chocolatebar

chocolatebar

Paragon
Jul 11, 2021
Today I was going to submit a work for a publisher, but got told that they're only accepting works from a certain age group and, of course, I'm past that age limit.

It's in these moments that we perceive the true face of the society we like in. It was like being told that I'm disposable and that if I couldn't achieve certain things back then, it's all over, because the new people are there and I belong to the trash bin.

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: Élégie, whatevs, OceanBlue and 3 others
J

Julgran

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
Today I was going to submit a work for a publisher, but got told that they're only accepting works from a certain age group and, of course, I'm past that age limit.

It's in these moments that we perceive the true face of the society we like in. It was like being told that I'm disposable and that if I couldn't achieve certain things back then, it's all over, because the new people are there and I belong to the trash bin.

This situation seems to have taken a great toll on you. What kind of work was it all about? I'm thinking that if it was some kind of writing, words aren't restricted to age, in which case you should have gotten a chance, at least, but I would need to know more in order to understand your situation.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: chocolatebar and Lost in a Dream
Marine

Marine

*~ 絶対に 全てを取り戻させてもらう ~*
Jul 5, 2020

Why the heck would a publisher discriminate based on age ? What kind of sense does that make ?

And I feel you. It's nonsensical...

• Hugs
Reactions: chocolatebar
chocolatebar

chocolatebar

Paragon
Jul 11, 2021
This situation seems to have taken a grea toll on you. What kind of work was it all about? I'm thinking that if it was some kind of writing, words aren't restricted to age, in which case you should have gotten a chance, at least, but I would need to know more in order to understand your situation.
Yes, it's a writing work. They created an announcement asking for submissions without mentioning the restriction, but when I sent them the email with the required information, they replied telling that they're publisher working with young people only, aimed at revealing new talents.

SantaTeresa

SantaTeresa

May 10, 2022
You should write that to the people constantly ranting about lifespan and time moving slowly.
I'm somewhat in the same boat, too old to get certain "privileges" and have new career paths, and too young and dependant to continue in what I'm doing.

J

Julgran

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
Yes, it's a writing work. They created an announcement asking for submissions without mentioning the restriction, but when I sent them the email with the required information, they replied telling that they're publisher working with young people only, aimed at revealing new talents.

I see! Perhaps - in a strange sort of way - their intent is righteous, since they are probably thinking that young people need to get a leg up in order to succeed. That doesn't relieve your feelings of being hurt, though, I assume.

Could you try submitting your work elsewhere?

Last edited:
S

Sakura94

empty
Nov 26, 2020
It's odd because older people are really the only ones with something to say. Good writing takes a lot of time, like years, George R. R. Martin is the meme response but Palahniuk talks about the importance of blue collar work, and George Eliot did not become a novelist until she was close to 40.
They are trying to gameify the arts by placing it within divisions. It's just the way things are going. You will have to create fake pseudonyms like many women did in years past in order to proceed.

• Love
chocolatebar

chocolatebar

Paragon
Jul 11, 2021
I see! Perhaps - in a strange sort of way - their intent is righteous, since they are probably thinking that young people need to get a leg up in order to succeed. That doesn't relieve your feelings of being hurt, though, I assume.

Could you try submitting your work elsewhere?
They could at least inform about their restrictions in their announcements. It would prevent a lot of situations lake this one.

Sure, I will try other publishers. Thank you for your concern.

What has taken me down wasn't really the "no" I received. I'm used to that. It was the implications around it. The fact that I'm considered obsolete and that my window of time to do things has closed.

J

Julgran

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
They could at least inform about their restrictions in their announcements. It would prevent a lot of situations lake this one.

Sure, I will try other publishers. Thank you for your concern.

What has taken me down wasn't really the "no" I received. I'm used to that. It was the implications around it. The fact that I'm considered obsolete and that my window of time to do things has closed.

You are completely in your right to feel this way, and I understand you.

What's the situation like surrounding the writing? Was your intention to get published in order for people to see what you have to write, or was it to get paid for it, for example?

In case it wasn't about getting paid, perhaps you could find an online community that shares your interests, in which you could share your stories.

I'm sorry I can't be of much more help to you, but I wish you good luck!

• Love
chocolatebar

chocolatebar

Paragon
Jul 11, 2021
It's odd because older people are really the only ones with something to say. Good writing takes a lot of time, like years, George R. R. Martin is the meme response but Palahniuk talks about the importance of blue collar work, and George Eliot did not become a novelist until she was close to 40.
They are trying to gameify the arts by placing it within divisions. It's just the way things are going. You will have to create fake pseudonyms like many women did in years past in order to proceed.
I agree. People are gameifying everything, assigning numbers and values to all of what makes us human. This comes with exclusion and forming of closed groups.

Job recruiting, sales, education, dating, financial investments, etc. People are assigning numbers and classes and judging things and people based on them. I can't see it moving to a non distopic future.

But who am I to talk about it? I don't meet the requirements.

J

Julgran

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
I agree. People are gameifying everything, assigning numbers and values to all of what makes us human. This comes with exclusion and forming of closed groups.

Job recruiting, sales, education, dating, financial investments, etc. People are assigning numbers and classes and judging things and people based on them. I can't see it moving to a non distopic future.

But who am I to talk about it? I don't meet the requirements.

You and I share the same world view. I think that the root cause is that our modern society has become so comfortable to the degree that no one needs to fight to survive so they make up their own rules for life and how things should be for them to accept them.

The game of numbers has replaced our common sense and sense of survival.

chocolatebar

chocolatebar

Paragon
Jul 11, 2021
You are completely in your right to feel this way, and I understand you.

What's the situation like surrounding the writing? Was your intention to get published in order for people to see what you have to write, or was it to get paid for it, for example?

In case it wasn't about getting paid, perhaps you could find an online community that shares your interests, in which you could share your stories.

I'm sorry I can't be of much more help to you, but I wish you good luck!
Thank you for your support.

It's difficult to find communities for some topics and styles, especially when it comes to long texts. I thought about posting a thing or two in here, but I'm afraid of bad people and corrupt authorities using it to track and identify me.

J

Julgran

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
Thank you for your support.

It's difficult to find communities for some topics and styles, especially when it comes to long texts. I thought about posting a thing or two in here, but I'm afraid of bad people and corrupt authorities using it to track and identify me.

Does your text include personal details, or certain andecdotes that may identify you? If not, I'm certain that there's no risk of you being tracked.

I'm sure that you have something interested to tell the world, so someone here may appreciate your work.

chocolatebar

chocolatebar

Paragon
Jul 11, 2021
Does your text include personal details, or certain andecdotes that may identify you? If not, I'm certain that there's no risk of you being tracked.

I'm sure that you have something interested to tell the world, so someone here may appreciate your work.
I was thinking about stylometry, but maybe I'm too paranoid. I think I will share something next time.

Reactions: Julgran