booplesnoot34

booplesnoot34

I’ll miss the winter, a world of fragile things
Feb 8, 2023
They can trace your call. They can track you down. They can send the police. They can throw you in the mental hospital. Dial at your own risk.

BUT, there is a glimmer of light: one hotline that has been vocal against this since it started. It's in the article, please read it and share the knowledge.

Last edited:
  • Informative
  • Hugs
Reactions: scarlet-pixie, crystal_meth97, une vie grotesque and 18 others
アホペンギン

アホペンギン

Jul 10, 2023
And some friends suggested that i call one of these… I was actually considering calling them because they constantly told me it would help.. Now i know to never trust them. This is disgusting. Its terrible how no one cares about anyone's situation and force them to stay alive as long as they are fit enough to work and make the economy grow. All they do is prescribe antidepressants and throw people in the psych ward. I didn't know they'd go as far as tracing the call, though. I have no words to explain how horrible this is. Screw humanity, they are all useless. Supposedly they are the most intelligent species, they should understand emotion too…

• Hugs
Reactions: scarlet-pixie, traumer, 15032021 and 7 others
booplesnoot34

booplesnoot34

Feb 8, 2023
And some friends suggested that i call one of these… I was actually considering calling them because they constantly told me it would help.. Now i know to never trust them. This is disgusting. Its terrible how no one cares about anyone's situation and force them to stay alive as long as they are fit enough to work and make the economy grow. All they do is prescribe antidepressants and throw people in the psych ward. I didn't know they'd go as far as tracing the call, though. I have no words to explain how horrible this is. Screw humanity, they are all useless. Supposedly they are the most intelligent species, they should understand emotion too…
I was about to call a rape crisis hotline but now I can't trust anything. I don't want to be punished in horrific ways for being honest about how I feel. I'm so angry that this is how they treat us.

• Hugs
Reactions: 15032021, Pluto, Cute_&_Loving and 4 others
アホペンギン

アホペンギン

Jul 10, 2023
I was about to call a rape crisis hotline but now I can't trust anything. I don't want to be punished in horrific ways for being honest about how I feel. I'm so angry that this is how they treat us.
I completely agree with you. I don't see myself ever trusting anyone who proves they want to help anymore.. Who knows what their actual intentions are…

• Hugs
Reactions: Cute_&_Loving and CTBookOfLife
booplesnoot34

booplesnoot34

Feb 8, 2023
I completely agree with you. I don't see myself ever trusting anyone who proves they want to help anymore.. Who knows what their actual intentions are…
"Nevertheless, Andrews acknowledges mounting research showing that psychiatric hospitalization seems to be extremely suicidogenic. "When suicide researchers talk about elevated risk, they're talking about three times, four times, and sometimes ten times," says Andrews. "When we talk about inpatient treatment, it's exponentially larger."

After being psychiatrically hospitalized and treated, people become dozens or even hundreds of times more likely to kill themselves—even if they were never suicidal before. But Andrews believes more studies are needed to understand what this evidence truly means. "The lack of data is troubling. We hospitalize people at risk of suicide, even though we don't have any evidence that hospitalizing them is particularly helpful."

Save a life, warn about hotlines.
HOWEVER, keep reading the article. There appears to be one last beacon of hope in the fight against this sort of stuff. One hotline that can be trusted. Still, research it because this articles is few years old, but there could be one diamond in the rough.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Eternal🌈Rainbow, Cute_&_Loving, CTBookOfLife and 2 others
alonely

alonely

exists by being merely labeled
Jul 1, 2023
THIS. ALL of THIS is why i cant fucking talk to anybody. Why i cant fucking get help. Why i cant be fucking honest to any person in the world. Suicide hotlines are hurting people way more than theyre helping. Other people cant be trusted becauase theyll call the cops on you too. Fuck this.

Great article OP. Thanks for posting. This is gonna be my go to article when anyone asks why I dont get help.

