N

NotWhatIExpected

Jan 27, 2020
Plus understandably creep people out

It would be easier to avoid the creepiness aspect of it in a car vs. a van but that's also way harder to live in

The funny thing is it seems like the appearance of the vehicle you use makes a ton of difference

I've seen some vans that essentially look like scaled-down RVs and I feel like people would be way more comfortable with that

If you could get a phone with unlimited data your boredom is over

For me the uncertainty of any moment of the lifestyle would be the worst though, whether from the law or from (other) vagrants or from pissed locals

It wouldn't be so bad if you had some quality suicide method with you at all times (yikes if something happens to it, though--how long does Nembutal last without being refrigerated? A gun might cause problems but if I could get one I would ideally--otherwise I'd just take the SN, after buying a lot more first, and hopefully the debreather if it comes, although I could see that getting fucked up and I could pretty much never open the box.)

The gym idea is probably pretty good that people throw out, somewhere to shower, although being outed as being homeless seems nerve-wracking. And if you have to move where you parked your car you're pretty much anchored into that gym area

Parking fees would fuck it up though, but probably more importantly you'd have to keep your driver's license and registration up to date, and idk what would happen with car insurance, I assume I wouldn't have any. So every time you'd drive you'd take a risk, and if you ever needed your car repaired, you're pretty much screwed because you have nowhere to sleep if that takes a few days

Obviously gas can be super expensive if you're going far distances so you kind of have to drive sparingly, and you'd probably only have so many trips in you.

There are places in the US you can get a seemingly very-livable apartment for $400 a month, so that would probably be my best bet--in some ways more so than a trailer park I think (and I did not grow up in a region with many of those so I'm not super familiar with how they work)

I feel like it would be a lot harder just to mind your own business in a trailer park and have nobody bother you

I'd be cool with living in a car in-and-of-itself, or at least I would be for a while, but there are just so many variables where I probably could never let my guard down and enjoy being free of most obligations. I'd probably just be on edge

I kind of wish I had somewhere else to share this besides this website because I don't entirely trust it, but still
I could work for x amount of years, save up a good amount of money (I have one good but decently uncertain prospect)--could even be like 5 or 6 years which would set me up for life if I lived super frugally which I already planned to (or like 20-40 years which is basically life for me)

Although, inflation (which I probably couldn't fight very well with many bank accounts I'd probably get) or higher rents might screw me

I'd just be afraid of being in a situation where I suddenly lose access to painless suicide methods and thus have to endure the worst of life (or the threat of it)

And I can't even talk to my family bluntly about eventually needing to die because that could really get them in trouble (even if it wouldn't psychologically scar them)

The worst thing for me would be to get them to accept the idea of me keeping open a painless means of suicide if I ever need it, and one day I do it, but then there's a huge societal crackdown on painless suicide methods and they understand the sense of being trapped at the notion, like I often am when faced with it

Last edited:
Grandexit

Grandexit

Experienced
Dec 4, 2019
There are TONS of u tubers who talk candidly about the hardships of van life. Weather, safety, the monotony of driving everyday, the cramped conditions, lack of sanitation, costs in setting up a van for living, difficulties in day-to-day life. The only guy I saw that it really worked for was a guy who had a box truck and worked at google. They have showers, parking and a full cafeteria for employees. He just slept in his truck and his work place provided everything else. Also, many of those van life u tubers have parents or someone they use as a home base for mail, a permanent address and other things. Isn't end stage capitalism fun?

Reactions: autumnal and ForensicallyAware
N

NotWhatIExpected

Jan 27, 2020
There are TONS of u tubers who talk candidly about the hardships of van life. Weather, safety, the monotony of driving everyday, the cramped conditions, lack of sanitation, costs in setting up a van for living, difficulties in day-to-day life. The only guy I saw that it really worked for was a guy who had a box truck and worked at google. They have showers, parking and a full cafeteria for employees. He just slept in his truck and his work place provided everything else. Also, many of those van life u tubers have parents or someone they use as a home base for mail, a permanent address and other things. Isn't end stage capitalism fun?
I don't like saying end stage capitalism because that implies that this state of affairs is going to end anytime soon
I don't like saying end stage capitalism because that implies that this state of affairs is going to end anytime soon
I hate it though because in many ways I could still try a lot more economically to make it, but the risk of becoming homeless or going to prison or something and being blocked off from a painless method for the rest of my life potentially-- just makes me want to give up now before it gets to a situation I actually can't escape from

I don't want to totally let my guard down and surrender to the peaceful end of dying though, only to get found

Like to open myself up to hurt again

I could never really say goodbye to my loved ones

Leaving a note runs the risk of me being caught and leaving one at the scene runs the risk of cops or someone scrutinizing it and there being repercussions because of that

Last edited:
Apathy79

Apathy79

Arcanist
Oct 13, 2019
It's great that living in a van was the part of this movie that inspired suicidal ideas!

N

NotWhatIExpected

Jan 27, 2020
It's great that living in a van was the part of this movie that inspired suicidal ideas!
What do you mean?

The idea of living in a van and existing the way you wanted to exist actually gave me hope, although I don't think it's practical in my situation

Apathy79

Apathy79

Arcanist
Oct 13, 2019
What do you mean?

The idea of living in a van and existing the way you wanted to exist actually gave me hope, although I don't think it's practical in my situation
Oh I see. My post was more a joke about watching this dude on super high vertical walls without a rope for the whole movie, then using the part about living in his van for inspiration! I read the parts of your post about suicide methods without really taking in what you were saying. Never mind me.