically (and from patients' opinions) that it has helped them to overcome or treat mental problems.
agreed for the most part. therapy is useful for most "normal" people or people who have support systems and reasons to live. in other words, people who really are just suffering from a chemical imbalance and nothing more.

in my opinion, the idea that therapy is useful for everyone is BS. lots of suicidal people are just dissatisfied with things outside of their control. their disorders, their minds, the way they view the world, the way the world views them, etc. no amount of therapy can fix those things.

theboy

theboy

Visionary
Jul 15, 2022
agreed for the most part. therapy is useful for most "normal" people or people who have support systems and reasons to live. in other words, people who really are just suffering from a chemical imbalance and nothing more.

in my opinion, the idea that therapy is useful for everyone is BS. lots of suicidal people are just dissatisfied with things outside of their control. their disorders, their minds, the way they view the world, the way the world views them, etc. no amount of therapy can fix those things.
It is true
People who claim that no therapy works for them is because it doesn't really work for them but the doctors insist that they continue to live. It is unfortunate.

¿What is BS?

Viranamari

Viranamari

A Future Corpse
Feb 22, 2023
It's odd that they said most people with BPD aren't suicidal. If anything, it might be the opposite. Therapy is rarely useful so I'm not too surprised you didn't benefit from it. They say things like," You can only change if you wan to change," but in reality, it's way more difficult than that. Their advice barely helps and personally, only the medication might be useful. Anyways, I hope things get better.

shinohara

shinohara

Feb 26, 2023
I was suggested DBT since I apparently have "borderline tendencies" (ie. self harm and "emotional dysregulation") and it was so god damn awful. CBT is pretty useless (for me) and EDMR was kind of just nothing.
ofc there's a million other therapy styles you could try but I don't really blame you if you're fed up with it