• Hugs
Reactions: SMmetalhead36, ijustwishtodie, 15032021 and 10 others
carac

carac

"and if this is the end, i am glad i met you."
May 27, 2023
It feels to me like suicide hotlines are just for the benefit of the people running them not the users. They just want to feel good by convincing themselves they are helping people and being a good "samaritan" when really often they make things worse.

• Aww..
Reactions: ElysiumRain, CTBookOfLife, psp3000 and 4 others
mafuyu

mafuyu

electric angel
Feb 9, 2023
Fuck the hotlines, they're so fake. It's so weird. But, I recently had to call poison control and they're actually so nice. She even gave me the choice of going to the hospital or not, nothing forced.

• Love
Reactions: CTBookOfLife, anhedonicNfoggy, Freyja13 and 1 other person
illvoid

illvoid

he/it
Aug 11, 2022
Anyone struggling who needs someone to call without being committed should look into warmlines. Trans lifeline operates that way. Very helpful to not have a fear of saying too much on that phone call.

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: ElysiumRain, SarRy, CTBookOfLife and 1 other person
Freyja13

Freyja13

Today's air quality is mauve and speckled.
May 6, 2023
Anyone struggling who needs someone to call without being committed should look into warmlines. Trans lifeline operates that way. Very helpful to not have a fear of saying too much on that phone call.
Omg I called Trans Lifeline the other day and it was the best experience I had with a hotline. I felt so safe knowing they have a policy actually against active rescue and could talk to the operator freely. It helped calm me down and I actually felt much better after calling.

Reactions: illvoid
E

EndOfTheLine84

Aug 8, 2023
"Nevertheless, Andrews acknowledges mounting research showing that psychiatric hospitalization seems to be extremely suicidogenic. "When suicide researchers talk about elevated risk, they're talking about three times, four times, and sometimes ten times," says Andrews. "When we talk about inpatient treatment, it's exponentially larger."

After being psychiatrically hospitalized and treated, people become dozens or even hundreds of times more likely to kill themselves—even if they were never suicidal before. But Andrews believes more studies are needed to understand what this evidence truly means. "The lack of data is troubling. We hospitalize people at risk of suicide, even though we don't have any evidence that hospitalizing them is particularly helpful."

Save a life, warn about hotlines.

HOWEVER, keep reading the article. There appears to be one last beacon of hope in the fight against this sort of stuff. One hotline that can be trusted. Still, research it because this articles is few years old, but there could be one diamond in the rough.
I am guessing that you are in the US going from how you spell "hospitalise", so I am not that familiar with the law to detain someone in hospital there, but here in Britain, they need to go through a process where a doctor asks you a set series of questions related to suicidal intent (you can read upon what these are but essentially saying yes to the question that you have current plans to end your life, that's gonna get you locked up as you then pose an "imminent threat to the life of yourself or others" according to the the health system.
I would assume (assumptions can make an "ass out of "u" and "me" lol) but the United States should be similar, especially as you have a constitution there guaranteeing rights?
It may be state laws/regulations based also over there.

I have avoided being sectioned under the mental health act (detained/locked up in a mental hospital), but either outright lying, or avoiding answering the question and then asking them questions that are likely to provoke a response emotionally in them to get them tired and fed up with dealing with me (which I now realise as someone who has recently realised that I have Narcissistic Personality Disorder, which is one hell of a thing to wake up from and the reason I am on this board, but this reaction to those psychiatric nurses was likely just a form of my NPD trying to dodge a question using emotional manipulation, which worked wonders and they got angry at me and told me to leave, and they said "we're just trying to help you", and I replied "you're idea of help is to harm people you sick sadistic f*cks" with the police officer in the room next door in the hospital looking at me and she has an expression on her face of "like WTF").

