D

delayedcactus

Nov 27, 2023
I came across this article recently and I think it's pretty remarkable how someone is able to survive a 91% methemoglobin level when levels above 70% are usually fatal. Just goes to show if the body doesn't want to quit, it won't.

Anyway, just curious what others make of this article. Any guesses as to what biological factors make this patient unique? I don't think they divulge those details unfortunately. All that's stated is that she had no health conditions prior to the attempt.

Yes, this is for pesticide poisoning but the resulting medical condition is the same as with SN.

D

Deleted member 65988

No, that doesn't mean that the body won't just "quit". 91% Met-hb levels are really, really lethal, what saved the patient in the case can be isolated down to several reasons, some of which weren't divulged in the medical article you've presented. Chances are that the patients body had a greater natural mechanism to reduce methemoglobin back to hemoglobin, which involves the enzyme methemoglobin reductase, its the same as a case of someone taking 60g of sn but not ctbing, there are reasons for why this happens, reaching 91% of Met-hb is really rare since even levels past 60 have been fatal. Anyway, this article has been discussed before already on this forum much like others so you'll find em.

D

delayedcactus

Nov 27, 2023
No, that doesn't mean that the body won't just "quit". 91% Met-hb levels are really, really lethal, what saved the patient in the case can be isolated down to several reasons, some of which weren't divulged in the medical article you've presented. Chances are that the patients body had a greater natural mechanism to reduce methemoglobin back to hemoglobin, which involves the enzyme methemoglobin reductase, its the same as a case of someone taking 60g of sn but not ctbing, there are reasons for why this happens, reaching 91% of Met-hb is really rare since even levels past 60 have been fatal. Anyway, this article has been discussed before already on this forum much like others so you'll find em.
I see - I know you said this is rare but strange health things have been known to happen in my life and this is one place where I cannot take that risk. I wish there was some way to know if you're part of that 1% that has magical fairy genes lol.

D

Deleted member 65988

I see - I know you said this is rare but strange health things have been known to happen in my life and this is one place where I cannot take that risk. I wish there was some way to know if you're part of that 1% that has magical fairy genes lol.
Fine, if that's how you feel then so be it.

Having read enough about Methemoglobinemia and how articles raise the alarm of how deadly it is, I'm fairly certain most cases don't even reach the upper levels of 80%+ Met-hb levels.