dazed_dreamer

dazed_dreamer

at the end of everything, hold on to anything
Sep 21, 2023
I had a gender crisis for years, identifying as FTM (for the most part, with some confusion and back-and-forth) from when I was ~12 to ~20. This and my depression were the two things that ruined my life when I was younger. I don't know how deeply the depression was connected to the dysphoria back then, whether it was largely separate or if it wouldn't have been a thing at all without the identity confusion. I lost my old sense of identity, which was largely connected to me being a people-pleasing, high-achieving, Christian girl at my Christian school. I didn't realize until my gender crisis that my entire identity was connected to making other people happy and being what I thought they wanted to be, until this crisis brought all of that into question. The choice was to lose everything I had built and everyone I had up until that point, or lose my genuine sense of self. But I didn't realize that the former wasn't a real option; you can either be yourself, or no one at all, you can't be someone else no matter how desperately you want to be. I refused to accept this truth, held on to any lingering doubts and "hail-Marys" of it being a phase, something I would grow out of, an internet trend, even a corrosive spiritual temptation. There are many examples of this, the worst and most recent being falling back into my ED and losing almost 100 pounds in 6 months through a daily restrict-binge-purge cycle because maybe I only wanted to be a man because I was fat and ugly as a girl, and I'd be okay in my body if I lost the weight and dressed the part—I knew this was a lie going in, but I tried it anyway, because it was the only other explanation I had left. By going for the false option, I ended up losing both my internal sense of self and external community and identity over the years.

If it weren't for the pandemic, I most likely would have come out as transgender to m family when I was 17 or 18, around early fall of 2020. My mental health was improving through the my junior year, and a large part of that was reckoning with my gender crisis and the dysphoria I experienced at that time. I feel so detached from that now. The thought of being a man seems like a joke. But I have to wonder if I am genuinely over it, or if it's actually because of my detachment from myself. I don't "feel like a woman", I don't feel okay and present in my body, I haven't gained a confidence in myself and a happy-enough life beyond that period of crisis: I just don't feel like a person at all. I've experienced some level of dissociation for a while, but it's gotten so much worse recently, and I've realized that my dismissal of my trans identity and lack of dysphoria coincides with the worsening of my detachment. I wonder now if that's the problem, if I would feel like somebody if I had accepted that version of myself, if it was true. Or if it's just a fantasy, and I would be just as miserable or even worse off in a semi-male body, living a man's life.

It feels too late to do anything now, I'm too far gone at this point, I just wanted to get this out there. There's a lot more I could add if anyone's interested. Thank you for this space to vent.

• Hugs
Reactions: Sannti
livinginsorrow

livinginsorrow

warzone
Oct 26, 2023
i don't know much about gender identity as someone who hasn't struggled with it but i'm so sorry you have. it sounds really heartbreaking to go through this daily struggle. i'm here if you need to vent more and hope that you can be your true self, no matter what others think. i know many people who are both MTF, FTM, non binary etc. so there is a large community out there who i'm sure have similar experiences to you. i really hope you find peace with yourself and am sending love your way <3