• New TOR Mirror: suicidffbey666ur5gspccbcw2zc7yoat34wbybqa3boei6bysflbvqd.onion

• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020

I read the article in German a certain newspaper translated it. Originally it was published in the Washington Post. Personally I believe in climate change. However I like to listen to contrarian takes. But there is always the danger of false balance. Especially with the fossile fuel companies that invest millions or even billions to spread doubts/ fake news on climate change.

My first own doubts came when I listened to an interview with Anton Zeilinger. He won the physics noble prize 2022. He is not the one who questions climate crisis. But in this certain interview he said something like: Noone can predict the future what will be in like 30 or 50 years. And everyone who pretends otherwise lies. This is at least my memory of the quote maybe it is distorted. The dude sounded insanely intelligent and destroyed the clip which should introduce the audience to his work. He is also catholic which fueled my anxiety about a revengeful God. However I still posted the "Is God pro-death?" thread yesterday.
The climate change denier is called John Clauser who also won the physics noble Prize 2022 together with Zeilinger.

Here are some interesting parts of the article: I am scared of copyright infringement so I did not copy everything. There were many parts that I skipped where they emphasized that many serious climate scientists completely reject his halfknowledge. But these parts were not the meat of the story. (Lol):

The event showcased the remarkable shift that Clauser, 80, has undergone since winning one of the world's most prestigious awards for his groundbreaking experiments with light particles in the 1970s. His recent denial of global warming has alarmed top climate scientists, who warn that he is using his stature to mislead the public about a planetary emergency.
Clauser, who has a booming voice and white hair he often leaves uncombed, has brushed off these concerns. He contends that skepticism is a key part of the scientific process.
"There was overwhelming consensus that what I was doing was pointless" in the '70s, he said in an interview after the news conference. "It took 50 years for my work to win the prize. That's how long it takes for opinions to change."

"Great news! There is no climate crisis!"
"Much as it may upset many people, my message is the planet is not in peril," Clauser told an audience of about a dozen people in the hotel conference room and others watching online. "I call myself a climate denier," he added. "I've been told that's not politically correct. So I guess I'm a climate crisis d-word person."
Clauser bragged that he met privately with President Biden in the Oval Office last year, when the 2022 Nobel Prize winners were invited to the White House. He said he criticized Biden's climate and energy policies, to which he said the president replied: "Sounds like right-wing science."

Clauser, who has never published a peer-reviewed paper on climate change, has homed in on one message in particular: The Earth's temperature is primarily determined by cloud cover, not carbon dioxide emissions from burning fossil fuels. He has concluded that clouds have a net cooling effect on the planet, so there is no climate crisis.
Michael Mann, a professor of earth science at the University of Pennsylvania, said this argument is "pure garbage" and "pseudoscience."

But Anton Zeilinger, an Austrian physicist who shared the Nobel Prize with Clauser last year, said in an interview that he has "very high respect" for his scientific rigor, although he cautioned that he is not an expert on climate science.

"Einstein, when he proposed his ideas, was considered crazy and an outsider," said Zeilinger, a professor of physics emeritus at the University of Vienna. "It has happened in science that the majority was dead wrong. I have no idea if that is the case here, but science has to be open to debate."

"There is a skeptical streak in the physics community regarding climate science," Nadir Jeevanjee, a research physical scientist at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, wrote in a recent critique of Koonin's book.
In an interview, Jeevanjee said that while climate science is based in physics, not all physicists are experts in climate science. But that hasn't stopped some distinguished physicists from portraying themselves as experts and sowing doubt, he said.

Some physicists who reject the scientific consensus on climate change have received funding from fossil fuel companies.

Clauser said he does not receive any money from oil, gas and coal interests.

OP again. So these were the parts I wanted to highlight. I still think climate change is very real and a very serious danger. But I am not 100% sure anymore. The article was a very interesting read. Maybe I am contributing to something very seriously bad with posting this thread. (due to the fact I might fuel climate denialism.) But as a frequent poster on SaSu one has to live with such allegations anyway. (to contribute to something very seriously bad lol).

