F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I've just been reading an older thread about intelligence. The OP in that thread was arguing how difficult it is to succeed in life with low IQ:

Other members were pointing out that- they didn't come across as dumb. Their writing was good, grammatically correct even. And their arguments concise and clear. They didn't seem to struggle to reason or express how they felt.

I think maybe we tend to take for granted the things we can do. As soon as we can do them, or if they come easily to us- then, they're no longer special qualities in a way- to be valued or grateful for. Maybe that goes the same for all levels of ability. Maybe people who are incredibly good at something don't necessarily feel 'gifted' or grateful. Plus, I think we are geared up to strive for things. If we achieve something, we'll then want something more.

I think there can be a lot of resentment towards successful people. I'm guilty of that too. I feel massively envious of some people. Sometimes it's this idea that they got all the luck, all the breaks in life.

Still, there are still likely going to be people out there worse off than us- who feel envious of opportunities or traits that we got. Do we feel lucky, blessed or grateful for those things? Maybe to an extent but I don't think anyone likes to be told they got it easy in life- especially when they feel like they didn't.

What do you think? Do you feel grateful or blessed for the things you did get in life or, has it been one big long curse? I used to think- if I was either successful or interesting enough to write an autobiography, I'd want to steal that brilliant title: 'A Series of Uunfortunate Events.' Not entirely true to be fair- it hasn't been all bad.

Reactions: Praestat_Mori, Lostandlooking and alienfreak
W

wCvML2

Nov 15, 2021
Very grateful for what I had thus far, that's partially (not the main reason) why I'm suicidal - I got used to a certain baseline of comfort. My suicidality is somewhat fueled from fear of the future so gratitude of current blessings doesn't reduce suicidal thoughts because when I think of my blessings it brings up fear of losing them. For example, my parents let me stay in their house rent free which is very privileged but obviously it's all temporary and they'll eventually get old and die, and that scares me a lot. Every current "blessing" is another thing to worry about its eventual loss, that's why I'm so scared of putting effort into anything - I don't want to gain something just to lose it afterward. I don't want to be born to then die.

• Love
Reactions: Forever Sleep and Lostandlooking
L

lamargue

sleepwalker
Jun 5, 2024
there are many things that i take for granted, yet it still doesn't negate my problems now. having said that, the problem that i had with some people in the thread you linked is that they went out of their way to try to placate OP's dissatisfaction but saying "well, high IQ people also suffer!" which is almost equivalent to telling the lower/middle-class as an ultrarich individual "well, the rich suffer too, money isn't that important!"

Reactions: Forever Sleep and Lostandlooking