• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

Aponia & Ataraxia

Aponia & Ataraxia

Experienced
Jun 24, 2018
"Don't think of death as an ending. Think of it as a really effective way of cutting down your expenses." --Woody Allen

"Every existing thing is born without reason, ̶p̶r̶o̶l̶o̶n̶g̶s̶ ̶i̶t̶s̶e̶l̶f̶ ̶o̶u̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶w̶e̶a̶k̶n̶e̶s̶s̶ , and dies b̶y̶ ̶c̶h̶a̶n̶c̶e̶ ." --Jean-Paul Sartre

"Happily dreaming childhood, exultant youth, ̶t̶o̶i̶l̶-̶f̶i̶l̶l̶e̶d̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶m̶a̶n̶h̶o̶o̶d̶ , i̶n̶f̶i̶r̶m̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶o̶f̶t̶e̶n̶ ̶w̶r̶e̶t̶c̶h̶e̶d̶ ̶o̶l̶d̶ ̶a̶g̶e̶ , t̶h̶e̶ ̶t̶o̶r̶m̶e̶n̶t̶ ̶o̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶i̶l̶l̶n̶e̶s̶s̶ , and finally ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶r̶o̶e̶s̶ ̶o̶f̶ death." --Arthur Schopenhauer

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age." --H.P. Lovecraft

"The arrow of time is an arrow of increasing correlations." --Seth Lloyd

"Personally, I would not care for immortality in the least. There is nothing better than oblivion, since in oblivion there is no wish unfulfilled. We had it before we were born yet did not complain. Shall we whine because we know it will return? It is Elysium enough for me, at any rate." --H.P. Lovecraft

"The moral decline we are compelled to witness and the suffering it engenders are so oppressive that one cannot ignore them even for a moment. No matter how deeply one immerses oneself in work, a haunting feeling of inescapable tragedy persists. Still, there are moments when one feels free from one's own identification with human limitations and inadequacies. At such moments, one imagines that one stands on some spot of a small planet, gazing in amazement at the cold yet profoundly moving beauty of the eternal, the unfathomable: life and death flow into one, and there is neither evolution nor destiny; only being." --Albert Einstein

"Everything is determined, the beginning as well as the end, by forces over which we have no control. It is determined for the insect, as well as for the star. Human beings, vegetables, or cosmic dust, we all dance to a mysterious tune, intoned in the distance by an invisible piper." --Albert Einstein

"All that is real is real in a moment, which is a succession of moments. Anything that is true is true of the present moment. Not only is time real, but everything that is real is situated in time. Nothing exists timelessly." --Lee Smolin

"...Nothing, some physicist implied, might be the ultimate symmetry, everywhere, everywhen the same... Mostly we knew what nothing was not. It was not anything. But it was the possibility of everything. And perhaps such beauty, nothing, was unstable. And the result was every once in an eternity it twitched." --Dennis Overbye

Scenario A | Scenario B
DEATH: (0) | (0)
MODE: painful (-1) | painless/peaceful/pleasant/enjoyable (+1)
= -1 (bad) | +1 (good)

:sunglasses::blarg::kiss::zzz:

Reactions: Tiburcio