• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

How can we change ourselves?

• Total voters
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Just wanna give people something to mull over and discuss before I head into work today. I'm feeling flighty and sentimental again but maybe I'll go back to death-seeking later. Who knows?

Many of us have been told that we need to change ourselves. Easier said than done. What happens when we don't want to change? How do we change into someone who wants to change if we can't? It's so easy to just tell someone struggling with inner turmoil that they have to do it themselves because like how else are we supposed to help them?

And yet so much other wisdom from things like shonen anime to superhero movies keep forcing down our throats that the power of friendship can overcome any issue. Indeed it doesn't even have to be friendship alone, any bonds forged with other humans can seemingly be enough to stop even world-ending threats. It's a nice sentiment but even in reality people still seem to believe in the power of teamwork and indeed there are many many monuments to showcase the might of the indomitable human spirit.

The reason I think this is paradoxical is because what if let's say there's a really foolish and stubborn asshole (me) who can't change, not in the fundamental ways that matter. This guy has lots of friends who claim they are always willing to talk/listen/help but then when push comes to shove they always fall back on "you have to help yourself", "you have to love and respect yourself", etc. What the hell? So much for the power of friendship!

Is there any hope for someone like this who seemingly has no other mental problems and even if they did they're not worth solving? Am I missing something here?

dragonofenvy

dragonofenvy

Mage
Oct 8, 2023
Psychologists and monks claim change comes from within. Interestingly, psychology also recommends external factors to change yourself. For example, those with borderline personality disorder find that they will experience great change if they enter into a good relationship with a caring, supportive person on top of psychological treatment. Yes, I'm not talking about friends yet, but I'm going to just have my post be more about generalized support rather than friends specifically if that's okay.

Now let's drop all the dumb logical stuff I like to use since my EQ is in the gutter. Some people want to change but need support from friends, therapy, or whatever. Therapy is a weird one since often the therapist makes you more aware of yourself which makes you change. Other times it's medication that drastically improves people. Now, what if your problem is your lack of friendships? Can you "just be social" and have it work? Maybe. What if someone gives you a chance, and genuinely helps you so that you can learn social skills and take them with you?

With friends, it's not their responsibility to try to get you to change. Some people just don't have the capacity to do that. I've had someone tell me on discord that they've attempted suicide and I had 0 idea what to do in that situation or how to improve things for them despite having experience in dealing with previous people before this case. In the case of your example, that sounds like your friends either don't know what to do, and/or are having a hard time empathizing and don't want to take on the responsibility, which again, they do not have to. Though to be fair to you I think there's better ways to go about it rather than say "go help yourself."

Some people are more compassionate than others. Some people are more capable than others. Some people are so far gone like me that they can't really help people anymore, but some are also like me and try anyway.

A person in the hole can't climb out. Someone can throw them a rope, but do they have the strength to climb it? The cowardly choice is my choice :)

rosenwasser

rosenwasser

per ardua ad astra
Sep 9, 2023
Humans are social beings. In isolation, we wither and die, either literally (in case of children) or metaphorically (in isolation as an adult). I believe isolation makes us sick and that it's only possible to get better and recover with interaction (in the form of support) from other human beings.
That said, people still can't save you. They can't switch something in your head to feel differently. You have to do the work - if there realistically is any work that can be done and if you want it - to change yourself (for the better).
People pushing you away and telling you you have to work on yourself is a tactic. It's mostly a sign that they can't deal with whatever burden you are carrying but noone wants to say to a person suffering that they are overwhelmed and don't even know how to help. So they say "see a professional" or "work on yourself" or "it's going to be better" as a get free out of jail card because they don't know how to help you and they also don't really want to live through your pain.
I honestly do believe that to recover, one needs both - one has to want to get better and work on it (as we know from many people on this forum, no amount of love will stop you if you are determined to ctb) and there have to be people who see this, appreciate this and support you on the way (even though it's uncomfortable, even though it's no straight line, even though they have to empathize with you).
Our mental health systems fail miserably in providing this. No amount of medication and meditation can solve deep psychological issues.

