ToodleyDoKangaroo

ToodleyDoKangaroo

Jul 14, 2019
Hey All,

So I've been gone for a bit because I've been super up and down. i've been so up that I feel euphoric and invincible and then I inevitably crash and it's devastating. Now, I finally feel coherent and on somewhat of a plateau.

However, while I was down, I talked to one of my former professors and he came up with a scenario that I'm I don't really buy into, but I wanted everyone's opinions on it. We talked about the fact that although mental illness--in my case, Bipolar II--is a cruel fate, you may possibly have more good days than bad days and, therefore, it's worth going through the fewer bad days for the many more good ones.

Clearly, I disagree with this topic. First of all, someone without a mental illness can't fathom the daily struggle of not only trying to function, but trying to make it so others don't suffer along with you and the constant wondering if they'd just be better off not dealing with your suffering. So that's pain on top of pain. Then, there's the hypothetical "what if" scenario. You can't really know if the good days will be greater than the bad ones. Third, there's the exhaustion of it all. How many times can you go through the pain of mental illness--which, in my case, is consistently dealing with the "what goes up must come down" concept,--before you get tired of it all? Finally, even if you do decide to seek treatment, it may or may not work, it may or may not exhaust you finances--which will lead to more lows, and it may or may not be available at all.

What are everyone else's thoughts on this line of reasoning? And when someone says something like this to you, how do you deal with it? How do you respond?