• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

Status
Not open for further replies.
raindrops

raindrops

Someday, eventually
Mar 29, 2020
I have made a post before and I know we have the jump megathread to read but I'm just wondering what others think about the splat calculator, is it accurate?
I'm not good with maths and definitely don't know physics!

So anyway I plan on jumping (falling backwards) from a 341.21ft (104m) cliff, rocks and sand at the bottom, at high tide it would still be shallow, jumping into water isn't an option for me. I'd go do it right now but I have to travel there by bus and with lockdown I'm worried I'd be caught going out when I shouldn't be because the bus service says do not travel unless necessary.

Once I do it I am scared of bleeding out for a prolonged period and seeing my legs mangled with bones sticking out! I've heard people say "it could take 10-15 minutes to die that way"

I just want to hit the floor and die instantly. I have read that you die well before hitting the ground, apparently when falling from a 20 story building you die 6 metres before hitting the ground? I assume from a stroke or heart attack, but then I have read you will still definitely feel some of the impact.

I used the splat calculator, here are the results but are they accurate?
  • Cliff height in meters - 104.000808
  • My mass in kg - 56.5176093
My results -
  • Speed at impact: 45.15 m/s or 162.54 km/h
  • Time until impact: 4.61 s
  • Energy at impact: 57603.19 joules

162.54 km/h is 100.66213 Miles per Hour, do you think I would die before impact or die upon impact?

Does anyone know what "Energy at Impact" means? I don't understand that bit.
I'm just wondering if the calculator is accurate, I haven't considered air friction because I don't understand any of it, all I know is that I'm waiting for a calm day - today's wind is 16mph, is that calm? 4.61 seconds seems a quick way to go... or will I be bleeding out, if I'm unconscious bleeding out then that's okay with me. I heard someone else say you should jump from 2,000 ft that seems a bit excessive! How the fuck will I reach 2,000 ft, that's not realistic! Surely 341ft is enough to die.

autumnal

autumnal

Enlightened
Feb 4, 2020
I have made a post before and I know we have the jump megathread to read but I'm just wondering what others think about the splat calculator, is it accurate?

So anyway I plan on jumping (falling backwards) from a 341.21ft (104m) cliff, rocks and sand at the bottom, at high tide it would still be shallow, jumping into water isn't an option for me. I'd go do it right now but I have to travel there by bus and with lockdown I'm worried I'd be caught going out when I shouldn't be because the bus service says do not travel unless necessary.

Once I do it I am scared of bleeding out for a prolonged period and seeing my legs mangled with bones sticking out! I've heard people say "it could take 10-15 minutes to die that way"

I just want to hit the floor and die instantly. I have read that you die well before hitting the ground, apparently when falling from a 20 story building you die 6 metres before hitting the ground? I assume from a stroke or heart attack, but then I have read you will still definitely feel some of the impact.

My results -

162.54 km/h is 100.66213 Miles per Hour, do you think I would die before impact or die upon impact?

I'm just wondering if the calculator is accurate, I haven't considered air friction because I don't understand any of it, all I know is that I'm waiting for a calm day - today's wind is 16mph, is that calm? 4.61 seconds seems a quick way to go... or will I be bleeding out, if I'm unconscious bleeding out then that's okay with me. I heard someone else say you should jump from 2,000 ft that seems a bit excessive! How the fuck will I reach 2,000 ft, that's not realistic! Surely 341ft is enough to die.

Perhaps provide the link to something if you're going to ask people's opinions about it.

Reactions: Quarky00
L

Living sucks

Forced out of life before I wanted to leave
Mar 27, 2020
I'm no expert but my immediate thought is 4.61 s to impact sounds very quick. Like i feel like that's not long enough ie high enough to kill you?
. I have read that you die well before hitting the ground, apparently when falling from a 20 story building you die 6 metres before hitting the ground? I assume from a stroke or heart attack,
If this were true, stunt men would die before hitting the inflatable landing bag. And i read about a guy whose parachute didn't open and he consciously did a limp body impact hoping to survive and he did.. he didn't die before hand. How can you trust anyone who says you will die before impact when there is no one tell us they died before impact??

Last edited:
Reactions: Quarky00 and raindrops
autumnal

autumnal

Enlightened
Feb 4, 2020
Perhaps a google search finds it quick. Stop getting funny over something that doesn't matter. Be kind, always.