untothedepths

untothedepths

I am falling I am fading I have lost it all
Mar 20, 2023
The last paragraph of your post stings. That's a pretty fresh wound for me for me still. I haven't been the nicest person ever. When I got older, my trauma came with me, so there was a lot of baggage I had to go through. I had been insufferable. Years passed since realizing that, I have made concerted efforts to try and work out all of my problems. I cut out all that people say is bad and incorrect, like having expectations of my friends I would have for them, ect. And yet, for me, I don't even know if I feel like I am person anymore rather than just some entity who posses painful memories. I feel subhuman. I fear every time an interaction goes bad between a friend or loved one like it's a life or death situation even though I'm trying my hardest to be the nicest, tolerant, and soft spoken person I can be. It's who I want to present to the world. It's whole I want to be. But things keep happening, I find out people hate me over things I have no knowledge of? I am confused - what is all this work for? What is this accomplishment? I've become a doormat now that people can't respect and love to use, apparently.

I know I'm probably failing to answer your question directly and I'm sorry. But this is my experience from the POV of trying to change. I'm becoming convinced it doesn't matter where I go. Everything I'm involved in withers and dies because it keeps happening. Ultimately it must be both, I guess. You have to want to change, but maybe society is also changing too, and it's hard to adapt?

sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that's just me
Sep 13, 2023
I think that the world needs to change. I think that society and capitalism are a big factor in causing depression and suicide. Once you become an adult, you become a slave to the system for the rest of your life. You have to work away 50-60 years of your life just to afford to survive. If life wasn't just about survival, then people wouldn't be so depressed and suicidal. Unfortunately, this is too idealistic and a utopia is unlikely. The reality is that the human condition is one of slavery.

Last edited:
T

The Ninth God

Feb 8, 2024
No one can change their own nature, but they can change how is expressed due to individual experiences. Those "adaptations" starts when an event altered what you think is the best way to show who you are, yet you do so subconsciously and others have no direct influence on that.

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you
Jul 1, 2020
it depends on the person and their individual circumstances.

me personally, i have zero desire to change. id be perfectly "content" with doing drugs until i kms. and yet here i am almost 24hrs since my last joint trying to live, for someone else. if it was completely left up to me without an outside influence, it wouldnt even cross my mind and i probably would have been dead years ago. but having him....i care about him more than i do myself.
i think its bs to have the blanket statement "you have to want it" because i dont, and yet still ive changed, yet still im trying.
(it is a bit complex having the constant thoughts of "kill yourself" but its for him 🤷‍♀️)

Reactions: Dr Iron Arc
druggedonsurvival

druggedonsurvival

Student
Feb 8, 2024
I don't really believe anyone can change themselves in the way they think. I don't believe in free will, it's more like our brain just reacts to our environment and the things that happen to us, and that sort of dictates who we are. We don't really have any say in that. Friends could help in theory but then again they might not, it really depends on the person you are. If you are a "stubborn asshole" as you say then I don't suspect friends would help. Either way, it's not like you chose to be that way.

When people say that change comes from within, I think they just mean that you have to want to change. But again, no one can force themselves to want something or not. It's misleading to say that as if to imply that if one simply looks within oneself then change can be induced.

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
I'm back and this has all been some pretty great stuff.

For example, those with borderline personality disorder find that they will experience great change if they enter into a good relationship with a caring, supportive person on top of psychological treatment.
If I feel like this type of relationship is the only way to save me, does this mean I might have BPD? I'm honestly kind of scared to find out if this is the case for me even if it would explain a lot.