Last edited:
Reactions: Forever Sleep
Silent Raindrops

Silent Raindrops

The Darkness Awaits Me
Feb 3, 2024
But.... But....

Greta Thunberg says it is, so it must be true!!

Attachments

• 510ynQwuu7L._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg
    510ynQwuu7L._AC_UF894,1000_QL80_.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 0
B

BlessedBeTheFlame

All things are nothing to me
Feb 2, 2024

I study mathematics and can tell you almost all scientific fields are comprised of many islands, which have little contact with each other. It's so extreme, that at some point two mathematicians realized how similar their own results are and created a new field of math to tie these coincidences together, called category theory.

In general, high scientists tend to overestimate their expertise in fields, that they aren't experts in. Quantum mechanics and climate science have relatively little overlap. And excuse my french, but his arguments aren't fucking convincing. Even if you discount CO2, cloud cover is not the only factor in climate. The angle of the earth is what creates seasons for one and many ice ages were caused by cycles in the earths orbit. A favorite among climate change deniers is to forget the suns strength itself plays a factor, thereby making wrong conclusions off of past CO2 levels. This is about the most he musters for an argument, the rest is just "Hurr, I'm a visionairy and politically incorrect, you know", which is nothing remotely close to a scientific study.

In short, I wouldn't count this as anything remotely noteworthy.

DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023

I read the article in German a certain newspaper translated it. Originally it was published in the Washington Post. Personally I believe in climate change. However I like to listen to contrarian takes. But there is always the danger of false balance. Especially with the fossile fuel companies that invest millions or even billions to spread doubts/ fake news on climate change.

My first own doubts came when I listened to an interview with Anton Zeilinger. He won the physics noble prize 2022. He is not the one who questions climate crisis. But in this certain interview he said something like: Noone can predict the future what will be in like 30 or 50 years. And everyone who pretends otherwise lies. This is at least my memory of the quote maybe it is distorted. The dude sounded insanely intelligent and destroyed the clip which should introduce the audience to his work. He is also catholic which fueled my anxiety about a revengeful God. However I still posted the "Is God pro-death?" thread yesterday.
The climate change denier is called John Clauser who also won the physics noble Prize 2022 together with Zeilinger.

Here are some interesting parts of the article: I am scared of copyright infringement so I did not copy everything. There were many parts that I skipped where they emphasized that many serious climate scientists completely reject his halfknowledge. But these parts were not the meat of the story. (Lol):

The event showcased the remarkable shift that Clauser, 80, has undergone since winning one of the world's most prestigious awards for his groundbreaking experiments with light particles in the 1970s. His recent denial of global warming has alarmed top climate scientists, who warn that he is using his stature to mislead the public about a planetary emergency.
Clauser, who has a booming voice and white hair he often leaves uncombed, has brushed off these concerns. He contends that skepticism is a key part of the scientific process.
"There was overwhelming consensus that what I was doing was pointless" in the '70s, he said in an interview after the news conference. "It took 50 years for my work to win the prize. That's how long it takes for opinions to change."

"Much as it may upset many people, my message is the planet is not in peril," Clauser told an audience of about a dozen people in the hotel conference room and others watching online. "I call myself a climate denier," he added. "I've been told that's not politically correct. So I guess I'm a climate crisis d-word person."
Clauser bragged that he met privately with President Biden in the Oval Office last year, when the 2022 Nobel Prize winners were invited to the White House. He said he criticized Biden's climate and energy policies, to which he said the president replied: "Sounds like right-wing science."

Clauser, who has never published a peer-reviewed paper on climate change, has homed in on one message in particular: The Earth's temperature is primarily determined by cloud cover, not carbon dioxide emissions from burning fossil fuels. He has concluded that clouds have a net cooling effect on the planet, so there is no climate crisis.
Michael Mann, a professor of earth science at the University of Pennsylvania, said this argument is "pure garbage" and "pseudoscience."