I'm not being unkind, I'm just referring to a basic common-sense courtesy.

raindrops

raindrops

Someday, eventually
Mar 29, 2020
I'm not being unkind, I'm just referring to a basic common-sense courtesy.
Just google it, that's basic common sense. No you're unkind, sarcastic. Awkward is how you're acting. I'm glad you found your purpose and live for this website but some of us really want to die. The last thing someone wants to see is you on their posts talking shit.

autumnal

autumnal

Enlightened
Feb 4, 2020
Deal with it. Must be autism.

iu
I would respectfully suggest you review the Rules and FAQ. Your behaviour shows disrespect to a member and would constitute insulting a member, both of which are in breach of the rules.

Last edited:
L

Living sucks

Forced out of life before I wanted to leave
Mar 27, 2020
Just google it, that's basic common sense. No you're unkind, sarcastic. Awkward is how you're acting. I'm glad you found your purpose and live for this website but some of us really want to die. The last thing someone wants to see is you on their posts talking shit.
I also, at first felt the comment was cold, and I didn't understand but now I do. I had no idea what a splat calculator was, but didn't care to look it up.. i just chose to look at your calculations. Directness can feel cold so I relate to that. I also understand your defensiveness. But don't let yourself get banned over it.

Reactions: Quarky00 and autumnal
autumnal

autumnal

Enlightened
Feb 4, 2020

Yes, I made a spelling error. Thank you for pointing it out. It would do you more good however to focus on the content of what I said about the rules, rather than just the spelling.

Yours was a genuinely interesting post and mentioned a useful resource that people (including myself) hadn't heard of before. Do you really want it to end up deleted or locked by mods simply because you made it deteriorate into a petty fight?

Quarky00

Quarky00

Enlightened
Dec 17, 2019
@Jump123 , you were simply advised while more info was added to your thread , this is overall a good contribution. I understand you don't like the tone, that is fine. Sorry if you felt criticized . But turning it into a personal dispute wouldn't be helpful :heart:

Why not focus on question at hand which was important to you ? :)

Reactions: S5E51mbB and autumnal
raindrops

raindrops

Someday, eventually
Mar 29, 2020
I also, at first felt the comment was cold, and I didn't understand but now I do. I had no idea what a splat calculator was, but didn't care to look it up.. i just chose to look at your calculations. Directness can feel cold so I relate to that. I also understand your defensiveness. But don't let yourself get banned over it.
Thanks for understanding. There's no excuse for how I act and I'm sorry, this is how I am lately, cold, nasty, overly sensitive. I get so defensive over anything and everything even when its not necessary. I don't think before I speak, only after I've said something is when I reflect and regret what I say. I take things too seriously. Don't think you're the only one @autumnal, the reason why partner left me is because of how I act, I can't keep calm. I can' take a minute to think before I speak.

• Hugs
Reactions: S5E51mbB, autumnal and Quarky00
S

S5E51mbB

2+2=5
Apr 1, 2019
I'm no expert but my immediate thought is 4.61 s to impact sounds very quick. Like i feel like that's not long enough ie high enough to kill you?

If this were true, stunt men would die before hitting the inflatable landing bag. And i read about a guy whose parachute didn't open and he consciously did a limp body impact hoping to survive and he did.. he didn't die before hand. How can you trust anyone who says you will die before impact when there is no one tell us they died before impact??
The stuntmen example is a false equivalence. The reason they won't die on impact is because the period of impact isn't instantaneous so to speak. Rather the inflated bag means the reactive force on impact is lessened and hence the stuntman isn't injured.

My results -

Yes the calculator is accurate. If you don't trust it, you can manually calculate yourself. Just use v=sqrt(2gh) and KE = mv^2/2.
Energy at impact probably refers to the kinetic energy you have at the moment of impact. Since that energy will be dissipated over a very short period of time, the impact time, a higher energy means greater chance of dying. As for air friction, that is quite irrelevant at the height you have chosen.

With that said, I can't comment on the efficacy of the method. Presumably, you should land headfirst if you can. I know I would absolutely not wish to die by jumping, but if that is your option, then so be it. I hope for your sake that it will be painless, but I am not sure. I'll have to read about it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.