That said, people still can't save you. They can't switch something in your head to feel differently. You have to do the work - if there realistically is any work that can be done and if you want it - to change yourself (for the better).
People pushing you away and telling you you have to work on yourself is a tactic. It's mostly a sign that they can't deal with whatever burden you are carrying but noone wants to say to a person suffering that they are overwhelmed and don't even know how to help. So they say "see a professional" or "work on yourself" or "it's going to be better" as a get free out of jail card because they don't know how to help you and they also don't really want to live through your pain.
I honestly do believe that to recover, one needs both - one has to want to get better and work on it (as we know from many people on this forum, no amount of love will stop you if you are determined to ctb) and there have to be people who see this, appreciate this and support you on the way (even though it's uncomfortable, even though it's no straight line, even though they have to empathize with you).
Our mental health systems fail miserably in providing this. No amount of medication and meditation can solve deep psychological issues.
I was afraid of this kind of answer too, because it just feels like I'm stuck. I don't want to change because I don't have anyone I want to change for and yet I still want to have someone I want to change for and yet no such person has revealed themselves. Oh there's someone I like but it seems I'm still too stubborn to lock in recovery until they decide to like me back which they probably won't especially if I don't change but even if I do there's still no guarantee it would work and then I'd probably just change back out of spite. You're right that I don't feel like medication would be of any help to me though.

The last paragraph of your post stings. That's a pretty fresh wound for me for me still. I haven't been the nicest person ever. When I got older, my trauma came with me, so there was a lot of baggage I had to go through. I had been insufferable. Years passed since realizing that, I have made concerted efforts to try and work out all of my problems. I cut out all that people say is bad and incorrect, like having expectations of my friends I would have for them, ect. And yet, for me, I don't even know if I feel like I am person anymore rather than just some entity who posses painful memories. I feel subhuman. I fear every time an interaction goes bad between a friend or loved one like it's a life or death situation even though I'm trying my hardest to be the nicest, tolerant, and soft spoken person I can be. It's who I want to present to the world. It's whole I want to be. But things keep happening, I find out people hate me over things I have no knowledge of? I am confused - what is all this work for? What is this accomplishment? I've become a doormat now that people can't respect and love to use, apparently.
I'm sorry to have cut into your wounds a bit. It sucks when the people who claim they care were only doing so because you may have initially presented yourself as easy to deal with and not a difficult person to be around. I've done the same and the only thing that's helped is knowing they don't care which means my death won't affect them as much as they think it will.

I think that the world needs to change. I think that society and capitalism are a big factor in causing depression and suicide. Once you become an adult, you become a slave to the system for the rest of your life. You have to work away 50-60 years of your life just to afford to survive. If life wasn't just about survival, then people wouldn't be so depressed and suicidal. Unfortunately, this is too idealistic and a utopia is unlikely. The reality is that the human condition is one of slavery.
In cases like mine, I don't think even abolishing capitalism or competition would really do much for me. I'll probably be even lonelier in that regard because if it weren't for capitalism I wouldn't even have met my crush. Maybe that is the problem though but I think if say tomorrow none of us had to work anymore she'd probably still leave me in the dust forever yearning and longing. Even without capitalism we'd still be slaves to our own instincts which in turn would probably end up just creating some new system that resembles capitalism anyway with people trying their best to only meet their own needs.

No one can change their own nature, but they can change how is expressed due to individual experiences. Those "adaptations" starts when an event altered what you think is the best way to show who you are, yet you do so subconsciously and others have no direct influence on that.
Are you referring to "canon events" like in the latest Spider-Verse movie? I think there is a lot that can be said about how certain life-changing events can, well, change one's life though whenever something like that does happen to me, like the panic attack I had on Monday, it doesn't make me want to be better, only worse. Is there a way to change that? How can I fix what I would rather leave unfixable? It's like I don't want to let these events change me for the better because that would be encouraging fate or whoever's in charge to just keep sending them towards me. I'd rather let tragedies ruin me in an effort to keep them from happening again if that makes sense.

it depends on the person and their individual circumstances.

me personally, i have zero desire to change. id be perfectly "content" with doing drugs until i kms. and yet here i am almost 24hrs since my last joint trying to live, for someone else. if it was completely left up to me without an outside influence, it wouldnt even cross my mind and i probably would have been dead years ago. but having him....i care about him more than i do myself.
i think its bs to have the blanket statement "you have to want it" because i dont, and yet still ive changed, yet still im trying.
(it is a bit complex having the constant thoughts of "kill yourself" but its for him 🤷‍♀️)
That's another good point is that in many ways, people change in ways they aren't even aware of or in ways they had no intention of doing. If only there was a way to unlock this power and utilize it to gain exactly what I want.

