Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
It might be because a lot of them romanticize the past, but it seems like things came to them easily - as if all their struggles were because of circumstances, not personal failures.

Maybe all the nervous fuckups like us died early?

Idk. Maybe it's just the old people I've talked to, but they make me wonder how tf I can't do anything right. What do you mean you had tons of friends and fell in love at 19? I can't even get a self-described friend to text me back much less a date.

Then, of course, the really old are often suffering physically and losing their minds, but that's a whole 'nother issue.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: avoid_slow_death, demuic, OrcWitch and 5 others
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I find talking to old people depressing too, mostly because I do not want to live that long. Many elderly relatives have done well in life which could explain how they have survived this long and have mostly good health. It is my worst nightmare being old with awful diseases though. The human life expectancy is too long in my opinion.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: LADY007, WhatDoesTheFoxSay? and ihatemylife
T

tardis

Sep 7, 2019
No things are demonstrably worse for young people than for previous generations. Lower interest rates. Higher cost of living relative to income and productivity, etc.

Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?
C

Computer Blue

Jan 19, 2021
It might be because a lot of them romanticize the past, but it seems like things came to them easily - as if all their struggles were because of circumstances, not personal failures.

Maybe all the nervous fuckups like us died early?

Idk. Maybe it's just the old people I've talked to, but they make me wonder how tf I can't do anything right. What do you mean you had tons of friends and fell in love at 19? I can't even get a self-described friend to text me back much less a date.

Then, of course, the really old are often suffering physically and losing their minds, but that's a whole 'nother issue.
Wow, you raise a fascinating question here. Perhaps people were much more social back then while we mainly sit in front of the television. Now you have me wondering if I am an introvert because of circumstances rather than my nature.

Reactions: demuic, Susannah, MellowAvenue and 1 other person
Alwaysbadtime

Alwaysbadtime

Enlightened
Jun 28, 2021
Just looking at old people is depressing and fills me with anger. The ones I see out and about look good...with washed cars and full grocery carts. Really old people sick at home with helpers I feel empathy, but also jealousy. Getting old takes a lot of money...and it's better with emotional support. I'm super pissed because I know it's not going to work out. Seeing them in huge motorhomes everyday on the road is a top trigger.

motel rooms

motel rooms

Survivor of incest. Gay. Please don't PM me.
Apr 13, 2021
Most (at least 3/4 of) people are either boring & brainwashed or nasty assholes or both, age has nothing to do with it. There are thoughtful, witty & stimulating individuals in all age groups, but they're in the minority. I'd rather have a conversation with a 75-year-old who reads books & is capable of critical thinking than with a dumb 30-year-old, unless he's willing to be quiet while I fuck him & go away immediately after I cum

• Hugs
Reactions: Un- and avoid_slow_death
Judah

Judah

Enlightened
Oct 1, 2020
My grandfather is a good example of broken dreams and disappointments, so talking to him can be depressing.

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: LADY007 and avoid_slow_death
motel rooms

motel rooms

Apr 13, 2021
it seems like things came to them easily - as if all their struggles were because of circumstances, not personal failures.

Well, it's no secret that all societies were a lot less individualistic & materialistic 60 years ago, that job insecurity wasn't as big an issue, that everyone worked fewer hours per week, that multitasking wasn't a thing & that people didn't use each other for sex, break up & get divorced as frequently as they do these days

Reactions: WhatDoesTheFoxSay?, avoid_slow_death and Celerity
Geturdone

Geturdone

Getting old ain't for sissies
Dec 9, 2021
I'm 72 and generally not given to depression .... But, I'm seriously depressed after reading this thread. I'm also wondering what planet some of you are from and also wondering why children are posting on the SS site. WOW !!!

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: rationalis, Susannah and avoid_slow_death
motel rooms

motel rooms

Apr 13, 2021
I'm 72 and generally not given to depression .... But, I'm seriously depressed after reading this thread. I'm also wondering what planet some of you are from and also wondering why children are posting on the SS site. WOW !!!
I'm not prejudiced against all elderly people :halo:

Reactions: Susannah and avoid_slow_death
avoid_slow_death

avoid_slow_death

Ready to embrace the peaceful bliss of the void.
Feb 4, 2020
That's a pretty presumptuous statement there. I have known PLENTY of "old people" who had brutal and miserable lives.

Susannah

Susannah

Mage
Jul 2, 2018
Old people have different personalities too. I meet all kinds in my work. Some have wonderful stories to tell. I find many older people knowledgeable if you take your time talking to them. They feel sorry for the newer generation, the pressure young people experience. All the choices we have. The flow of information constantly making our lives noisy.

Some elderly are depressing to talk to. Mainly those with huge regrets in life. They turn bitter and boring.

• Love
Reactions: avoid_slow_death
S

summers

Visionary
Nov 4, 2020
The most depressing thing is looking at an old person who used to be beautiful, healthy, and strong. I pity them, like why are you still alive? Luckily, I'll have a terminal case of lead poisoning to take care of me ever being pitied.

Sherri

Sherri

Archangel
Sep 28, 2020
Not all old, my nana is 88, drives her own car, very funny, not boring. All strangers talk to her and are surprised how independent and caring she is. The other day we went to a coffeeshop together and she goes there so often that most girls leave the counter and give her a hug, they don't even care about the virus, my nana has more energy than me.

