• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
Note: I am an antinatalist myself and subscribe to the antinatalist viewpoint and philosophy. I don't plan on having biological children nor adopting any and this article is written to explain why there is outrage towards the idea of antinatalism. Also, no, the outrage isn't going to change my stance, I'm still an antinatalist (self-identified) and will continue to be.

I can understand why there is more uproar and animosity towards antinatalism arguments and philosophy than the right to die. There are two components to this:

1. I think part of this stems from the fact that the argument that birth is bad is a hard concept for others to take in, especially when people who are conceived (well all of us who are alive and lack introspection or questioning into sentience itself) often view existence from the lens of experiencing it. Therefore, they cannot perceive what it is like to not perceive (can clarify later if it is ambiguous or confusing to grasp). The non-sentient cannot perceive non-sentience.

2. The imposition and view that antinatalism is "depriving" natalists (people who want to bring new life into existence through procreation) of their right to reproduce. To them, the natalists, this is seen as an "attack" on their rights (even if I disagree with them). Whereas the right to die is more aimed towards people who are exercising their personal bodily autonomy as a choice instead of being directly attacked.

In other words, natalists see their right to impose birth and give birth as their rights, similar to a citizen's birthright and civil rights: the freedom of speech, freedom to bear arms, freedom from unreasonable search and seizures, and many more human rights. When those rights are under siege (or even perceived to be under siege or threatened, whether by government or another entity, in this case, antinatalists), they become defensive and start to vehemently oppose antinatalism.

Therefore, as a result of this, antinatalism has drawn quite a bit of ire from the masses mainly because they cannot perceive the lack of sentience to be a good thing but rather thinking that non-sentience (no life, non-existence) is some sort of "bad" from their perspective. Additionally, they treat the act of procreation as a "right" and when anything threatens said right, they start to become defensive and want to protect it at all costs. Anyways, this is just my thoughts and two cents on what I think may be the root causes for why people oppose antinatalism philosophy and tenets. Finally, I want to reiterate that it doesn't change my stance on antinatalism, I'm still an antinatalist myself and I don't plan on bringing in new suffering into this world against it's will.

F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Yes- I agree. Basically telling someone they shouldn't have children is going to feel like more of an infringement of their rights rather than saying- can you look the other way while I kill myself please?

The problem is- both parties are fighting for the rights of a life that doesn't belong to them. A life that neither has a clue as to how it will turn out. One is insisting that life will be bad, the other, good. It's complicated fighting for the rights of something that doesn't exist at the moment. We don't know whether that being will be grateful for its chance to live or resent it.

Thing is though- to someone who views the opportunity to live as a gift- even if they have struggled in life- you're not going to be able to convince them that it's a bad thing to give that to someone else. Same as- someone who feels life is a curse very likely won't want to pass that on. We can't really help but be guided by our own experiences. I not so sure many 'normies' would choose non existence over existence- so, I suspect they just assume their children will feel the same way.

Personally- I do hold antinatilist views but I'm not militant about it. In truth, when I hear people have children, I just hope for the best for them. I think it's one hell of a risk people are playing- with someone elses life but I just hope it works out for them and especially their children.

Reactions: sserafim and TAW122
TAW122

TAW122

Emissary of the right to die.
Aug 30, 2018
Yes- I agree. Basically telling someone they shouldn't have children is going to feel like more of an infringement of their rights rather than saying- can you look the other way while I kill myself please?

The problem is- both parties are fighting for the rights of a life that doesn't belong to them. A life that neither has a clue as to how it will turn out. One is insisting that life will be bad, the other, good. It's complicated fighting for the rights of something that doesn't exist at the moment. We don't know whether that being will be grateful for its chance to live or resent it.

Thing is though- to someone who views the opportunity to live as a gift- even if they have struggled in life- you're not going to be able to convince them that it's a bad thing to give that to someone else. Same as- someone who feels life is a curse very likely won't want to pass that on. We can't really help but be guided by our own experiences. I not so sure many 'normies' would choose non existence over existence- so, I suspect they just assume their children will feel the same way.

Personally- I do hold antinatilist views but I'm not militant about it. In truth, when I hear people have children, I just hope for the best for them. I think it's one hell of a risk people are playing- with someone elses life but I just hope it works out for them and especially their children.
I may have forgotten to include this link to this video which is partly what prompted me to write an article about antinatalism and my stance on it. Your take on this makes a lot of sense and yes, I too am an antinatalist myself yet I don't impose nor push my views on it. In fact, I think I hardly even discuss about antinatalism IRL, maybe at best, just hinting at why I'm not having children (by framing it as a personal choice).

Reactions: Forever Sleep