I think rather than have to put in any work or effort I'd instead want to just CTB. It seems so much easier and what point does recovery even truly have if there's no other way to guarantee that nothing even remotely bad will ever happen ever again?

When people say that change comes from within, I think they just mean that you have to want to change. But again, no one can force themselves to want something or not. It's misleading to say that as if to imply that if one simply looks within oneself then change can be induced.
What do you suggest if someone finds it impossible to want to change but still needs to even though it only happens when it's wanted and not needed?

• Informative
Reactions: sserafim
T

The Ninth God

Feb 8, 2024
Are you referring to "canon events" like in the latest Spider-Verse movie? I think there is a lot that can be said about how certain life-changing events can, well, change one's life though whenever something like that does happen to me, like the panic attack I had on Monday, it doesn't make me want to be better, only worse. Is there a way to change that? How can I fix what I would rather leave unfixable? It's like I don't want to let these events change me for the better because that would be encouraging fate or whoever's in charge to just keep sending them towards me. I'd rather let tragedies ruin me in an effort to keep them from happening again if that makes sense.
Some things cannot be changed, so they must be accepted and others can be changed, but require a strong willpower to work on them. You cannot change who you are, but you can change how your nature is expressed; life experiences let you understand what is the best way to express your true self. Your fate is already written, by yourself, because time doesn't flow and you have already made every decision throughout your existence. What you are describing is not encouraging fate, it's submission to external circumstances, which is very different. Change is not something to fear, because everything changes, soon or later. I think you should understand what you can change and what is unchangeable.

• Informative
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Some things cannot be changed, so they must be accepted and others can be changed, but require a strong willpower to work on them. You cannot change who you are, but you can change how your nature is expressed; life experiences let you understand what is the best way to express your true self. Your fate is already written, by yourself, because time doesn't flow and you have already made every decision throughout your existence. What you are describing is not encouraging fate, it's submission to external circumstances, which is very different. Change is not something to fear, because everything changes, soon or later. I think you should understand what you can change and what is unchangeable.
What if I do eventually change some stuff but the unchangeable parts just keep getting in the way? Isn't it better to just give up now then before even wasting the effort?

T

The Ninth God

Feb 8, 2024
What if I do eventually change some stuff but the unchangeable parts just keep getting in the way? Isn't it better to just give up now then before even wasting the effort?
There will always be something that gets in the way, you just need to find a way around it.

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you
Jul 1, 2020
what point does recovery even truly have if there's no other way to guarantee that nothing even remotely bad will ever happen ever again?
you cant to a degree. i mean, dont walk out in front of cars and your chances of getting hit by 1 dwindles by a factor of a lot. (in other words take care of yourself and try to not do stupid things) but for things you cant control, like if someone drove on to the sidewalk, you just have to question yourself if that risk is worth it. for me on my own, f'en hell no. i fear needles and have a back problem that could render me paralyzed, how am i suppose to live through those things if i cant do something basic let alone get a surgery. but i have him and i know he would stand with me through anything. for him its worth it.

and maybe thats just it, maybe you need something that outweighs the bad to make the risk worth it.
its that way with lots of things if not everything really. when taking medication you and a doctor have to decide if the possible side effects are worth the risk of the medication possibly helping you.

