L

LunaNyx_

Existing. For some reason.
May 29, 2022
It doesn't. Life never gets better.

Worse is, they're so annoying with it too. I'm sick of it. My life has never gotten any better.

They piss me the fuck off.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: idkcherries, SilentSuicidal, JJJ and 46 others
O

outrider567

Visionary
Apr 5, 2022
It doesn't. Life never gets better.

Worse is, they're so annoying with it too. I'm sick of it. My life has never gotten any better.

They piss me the fuck off.
Yep, been almost 6 months now, but just had another breakdown this morning while in the car in an area we used to go to all the time--nothing is getting better

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Huntfish34, Mary5689, NasiGoreng and 4 others
AloneInCollege

AloneInCollege

The one and only
Mar 7, 2022
I've heard that a lot, it used to not really anger me more just annoy me. I know most people are saying it from a place of genuineness. But looking back, it just angers me know. It gets better for them because they dealt with problems that could be solved and they've literally never felt the way I have. People who aren't suicidal, from my experience, just can not understand what it's like to genuinely hate yourself and want to die.

• Hugs
Reactions: idkcherries, ncmxm, Huntfish34 and 19 others
Foresight

Foresight

Enlightened
Jun 14, 2019
It's such a harmful catchphrase. It's dismissive of current suffering and of long-term adult mental health problems. They tell teens it gets better. When they hit 25-40 years old and it just got worse then what? Did they do something wrong because 'it" was supposed to get better?

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: idkcherries, ncmxm, Huntfish34 and 27 others
M

memoriesoflight

Jul 11, 2022
The missing part for those whose problems are more internalized than environmental is that it can get better, but trying to figure out how is nearly impossible without guidance, which often doesn't exist. I tried to get help many times when I was younger - a time where "it gets better" didn't exist - and the combination of useless doctors and parents meant that I made as much progress as if I didn't try at all, when I really probably just needed therapy. Nothing I've seen in the last 20 years would have helped guide me toward that in the face of the zero insight and support I was given.

If it helps some people, good. That's more than previous generations have gotten. But universally helpful mental health initiatives still don't really exist, which is shameful.

• Love
Reactions: fell, Ilayis, StolenLife and 8 others
tser1073

tser1073

Jul 7, 2022
The missing part for those whose problems are more internalized than environmental is that it can get better, but trying to figure out how is nearly impossible without guidance, which often doesn't exist. I tried to get help many times when I was younger - a time where "it gets better" didn't exist - and the combination of useless doctors and parents meant that I made as much progress as if I didn't try at all, when I really probably just needed therapy. Nothing I've seen in the last 20 years would have helped guide me toward that in the face of the zero insight and support I was given.

If it helps some people, good. That's more than previous generations have gotten. But universally helpful mental health initiatives still don't really exist, which is shameful.
Right? It doesn't get better. If you're very, very lucky, your ability to potentially make it better improves hut many people aren't given that chance.

• Hugs
Reactions: dinkyjester, Huntfish34, Ilayis and 5 others
Sasel

Sasel

I'm not here
Jul 1, 2022
It gets better.

• Yay!
Reactions: Archness, self.destractive, Sittichmutter and 1 other person
S

summers

Visionary
Nov 4, 2020
No, really it can get better. You can win the lottery and shit would be fucking awesome. Of course there's like a 1 in 300 million chance of that happening.

But other than that, we're fucked. It's getting to the point, at least in the us, that you're basically poor if you're not making 6 figures.

And yes, some people are really talented athletes or musicians. But again, chances of that are incredibly slim.

• Hugs
Reactions: Laivirt, tiredangelgirl, Huntfish34 and 8 others
O

obafgkm

Experienced
Jun 3, 2022
It's a good idea to give losers hope, keep them alive, so they do what you tell them to, then you earn your money, and they remain losers.

• Informative
Reactions: yufei, StolenLife, ithappens and 4 others
Foresight

Foresight

Enlightened
Jun 14, 2019
Conformists can wait I do prefer take action by myself
I do act for my betterment. My mental illness still got worse, not better. Getting better is often outside of our control.

• Hugs
Reactions: Huntfish34, Élégie, ithappens and 6 others
This_sux ✓

This_sux ✓

Forever alone
Aug 6, 2020
Conformists can wait I do prefer take action by myself
Interesting. If I could do something to change my life for better I would do it already. But I can't, it's impossible for me.

• Hugs
  • Informative
Reactions: Élégie, NasiGoreng, LastFlowers and 2 others
M

Musketeer

Student
Jan 24, 2020
My modified slogan is I hope it gets better. I really do, for me not so much but i do hope everyone's life gets better. I'm living with a medical condition that causes me severs pain, it will never get better, some people live with conditions that could be treatable and possibly even curable, and it may get better for them. I also hope it does get better for them. We must accept that not everyone will get better, and them ending their suffering is their right.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: tiredangelgirl, Huntfish34, Why Me? and 7 others
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
It is best to just take no notice of people who say things like that. They have no evidence that things will actually improve. I think that many people do not want to face the fact that things will not get better for everyone as it would shatter their delusion that life is always worth living. Toxic positivity and false hope are harmful as it just leads to more suffering when that false hope is taken away. Of course it is better to be realistic and see life for what it really is. Suicide should be seen as a rational option to end suffering, not something that is always wrong and must be prevented.

• Hugs
Reactions: tiredangelgirl, Archness, Élégie and 7 others

7206LL3D

Jul 11, 2022
Nothing is certain. It might get better or it might not. Each of us has to evaluate the odds and determine whether to take the risk of sticking around. I don't buy the idea that it's always worth trying. Maybe that's the most rational choice for the vast majority of people who feel unhappy. For some of us, though, the chances of things improving are vanishingly small.