My point is that surely they can't detain you in hospital, even if you did say on a phone call that you are suicidal, you could always outright lie and say that you are not anymore and it must have been a momentary thing and you were over-emotional (or something along those lines) when doctors/nurses arrive to try and detain you, and surely they can not legally detain you without first going through the risk assessment process they would need to do before they could even detain you, which is removing your freedom, which can only be done if there is a legitimate reason to do so surely?
I would be very surprised if the US does not have such protections, or else this power could be abused.

Just start asking them questions and take over the frame, such as asking them "are you suicidal? With a job working in psychiatry I bet you think of topping yourself all the time, does it make married life difficult? Or maybe you are divorced because of the sh*t you have to deal on a daily basis in your job is messing up your ability to feel empathy?
Or maybe this belligerent type of behavior doesn't work in America, maybe I would have already been shot by someone if I lived over there lol

Anyway, if you know what your rights are, for where you live, then you know the rules and what to avoid saying and what to say to avoid being locked up against your will.

I am not suggesting you end your life, I am struggling with the decision to end my life myself, and I am doing lots of thinking and journaling even though it seems hopeless, as it goes without saying that it's a very serious decision to make (it's perhaps the most important decision one can consider making in one's life), but what is for sure is that I am against people being locked up in hospitals against their will, I believe this is a violation of one's rights, and does not help people feel less suicidal from my own experience being detained in a mental hospital in my home country of Australia back when I was 15 years old, as it just made me feel worse.

CTBookOfLife

CTBookOfLife

ᴶᵘˢᵗ ᵃ ˢʰᵉˡˡ ᵒᶠ ᵃ ᵇᵒᵈʸ ʷⁱᵗʰ ᵐᵃⁿʸ ᵐⁱⁿᵈˢ
Aug 5, 2023
I have horrible ADHD and I can't seem to find the line in the article that is against call tracing, can someone message me it?

Also, do you have proof that Trans Lifeline operates this way? That's not to say you are lying, but I'm a bit paranoid.
I have used them before, but held back my true feelings, as I did not know this.

C

Cute_&_Loving

I like trinkets:)
May 10, 2023
I think it's much more productive to talk to an AI. They can do a much better job without breaking your trust.

• Love
Reactions: traumer, ElysiumRain and Costrecce
illvoid

illvoid

he/it
Aug 11, 2022
I have horrible ADHD and I can't seem to find the line in the article that is against call tracing, can someone message me it?

Also, do you have proof that Trans Lifeline operates this way? That's not to say you are lying, but I'm a bit paranoid.
I have used them before, but held back my true feelings, as I did not know this.
They have a super specific policy against sending responders to you. I've called them numerous times and never had anyone show up unlike w 988 and stuff.

Ambivalent1

Ambivalent1

🎵 Be all, end all 🎵
Apr 17, 2023
Ted Bundy was a suicide hotline worker.

Aug 25, 2023
Fuck the hotlines, they're so fake. It's so weird. But, I recently had to call poison control and they're actually so nice. She even gave me the choice of going to the hospital or not, nothing forced.
You sure are lucky. I called the poison hotline last time I tried to kill myself by drinking lighter fluid and starving myself, they must've traced my phone or something because after a couple hours they had cops take me away to the hospital. Another torturous week long time served in the psych ward...

D

dead_milky

Sep 9, 2023
I don't think it works like that in my country, however I know for a fact its common that the workers ignore you, hang up on you etc.

rosenwasser

rosenwasser

per ardua ad astra
Sep 9, 2023
I feel like these hotlines have their own definition of "help" and it isn't supporting you living through and with suicidal thoughts (much less letting you ctb if you so wish it). They are convinced that the suicidal thoughts themselves are bad, that you shouldn't be experiencing them, that they can and should be cured with specific meds. You never feel supported or understood when calling them. There might be exceptions but they don't understand and they don't want to, they just want to keep you from ctb with any means necessary.

A

Ah.ow

scared person
Mar 12, 2024
can i ask what happened with poison control?