But Anton Zeilinger, an Austrian physicist who shared the Nobel Prize with Clauser last year, said in an interview that he has "very high respect" for his scientific rigor, although he cautioned that he is not an expert on climate science.

"Einstein, when he proposed his ideas, was considered crazy and an outsider," said Zeilinger, a professor of physics emeritus at the University of Vienna. "It has happened in science that the majority was dead wrong. I have no idea if that is the case here, but science has to be open to debate."

"There is a skeptical streak in the physics community regarding climate science," Nadir Jeevanjee, a research physical scientist at the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, wrote in a recent critique of Koonin's book.
In an interview, Jeevanjee said that while climate science is based in physics, not all physicists are experts in climate science. But that hasn't stopped some distinguished physicists from portraying themselves as experts and sowing doubt, he said.

Some physicists who reject the scientific consensus on climate change have received funding from fossil fuel companies.

OP again. So these were the parts I wanted to highlight. I still think climate change is very real and a very serious danger. But I am not 100% sure anymore. The article was a very interesting read. Maybe I am contributing to something very seriously bad with posting this thread. (due to the fact I might fuel climate denialism.) But as a frequent poster on SaSu one has to live with such allegations anyway. (to contribute to something very seriously bad lol).
>> Quantum mechanics and climate science have relatively little overlap...

Correct!

>> Even if you discount CO2, cloud cover is not the only factor in climate. The angle of the earth is what creates seasons for one and many ice ages were caused by cycles in the earths orbit.

Correct, but the effect of cloud coverage is thought to be the biggest uncertainty in the best current climate models.

>> A favorite among climate change deniers is to forget the suns strength itself plays a factor, thereby making wrong conclusions off of past CO2 levels.

In the very, very, very long term, yes the sun's strength is the key factor – it will boil our oceans and cook the planet in around a billion years (unless we move the earth outward, or find some other fix).

In the short term, the sun seems pretty constant in terms of its optical output. The main short-term variability in the sun has been in how strongly its magnetic field deflects cosmic rays (which affects cloudiness).

In the medium-term, we do not know because we do not have accurate measurements of the sun's power for even a few centuries ago (we can rule out huge changes, but not yet changes of a few percent, by looking at other stars in the main sequence).

• Informative
Reactions: noname223
DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023

Regarding ice ages, we would probably be starting one now if it were not for farming having added carbon dioxide and methane to the Earth's atmosphere for a few thousand years.
The climate models probably slightly overestimate the effect of CO2 by underestimating the rebounding from the little Ice Age, but the low-end of the models is probably not far off.

There is some evidence for solar cycles impacting the climate on Mars, but most of the climate change over the past hundred years has been human caused. There is some evidence that without farming clearing forests and rice paddies emitting methane (starting a few thousand years ago) we would be entering a new Ice Age by now.

The direct warming effect of carbon dioxide is well known (first calculated in the late 1800s), so no credible study is going to find no human contribution to warming.
There is, however, great uncertainty about the amplification effects of the feedback loops, most of which appear to be positive, but some are negative, and I have read of, but have not read myself, arguments for a wide range of overall amplification (1x to ~ 3x the direct effect).

We're still having idiotic climate change debates. Even if climate science is somewhat junkified, we should still be taking climate super seriously because we don't know what we're doing. Its such a complicated non-linear system. We're not even capable of focusing, two seconds later people will be watching the Kardashians.

DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023
Sea level is complex – as the ice melts from Greenland, the lack of gravitational attraction from a huge mass of ice means that sea level will actually fall up to 200 feet nearby! Norway would be influenced by this to a lesser extent, but it could be more than the current rise in sea levels from warming and melting ice…
Adding a few tens of cm of water does increase the pressure on all ocean bottoms. The continents do rise slowly to compensate, but that's over thousands of years.

DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023

Does the (general) release of geothermal heat/energy effect the movement of clouds? (Not referring to volcanos; just heat emanating to the surface from magma and the core): Geothermal energy is on the order of 1/20 of 1% of the average sunlight, so it should not have much effect. Although a comparable amount of ultraviolet energy in the stratosphere does influence the movement of air below it, that is partly because there's not much other energy up there.

The climate models probably slightly overestimate the effect of CO2 by underestimating the rebounding from the little Ice Age, but the low-end of the models is probably not far off.

There is some evidence for solar cycles impacting the climate on Mars, but most of the climate change over the past hundred years has been human caused. There is some evidence that without farming clearing forests and rice paddies emitting methane (starting a few thousand years ago) we would be entering a new Ice Age by now

Last edited:
Linda

Linda

Jul 30, 2020
Climate change is real. It's happening now. And it's very dangerous. That's from someone who understands the topic (my first degree was in theoretical physics, and I did my PhD studying the world's use of energy) and who also worked for 20 years for one of the big oil companies. The oil majors knew back in the late 1970s that CO2 in the atmosphere was likely to be a concern. (I was there. I know.) By 1997 a few of them were even acknowledging it publicly. In 1997, in a speech at Stanford University, the CEO of British Petroleum, John Browne, was explicit about the link between human emissions of CO and rising temperatures. See https://www.climatefiles.com/bp/bp-climate-change-speech-to-stanford/

The scientist you quote is talking (mostly) nonsense. The time for scepticism is long since past: we now know, beyond any shadow of a doubt, that climate change is happening and that we are the cause. Although we can not predict the future course of events in detail, we know enough to be certain that climate change will create major problems for humanity. (My own view is that those problems might be serious enough to destroy our industrial civilization and send us all back to a pre-industrial world. That's not a certainty, but the risk is there. I would put the odds of it happening at about 50/50).

DarkRange55

DarkRange55

Enlightened
Oct 15, 2023
Temperature driving CO2 and CO2 driving temperature are not mutually exclusive – there are many positive feedback loops, and also some negative feedback loops.

In the short term, positive feedback loops seem to outweigh the negative loops, so higher temperatures drive changes that increase CO2 (and methane) and decrease albedo, which in turn drive further temperature increases.

However, in the longer term negative feedback loops seem to dominate, with higher temperatures causing increased erosion on land (the increased weathering sequesters CO2 as carbonates), and more carbon is subducted at ocean subduction zones and is sequestered for thousands to millions of years.

F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I'm no expert but I know just from the limited experience of my lifetime, we seem to be getting a lot more severe weather warnings and 'natural' disasters. I can't believe the two are unrelated.

Even if they aren't though- it's common sense surely- you don't shit in your own bed! It's dumb to poison your own water supply! Either way, I'd say it would be a good thing to reduce pollution and try to reduce consuming every natural resource we can get our grubby little mitts on, making untold numbers of other inhabitants of this earth homeless in the process. Do we actually need projected scientific data to realise it's not a great idea to go on as we are? We know from history what pollution and over consumption does.

Reactions: noname223
G

G50

Jun 28, 2023
It's not uncommon for Nobel Prize winners to go off the rails. The genius in their younger years can turn to madness later in life.

A

Argo

Specialist
May 19, 2018
I don't think it even matters if the climate crisis is real or not, natural or manmade, conspiracy or not. You could have a genie tell you the answers to those things now and nothing would change for you. The thing that matters is the fact that the belief exists, and that it will be a narrative(whether true or not, notice how completely irrelevant it is to the consequences on earth), used by the powerful to shape reality in ways that are favorable for them. There's really very little room to doubt that will happen.

So why even be interested in whether or not climate change is real when the effects of it will be used for massive geo/social engineering by people with global influence and a global agenda?