Incorrigible77777

I was born human and I'm sorry for that. ——太宰 治
Jul 9, 2020
What do you think? I wish to have one.

GrumpyFrog

GrumpyFrog

Exhausted
Aug 23, 2020
Sounds nice, but major depression is considered curable, and in many cases can be treated, so it's unlikely to happen.

Incorrigible77777

Incorrigible77777

I was born human and I'm sorry for that. ——太宰 治
Jul 9, 2020
Sounds nice, but major depression is considered curable, and in many cases can be treated, so it's unlikely to happen.
When major depression develops into a very late stage like me, it's no longer curable.

Reactions: Cowtipper and Ren Elsie Jewelria
dysfunctional

dysfunctional

Arcanist
Oct 26, 2018
I'm right there with you, but it's a legal thing. You have to have a physical disease like cancer, brain tumor etc.

GrumpyFrog

GrumpyFrog

Exhausted
Aug 23, 2020
When major depression develops into a very late stage like me, it's no longer curable.
While I fully understand that sometimes the typical treatment doesn't help and I fully support the thought that the depressed person deserves the care you're describing, sadly official medicine does not recognize depression as a disease that can be incurable or terminal. You will be provided terminal care if you are depressed and also have an underlying physical health condition, but that's about it. Treatment-resistant depression is officially recognized, yet doctors will keep suggesting to give it a little more time, eat well, exercise, meditate and all that load of s...elf-care advice, basically telling you that if you're "good" eventually depression will go away. I can't really claim that treatment-resistant depression really does eventually go away for most people, neither can I claim the opposite, because either way I don't really have proof.

Reactions: esse_est_percipi
catscradle

catscradle

Now I will destroy the whole world
Jul 10, 2020
I dunno, I'm going on 15 years of depression as well as another incurable mental illness. it would be more compassionate and cheaper to give me end of life care instead of taking meds and therapy for the rest of my life

Reactions: Cowtipper and Leshen
alizee

alizee

Arcanist
Jul 22, 2018
OP it depends on who you speak to in the medical community. A lot of healthcare practitioners have opinions that contradict with one another when it comes to severe depression. In any case you would need a doctor willing to argue your case isn't curable and possibly go to court if denied insurance coverage for what you're seeking. Very hard to do for a person requiring terminal care because most with money to do the foregoing just pay out of pocket. Nevertheless you could call organizations that try to progress patient rights or healthcare for certain illnesses and voice your circumstances. I doubt much will come from it but that's really what needs to be done to gather support. More people requesting it until people think it's seriously desired on good grounds.