• Hugs
Reactions: ncmxm, LifeCanBeCruel, Huntfish34 and 8 others
Floofy Clouds

Floofy Clouds

Jul 10, 2022
''It gets better'' is in the same category as other thoughtless/idiotic bits of shite like ''why are you so quiet?''.

Things might get better. But then again, they might get a whole lot worse. Nobody knows. And your crappy lil' titbit ain't helping no-one.

Still, at least it's a time saver - you know you're in the presence of an idiot and you can move along.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Archness, Huntfish34, DeepEscape and 9 others
Rd2nowhere

Rd2nowhere

Silly Tulip is a color.
Jun 16, 2022
Rainbows and unicorns everyone! Does it get better? Can I make it better? Is there something that I can do differently?

• Hugs
Reactions: Archness, Huntfish34, Ilayis and 2 others
Againstthewind

Againstthewind

Victory
Jul 10, 2022
It's just a cheap way to not care, and dismiss you because YOU'RE bringing THEM down, I guess it gets better for some people, just wish it would for those that suffer on a daily basis.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: ncmxm, Huntfish34, Why Me? and 9 others
Onasis

Onasis

Jul 10, 2022
People can't grasp that life is shit for some people. Not everyone lives a happy life. Some people on Earth will suffer until the day they die.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: ncmxm, Huntfish34, Why Me? and 10 others
Sittichmutter

Sittichmutter

Student
Sep 16, 2021
Maybe saying "everyting passes" is more truthfull. Because everything is always changing. Bad moments passes, as well as good ones.

• Hugs
Reactions: Regen, Huntfish34, Ilayis and 3 others
nosurpries

nosurpries

Jul 3, 2022
for some people i think they "get better" because they have a specific type of depression/anxiety. the socially acceptable kind, they get burnt out at work at age 20 something and then go on lexapro and start therapy and they're all fixed now yay! they think their experience is universal, they think that it must be that people who aren't getting better just aren't trying enough or getting "help" like they did. when in reality, things don't get better for people like me. planning yout suicide since age 12 is not the same kind of mentall illness, it's something deeper, less treatable. there is no help for people like me. i'm starting to think that the will to live is something that you are unable to gain, you just have to have it.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: sorrowful, movinout17, ncmxm and 13 others
L

LunaNyx_

Existing. For some reason.
May 29, 2022
for some people i think they "get better" because they have a specific type of depression/anxiety. the socially acceptable kind, they get burnt out at work at age 20 something and then go on lexapro and start therapy and they're all fixed now yay! they think their experience is universal, they think that it must be that people who aren't getting better just aren't trying enough or getting "help" like they did. when in reality, things don't get better for people like me. planning yout suicide since age 12 is not the same kind of mentall illness, it's something deeper, less treatable. there is no help for people like me. i'm starting to think that the will to live is something that you are unable to gain, you just have to have it.
Coming from someone whos been wanting and planning to die since 9, and is now 22? Yeah. I get that.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: KuriGohan&Kamehameha, StolenLife, Élégie and 2 others
DetachedDreamer97

DetachedDreamer97

Enlightened
Mar 17, 2018
I may agree on that... though the last part, I now find that debatable.

Most circumstances or when it comes to that, you won't gain it, at least when you're doing the standard approach... However, for some of us, if we're built in a certain way, there is probably a way... But it's not in a way one would expect, or society would find acceptable: through suicide.

Depending on your cause, and whether you know it or not, or what you truly desire, the method may in fact work for you.

Basically, you just need to have a method at hand. Not just any method. But a perfect one, and try to build it yourself. Do it in a series of upgrades and in a way, your life may start improving.

Of course, you may also just die.

In a nutshell, what I'm suggesting is to rather than trying to end your anguish, dive in deep to the point you're pass the point of wanting to die. When you cross that line, you may find yourself going through a series of self improvement until you finally obtain your "happy meal flag".

It's a paradoxical and dangerous solution, but... I think for a lot of us, taking a direct approach seems to only put us a step back. So, why don't we try working backwards towards our goal?

View attachment I won't lose..mp3

S

Snatsbats

Student
Jan 9, 2021
I just dont like this world, i dont like how nature operates. I dont like the competition. I dont like shallow and materialistic human nature. Love doesnt exist because people will always look for better nowadays. These things wont change becausr thats just what nature is, so my problems will never be fixed. Sure i could cope, but i would never be happy. For me life is just not worth living. I just dont like life.

• Love
Reactions: movinout17, Archness, Amber1974!! and 14 others
L

Ligottian

Elementalist
Dec 19, 2021
On a related note are people who tell you that you just need to have a positive attitude. As if we can just think our way out of our private hells, whatever they may be. Bastards.

• Love
Reactions: ncmxm, Élégie, spaceshiplover and 3 others
K

keitaro

uwu
Jul 10, 2022
when i was a teenager, the "it gets better phrase" gave me hope, but now i see what a lie it was. pain is always inevitable. if only i had known of a peaceful ctb method sooner.

Reactions: ncmxm, Ilayis, StolenLife and 3 others
tilsleepcomes

tilsleepcomes

Willing to try anything.
Jul 23, 2021
It assumes we haven't exhausted our options to try to improve things, that there is something left to try.

If we've tried everything, then what basis is there for the assertion that it will get better?

I'm no dummy. Ive tried to improve things. There is no reason to think it will get better.

Reactions: SamTam33, Ilayis, KuriGohan&Kamehameha and 2 others
Suicidebydeath

Suicidebydeath

No chances to be happy - dead inside
Nov 25, 2021
Just give sympathy and support instead of saying that, if at all possible.

Reactions: Élégie, KuriGohan&Kamehameha, Euthanza and 2 others