• Love
Reactions: Susannah and avoid_slow_death
steviewonder

steviewonder

Sexually Challenged
Nov 9, 2020
I tried helping an old guy keep his shopping bag on his scooter once as it was falling off. The old twat shouted at me telling me to leave it lol

• Yay!
Reactions: Angst Filled Fuck Up
Snake of Eden

Snake of Eden

“Ye shall be as gods..🍎 🐍”
Jun 22, 2021
The most depressing thing is looking at an old person who used to be beautiful, healthy, and strong. I pity them, like why are you still alive? Luckily, I'll have a terminal case of lead poisoning to take care of me ever being pitied.
They shouldnt be pitied. They already had their good lives that any of us can only dream of.

Reactions: Susannah
Un-

Un-

I'm a failure. An absolute waste. A LOSEr.
Apr 6, 2021
Old people depress me in a different way. I find it horrifically saddening that a good portion of the elderly have no friends. They've all died, moved on, and so on.. And if its difficult making friends in youth nowadays, imagine how terrible it must be for them... Seldom get visits from family, and are forgotten. Or die suddenly, with no warning other than their body slowly giving up on them... fearing the loss of movement and autonomy.. placed in retirement homes.. loss of dignity, and an inability to really do anything about it. Wrote off as delusional... gibberish.. stupid from younger people..
What value do memories and a prior good life have when this is how you're living now?

• Love
Reactions: Susannah and Geturdone
Geturdone

Geturdone

Getting old ain't for sissies
Dec 9, 2021
Old people depress me in a different way. I find it horrifically saddening that a good portion of the elderly have no friends. They've all died, moved on, and so on.. And if its difficult making friends in youth nowadays, imagine how terrible it must be for them... Seldom get visits from family, and are forgotten. Or die suddenly, with no warning other than their body slowly giving up on them... fearing the loss of movement and autonomy.. placed in retirement homes.. loss of dignity, and an inability to really do anything about it. Wrote off as delusional... gibberish.. stupid from younger people..
What value do memories and a prior good life have when this is how you're living now?
Un-, all of the things you mention do take place and my heart breaks for those who find themselves alone and suffering for whatever reason. I'm so very thankful for what I have but it's taken a lifetime of work. I'm retired now which is GREAT, I'm secure both physically and financially. I have a wonderful family and not all of my friends have died although many have. I have a great education and my mind is impaired by only a little bit of memory loss. I still have most of my hair lol and the only gray is around my chin because I wear a full beard. My point??? Most folks, looking from outside, would see a wonderful life. Some, close friends, might have some knowledge of what's happening with me. Family? They know the pain I've suffered my entire life. I'm here just like everyone else and I'm willing to give up an otherwise great life to end the pain. Getting old ain't for sissies lol. Best wishes to you. You seem to have a gentle soul so I'm going to follow you. Impress me please. Pax.

Reactions: Un-
S

summers

Visionary
Nov 4, 2020
They shouldnt be pitied. They already had their good lives that any of us can only dream of.
Maybe, maybe not. I think most are dead, but imagine a Holocaust survivor. Don't think their lives were all good.

But I pity them the same way I would pity someone with a terminal, non-curable disease who wants to live to the last minute rather than ending things when they aren't so bad.

R

rationalis

Student
Nov 25, 2021
Is it mostly Americans that pity old people? Because old age does not necessitate being infirm and delusional. Some people are healthy to the end.

I feel bad for people who have never held a job or lived alone. Seems a common story here.

S

summers

Visionary
Nov 4, 2020
Is it mostly Americans that pity old people? Because old age does not necessitate being infirm and delusional. Some people are healthy to the end.

I feel bad for people who have never held a job or lived alone. Seems a common story here.
I pity the non-delusional ones the most. They realize they are just left to wither away, all alone.

maakies

maakies

DOOK
Dec 7, 2021
You aren't talking to enough old people.
One of my favorite teachers in high school was an old man who never married, never had children, and lived with his brother. He lost a lot of weight and deadpan said to the class, "If I ever get fat again, I swear, I'll just kill myself." I talked to him about drugs and Timothy Leary a lot.

Reactions: rationalis
S

subj

Student
Dec 16, 2021
Being old myself let me try to say something that I hope is pertinen. first about me. I have thought of suicide for many years since I was 13, and am now 78. My mind Is good, I still work and I exercise. I've wanted to die often and am now here as it seems safe and suicide is more interesting aas I age and will decline. I kept going rather than take my life out of varied obligations including raising a family but never fels worthwhile or deserving. I guess working and obligtion helped me not suicide. As to other old people there are certainly many uninformed 'know it alls who have stopped thinking or reading and want you to live in the past with them. In my work also I have met many who have been through horrendous losses , pain , disappointments. Many holkocaust survivors, veteranns of horrific war, etc. Many very smart and creative ones are still alive. So I guess its beest not to generalize but don't be afraid to talk with ones you meet or even seek them out. Ignore the dumb or demented and admire, learn from and just enjoy the others. Sorry for the rant.

Reactions: Snake of Eden