• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
English native speakers are probably more familiar with this aphorism. I read it from David Foster Wallace and I am fascinated. I have not thought a lot about it. So my thoughts might be flawed. I use some internet sources to understand it better. But it captures something very interesting. Maybe understanding this aphorism can be helpful in recovery.

Here is a quote

"The David Foster Wallace graduation speech comes to mind when I read this quote. The message is that your mind represents your automatic, default setting, your mind does whatever it is biologically wired to do, and part of this wiring requires to be hopelessly and eternally selfish and self-centered. But there is a remedy, and it comes in the form of a liberal arts education – because it teaches you how to think."

Here other sources (not from me):

"The phrase "the mind is a good servant but a terrible master" means that the mind is a powerful tool that can be very useful when it is under control, but when it is not, it can become a source of chaos, anxiety, and negative emotions."

"In other words, when we are able to use our minds to accomplish tasks, solve problems, and achieve our goals, our minds serve us well and can be a great asset. However, when we allow our minds to control us, we can become overwhelmed by worry, fear, and negative thinking, which can lead to stress, anxiety, and other mental health issues."

-> suggestions so that you can escape your default mind settings are: mindfulness, meditation, techniques to manage stress and anxiety, psychotherapy, education
And personally I have some pathologies due to my illness and medication helped me to control them better. So that they control me less.

"One way to understand this quote is to consider the different roles of the intuitive mind and the rational mind. The intuitive mind is a sacred gift that allows us to access creativity, inspiration and intuition. The rational mind is a faithful servant that helps us to analyze, reason and solve problems. However, if we forget the value of the intuitive mind and rely only on the rational mind, we may lose touch with our true self and our deeper purpose. Conversely, if we ignore the rational mind and follow only the intuitive mind, we may act impulsively, irrationally and emotionally."

"Another way to interpret this quote is to think about the balance between emotionality and rationality. Emotionality is the ability to feel and express emotions, while rationality is the ability to think logically and objectively. Both are important for human well-being, but they can also conflict with each other. If we let our emotions dominate our thinking, we may become irrational, biased and reactive. If we suppress our emotions and rely only on logic, we may become cold, detached and insensitive."

This text is not from me but it is pretty fascinating. Honestly I feel like a thief just to copy paste it. Maybe maybe an AI helped me with it...
However I could never have come up with these elaborations due to the fact I did not know the quote for a long time.

Some thoughts of mine: I think there are several ways how this saying can help. It can help to get a distance between yourselve, your thoughts/ your brain. You do not have to believe all the things (or criticism/negativity) your mind says to you. Due to negative experiences many of us developed destructive habits and by analyzing them we can escape them (to a certain degree?). It can feel like an empowerment having the chance of escaping the feeling of being a prisoner of one's own brain. There are methods how to relieve mental distress in many cases. When we fight our weaknesses and work hard on us we have the potential to feel better in the longrun, being more content with ourselves and feeling more comfortable in our own skin. The fight can be worth it when we can look in the mirror and being proud of ourselves for what we did and what we tried.

I am not sure whether my remarks are worth anything. I am not that good at sounding inspirational. This aphorism is indeed pretty deep and all the interpretations are better than most things I would have come up with.

T

timf

Enlightened
Mar 26, 2020
In addition to physiology, thought processes can also be shaped by childhood experiences. It is possible that these mental habits can occasionally become a hindrance when reaching adulthood. Attempting the make changes in these processes can be as difficult as changing old habits for new. Not everyone is adept at taking conscious control of their thoughts. Therapy can be helpful, but may also be ineffective. In the end, the person most motivated to make corrective changes is the one who suffers the most.