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
and maybe thats just it, maybe you need something that outweighs the bad to make the risk worth it.
its that way with lots of things if not everything really. when taking medication you and a doctor have to decide if the possible side effects are worth the risk of the medication possibly helping you.
Perhaps so. I've tried to find a partner all my life and no such person seems to exist for me. I should probably just give up because I don't feel like anyone I would like enough even deserves the agony of having to be around me. Even if such a person would help, I understand that it isn't fair for them to have to be responsible for me like that precisely because I believe I should have been able to solve these problems on my own already and yet I just won't for whatever reason. I don't believe medication will help me either and even if it could, past experience shows that I'm awful at following prescriptions. I often go months without taking medications for physical things I've been mandated imagine the chaos I'd undergo if I drop some psychiatric medications seemingly on a whim…

There will always be something that gets in the way, you just need to find a way around it.
If the thing getting in the way is that I don't want it enough then what?

• Hugs
Reactions: Life_and_Death
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you
Jul 1, 2020
Perhaps so. I've tried to find a partner all my life and no such person seems to exist for me.
thats why i said 'something'. that reason that makes it worth it is different for everyone and probably why some people advocate loving yourself. being your own reason, enjoying a hobby
, I understand that it isn't fair for them to have to be responsible for me like that precisely because I believe I should have been able to solve these problems on my own already and yet I just won't for whatever reason.
youre not wrong but at the same time, if you loved them and they were struggling wouldnt you want to be there for them to help them as much as you can even if its just to let them know theyre not alone?
I don't believe medication will help me either and even if it could, past experience shows that I'm awful at following prescriptions. I often go months without taking medications for physical things I've been mandated imagine the chaos I'd undergo if I drop some psychiatric medications seemingly on a whim…
i can completely agree with this lol. ill look at me med bottle and just....ugh...i cant
and yet I just won't for whatever reason.
it can be difficult, personally its mentally exhausting just to think about it let alone actually do it. i think thats probably my anorexia's fault though so i guess my whole thing starts with just trying to eat. is there maybe something that could be causing it you didnt think of?

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
thats why i said 'something'. that reason that makes it worth it is different for everyone and probably why some people advocate loving yourself. being your own reason, enjoying a hobby
I have hobbies but even these feel more like distractions rather than reasons to love myself.

youre not wrong but at the same time, if you loved them and they were struggling wouldnt you want to be there for them to help them as much as you can even if its just to let them know theyre not alone?
Without someone to test this on it's easy for me to say of course I would and indeed, of course I would want to be there for them but I can't shake the feeling that no one would want me to be there for them because there's not much I can do besides that…

it can be difficult, personally its mentally exhausting just to think about it let alone actually do it. i think thats probably my anorexia's fault though so i guess my whole thing starts with just trying to eat. is there maybe something that could be causing it you didnt think of?
I believe the main cause is just that I'm stubborn and probably just used to getting whatever I want all the time whether it's handed to me or I take it by force. A relationship is the one thing my body longs for that cannot (legally) be taken by force nor can it be handed to me because I'm not lucky/successful/attractive enough for that to happen and I'm also too lazy to become those those things. It's stupid and petty I know, but the fact I won't rise above this is exactly why I hate myself so much.

If you truly desire something then you'll find a way, otherwise you just let it be.
I guess we'll see. Right now I'd just rather die than put in all this effort even though dying will also require a lot of effort on my part.

• Hugs
Reactions: Life_and_Death
Abandoned Character

Abandoned Character

(he./him)
Mar 24, 2023
This guy has lots of friends who claim they are always willing to talk/listen/help but then when push comes to shove they always fall back on "you have to help yourself", "you have to love and respect yourself", etc. What the hell? So much for the power of friendship!
You have an interesting take on the matter. I am curious, what do you mean by "push comes to shove"? How is a friend supposed to aid you in your journey other than providing advice they think would help?

Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
You have an interesting take on the matter. I am curious, what do you mean by "push comes to shove"? How is a friend supposed to aid you in your journey other than providing advice they think would help?
If I knew, then I would just do it myself. That's up to them to figure out with the anime power of friendship. If they can't, it's fine. They don't have to if they don't want to.

sammiechzxv

sammiechzxv

just a girl who's kinda sad
Aug 7, 2023
Everyone needs help. But I believe your problems are also (at least usually) your responsibility, I don't go out of my way to burden others with them. Friends are just there to support, only you can change yourself.