• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
People with a legitimate need for end-of-life solutions (assisted suicide, etc.) are a 'problem' that won't go away.

People are living far longer than has ever been natural, and not everyone aspires to a slow decline in health. I also have the impression that average people are becoming poorer as the cost of basic housing becomes ever harder to achieve; this in turn gives rise to countless secondary dysfunctions (crime, violence, substandard working conditions, compromised health, drug abuse, trauma, etc.) which can all lead to suicidal ideation.

The most forward-thinking societies are already deeply engaged in debate around right-to-die laws for physically or even mentally challenged people. Each step forward multiplies the availability of euthanasia for a wider swath of the population, as well as the likelihood of less advanced societies beginning their own march towards liberal euthanasia laws.

And yet, in much of the world, authorities are still striving to conveniently hide the issue of suicide via censorship of discussion.

There is a parallel here to the LGBT community's historical struggle.

Much like other demonised minorities of the past, such as LGBT people in Alan Turing's time, the only way forward is ultimately going to be integration, acceptance and respect.

LGBT people were historically attacked on religious or pseudointellectual grounds, or defamed as scary predators.
Suicidal communities today are attacked on religious or pseudointellectual grounds, or defamed as scary predators.

Just as it is no longer widely acceptable in Western societies to attack LGBT people, at some point we will have to accept the reality of the suicidal as fellow humans, not scary little gremlins to lock up.

The media's contradictory narrative cannot sustain.

The media presents a confused mess of perspectives on this issue. Often the rule is to outright censor the topic for fear of initiating a suicide contagion. This concept has been well researched.

And yet, one day the media will invite compassion by interviewing an elderly or disabled euthanasia campaigner. They will acknowledge the complicated issues faced and perhaps include a token acknowledgement of the counterpoint perspective of fundamentalist groups, whose position is that every human should be kept alive, regardless of suffering, for as long as technology and medicine will permit.

Then, the next time, they will denounce the unequivocal evil of sources which offer suicide resources or communities which tolerate uncensored discussion on the subject. All members, they suggest, are thinly-veiled killers, shamelessly handing death on a platter to defenseless, vulnerable, depressed individuals, who just happen to be the exact same people.

Each widely publicised media attack on suicide forums brings thousands of new members. The absurdity of trying to censor something by exposing it to millions of people may be lost on these journalists. Or perhaps the clickbait factor is so irresistible that ethics goes out the window.

The complexity of the topic defies simple right-wrong narratives.

Some people are actually saved by online communities or music that gives free expression to the otherwise taboo topic of suicide, allowing them to process and overcome their feelings. Yet others may get sucked into the black hole of an echo chamber with a flippant attitude towards human life. Some suicidal people are desperately fighting to survive. Others are actively battling their own impulse to live.

Some people on suicide forums have shown predatory intentions. Yet most are among the most pure-hearted people I've seen. A bit like how Jeffrey Dahmer, a dark character, is not representative of the gay community at large. It seems to take time for humanity to learn this sort of nuance and overcome the tribal tendency to dehumanise misunderstood minority groups.

Yes, death is an emotionally-charged topic. Even more so when it involves younger people. Humans are generally drawn to simple right-wrong narratives, especially when emotions are triggered. Yet there is no simple narrative here.

What remains is a difficult topic that society has ran away from - or worse, submitted to the whims of religious fanatics - for far too long.

Quality conversations, open dialogues and mature solutions are needed. The hypocrisy of media hit pieces or the venom of pro-life vigilantes can at best delay the inevitable.

For as long as real people are left to rot with physical pain, mental illness, isolation, abuse and poverty, the fantasy of a world without suicide grows increasingly absurd. The 'solution' of censoring discussion and banning peaceful methods will work about as well as America's infamous war of drugs has. At best, useless; at worst, counterproductive.

In the end it is as simple as this: will suicide just go away? I'm afraid not.

F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
This belongs in a magazine or newspaper. So well written. So thoughtful and well argued.

It's a really interesting parallel too to compare this community to the LGTBQ community. I think it's valid too. I do think people fear it will be contagious. That we're trying to convert people to a death cult. I think my Dad sometimes sees being gay or trans as a kind of fashionable statement!

Where I would maybe have hesitation is when even people here have noticed that having a mental illness seems to be attractive to some people. I have seen claims/ annoyance (and probably rightly so,) that some people will avidly self diagnose all sorts- say- on TikTok:

Not that I see self diagnosis as entirely wrong. I imagine most things start with self diagnosis- something seems wrong or different about ourselves, so we naturally try to work out what. I've self diagnosed myself with a bunch of more minor afflictions- limerence, borderline eating disorders, mild to moderate depression (also clinically diagnosed at one stage) and a certain social anxiety. I found it did actually help me to be aware of my own patterns of behaviour.

I wonder as a society though if we are becoming kind of obsessed with mental illness in a way. It seems incredibly prevalent and weirdly attractive to some people. I wonder if all that introspection and obsession that we are different and handicaped and unable to function in this world will in fact lead to more people feeling ideation. Because, to some extent- it gives us an excuse. I can't function in this world. I have an illness. So- I won't. Plus- I'm unhappy because I can't function in this world.

But, that's a more general sense I get. In terms of this particular forum/community. I think it's unfair to blame us. People actively seek out this forum for a reason- they're already suicidal! Most people come here looking for methods I believe- so- they're actively suicidal. It's already really bad by that stage! You're not going to do deep research into how to kill yourself if you're not very seriously considering it.

But, I agree- since things like that Tantacrul video, the type of members here have changed. I still don't personally believe a site like this drives someone to suicide though. It's people's lives that make them want to escape and I agree- with how the world is, I imagine that number will only increase.