RainAndSadness

RainAndSadness

Administrator
Jun 12, 2018
The first Swiss prison inmate ended their life with the help of the assisted suicide organisation Exit on February 28. And that's another step towards the right to die as a fundamental human right, at least in Switzerland.

Some quotes from the article.

Swissinfo said:
According to the Thursday edition of the Wochenzeitung newspaper, an inmate of Bostadel prison in canton Zug died with the help of the assisted suicide organisation on February 28; the suicide assistance was reportedly performed away from the prison facility.

Swissinfo said:
According to Zurich's justice department, euthanasia cannot be denied simply because a person has been sentenced or is serving their sentence behind bars.

Wochenzeitung reported that the Swiss Competence Centre for the Execution of Criminal Penalties had drawn up a document which states that internees have in principle the right to assisted suicide with the help of a third party. However, the agreement of the relevant justice authority is necessary in all cases before such a suicide can be performed.

That confirms once again that in Switzerland we consider the right to die a very fundamental human right, which cannot be denied even to people who are serving their time in prison. It also means we treat Swiss prisoners with some degree of dignity and respect, something that's not very common in the rest of the world. I'm pretty sure if this happened anywhere else, the public would react in protest and outrage but honestly, if you think about it, serving a long time in prison, possibly your entire life without the possibility of parole - which means you give up your freedom and the perspective to ever live a decent life outside of prison ever again, is one of the most rational reasons to end your life prematurely. Philip Nitscke brought up a situation like this as an example of a rational suicide in this BBC interview years ago.

And in my opinion, this just proves once again that Switzerland is the pinnacle of the right to die movement. I'm not aware of any other country where this would be possible and I don't think any other country would give this idea the slightest consideration but this just proves how unique the Swiss legislation is around assisted suicide.This can't be replicated anywhere else, at least not yet. And there has been a public debate whetever it's morally justifable to let prisoners end their life in Switzerland, for example these article picked up this controversial topic some time ago but that's why I knew it's only a matter of time until it's gonna happen. And it finally did, so for me that's not really a surprise.

There is even a scientific article exploring the ethical question whetever it's okay if prisoners are allowed to end their life from a Swiss perspective.

This just shows, the situation in most countries doesn't have to be the status quo. It doesn't need to be like this. Suicide or the decision to end your own life on your own terms (with the help of a third party), doesn't need to be a taboo - in fact it can be a basic right with enough activism and Switzerland is a good example for that. And it's possible to change the public perceiption around assisted suicide, we just need to hammer down the argument that we come from a position of empathy and compassion - not the ones who want to prolong the suffering and therefore infringe on the individual autonomy of consenting adults. They've simply hijacked the conversation and we need to take back control of the narrative around this discussion and lay out the arguments in favor of the right to die because it's very clear to me that our arguments will prevail in the long run. It doesn't seem like that given the legal situation in most countries out there that but our position is the(!) common sense position and if you frame the conversation from this angle, you will get a majority behind this topic - without a doubt, even in countries that are hostile towards the idea of the right to die as an extension of our individual autonomy. I'm pretty sure about that.

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Informative
Reactions: Hanno, resolutory, Passersby and 15 others
LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
What happened in Canada was so devastating to me, even though not being Canadian I couldn't have availed myself of it. This very month at least some people who genuinely and understandably wanted an end to their suffering could have had that.

Last edited:
Reactions: Rogue Proxy, HybridSpectre, CentreMid and 3 others
Sulyya

Sulyya

Synergist
Mar 6, 2023
They've simply hijacked the conversation and we need to take back control of the narrative around this discussion and lay out the arguments in favor of the right to die because it's very clear to me that our arguments will prevail in the long run.

Been mentally trying to lay out the arguments for a little while but might start writing them down. Wishing well to that prisoner - that is what state of being where the right to die seems urgent even more than the general public likely. That and war are basically the closest to objective hell on earth.

I'll start following this news more closely now, just heard a bit about Canada starting up some programs for terminal people but even that has enormous pushback.

Reactions: HybridSpectre and RainAndSadness
ksp

ksp

Arcanist
Oct 1, 2022
And that's another step towards the right to die as a fundamental human right
one step at the time, and every step is extremely important !

it's possible to change the public perceiption around assisted suicide
i get a feeling that most adults agree that individual autonomy is a basic fundamental right (and that includes the right to die); the main problem still remains with old indoctrinated politicians (and when they get replaced by open-minted younger ones that have common sense, like in canada)

our position is the(!) common sense position and if you frame the conversation from this angle, you will get a majority behind this topic - without a doubt, even in countries that are hostile towards the idea of the right to die as an extension of our individual autonomy. I'm pretty sure about that.
very well said! (i'm hoping and hardly waiting for this)

thank you for providing this info!

Reactions: archiemex and RainAndSadness
CentreMid

CentreMid

Sorry
Aug 23, 2018
What happened in Canada was so devastating to me, even though not being Canadian I couldn't have availed myself of it. This very month at least some people who genuinely and understandably wanted an end to their suffering could have had that.
Canadian here. I agree, I think it's a very sad time for us. I was planning on looking into MAID (Medical Assistance In Dying) had the laws worked in my (and so many others') favour. Unfortunately I will have to continue to resort to risky methods or saving up to travel somewhere where it's legal for me to die that way. Not happy :(

archiemex

archiemex

Feb 14, 2023
what happened in canada???

CentreMid

CentreMid

Sorry
Aug 23, 2018
what happened in canada???
There was supposed to be a change in the law surrounding MAID which WOULD HAVE allowed people with mental illnesses to partake in the euthenasia process but unfortunately it didn't go through so many people with mental illnesses are still suffering as a result of this inaction. Sad times. I was hoping to look into it myself had it worked out

Edited for clarity

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: Rogue Proxy, Midnight-rain, RainAndSadness and 1 other person