• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

P

Pravesh

Student
Oct 19, 2020
what? no way//// how did that happen and how are u not affected? no big wounds or brain damage? this is my preffered method when i get a gun. il buy a handgun and aim side of my head

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

🚫Safety is a figment of the imagination🚫
Jul 1, 2020
not if it hits the brain for the majority of the impact it has like 82 percent success rate comapred to other suicide methods, i was thinking what about the heart.
82% yeah that's way too low for liking plus I was referring to what people expect. Most would expect it to work and considering they expect it to work then they would expect it to be higher then 82% meaning that, it's surprisingly easy to fail

Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Always was, is, and always shall be.
Jun 22, 2020
In gunshot suicide death is from blood loss. Apparently he didn't lose enough blood to die.

• Love
Reactions: sadworld
Good4Nothing

Good4Nothing

Unlovable
May 8, 2020
Yah, I need a link or something. No way someone lived for 14 days without a head.

Reactions: Nymph
S

Symbiote

Global Mod
Oct 12, 2020
I heard a story where a guy shot himself in the head, but used the wrong caliber of bullet and the bullet just ricocheted around his cranium, finally exiting out of his cheek.

E

Endeavour

Mage
Dec 13, 2020
Didn't the guy who shot himself with a shotgun recently start moving around with his head basically a big mangled mass of blood and gore? I've never wanted to see it, it's too gory for me, but I accidentally saw a bit on 4chan and it looked like he was moving around afterwards.

Must have been horrendous.

Stolen Absolution

Stolen Absolution

Sep 4, 2020
I heard a story where a guy shot himself in the head, but used the wrong caliber of bullet and the bullet just ricocheted around his cranium, finally exiting out of his cheek.

Yep. I personally know someone who shot themselves in the head only for the bullet to ricochet around and exit from his eye. He lost his eye and part of his face. He's been living with it for many years now.

His attempt was years after his brother (my brother-in-law) committed suicide by shooting himself in the head.

• Aww..
Reactions: voyager
awfullife

awfullife

Arcanist
Nov 16, 2019
Dont be the person who got a C- in History of Rock n Roll.

Firearm method can fail. Even though intra oral technique is gross to me, it is the only way.

awfullife

awfullife

Arcanist
Nov 16, 2019
Yep. I personally know someone who shot themselves in the head only for the bullet to ricochet around and exit from his eye. He lost his eye and part of his face. He's been living with it for many years now.

His attempt was years after his brother (my brother-in-law) committed suicide by shooting himself in the head.

That is a very difficult situation. How does the individual that survived CTB make a living ? I wonder where they live.

justpeachy

justpeachy

I’m haunted by the bottle & death on my breath.
Sep 6, 2020
what? no way//// how did that happen and how are u not affected? no big wounds or brain damage? this is my preffered method when i get a gun. il buy a handgun and aim side of my head
That's how people fail. They use a small caliber and just aim at side of their head. You need to know exactly where to aim. Temple is not accurate and makes you more likely to fail. You need to hit your brain stem or certain areas of your brain. I am in the mental health field and also worked in the emergency room as a social worker and I have seen many many many suicides with guns and I have seen many fail with smaller calibers or misplaced weapon.

Manford

Manford

Student
Dec 7, 2020
not if it hits the brain for the majority of the impact it has like 82 percent success rate comapred to other suicide methods, i was thinking what about the heart.
Even if it hits the brain it's possible to survive. I saw something in the news a few yrs ago where a guy killed his wife then shot himself in the head with a shotgun. He survived but half of his body is paralyzed from severe damage to 1 of the hemispheres.

And there are these people:https://www.grunge.com/32897/people-amazingly-survived-gunshot-head/

Last edited:
P

Pravesh

Student
Oct 19, 2020
liking plus I was referring to what people exp
I don't think OP was talking about himself! :pfff:
That's how people fail. They use a small caliber and just aim at side of their head. You need to know exactly where to aim. Temple is not accurate and makes you more likely to fail. You need to hit your brain stem or certain areas of your brain. I am in the mental health field and also worked in the emergency room as a social worker and I have seen many many many suicides with guns and I have seen many fail with smaller calibers or misplaced weapon.

Looks like there's a link he forgot to add to the post, maybe a news story?
how is it being a Social Worker? it seems like a very noble career that helps people.
Even if it hits the brain it's possible to survive. I saw something in the news a few yrs ago where a guy killed his wife then shot himself in the head with a shotgun. He survived but half of his body is paralyzed from severe damage to 1 of the hemispheres.

And there are these people:https://www.grunge.com/32897/people-amazingly-survived-gunshot-head/

fuck that but think of it this way : we are bound to die and if we live long enough disease like cancer or other things will cripple us anyway or old age will make us invalid and even if we live long there is always risk of a bad death or suffering .

justpeachy

justpeachy

Sep 6, 2020
how is it being a Social Worker? it seems like a very noble career that helps people.

fuck that but think of it this way : we are bound to die and if we live long enough disease like cancer or other things will cripple us anyway or old age will make us invalid and even if we live long there is always risk of a bad death or suffering .
It's good and bad. There's a lot of really great things I love about my job. I work in crisis mostly and ironically deal with the same things but that also helps me be much more understanding and sympathetic to my clients or patients.

Also when you said no big wounds, you would be surprised unless you use a shotgun or a large caliber there really isn't much in terms of big wounds depending where they aim. As I said I worked in the emergency department so I have seen many completed suicides via gun and many unsuccessful and most of the handgun cases there was very little external damage. Maybe a small hole on both sides of their head assuming it went through and some bleeding from nose/mouth. It's not super gruesome though unless a shotgun or large caliber is used. The exit is typically bigger than the entrance but the hospital cleans them up especially if the person is brain dead and family will be saying goodbyes.

Last edited:
P

Pravesh

Student
Oct 19, 2020
It's good and bad. There's a lot of really great things I love about my job. I work in crisis mostly and ironically deal with the same things but that also helps me be much more understanding and sympathetic to my clients or patients.

Also when you said no big wounds, you would be surprised unless you use a shotgun or a large caliber there really isn't much in terms of big wounds depending where they aim. As I said I worked in the emergency department so I have seen many completed suicides via gun and many unsuccessful and most of the handgun cases there was very little external damage. Maybe a small hole on both sides of their head assuming it went through and some bleeding from nose/mouth. It's not super gruesome though unless a shotgun or large caliber is used. The exit is typically bigger than the entrance but the hospital cleans them up especially if the person is brain dead and family will be saying goodbyes.
so u will commit suicide but help suicidal people, doesnt that feel a bit hypocritical? im in no way criticizing you because i want to be a counsellor for suicidal and depressed people myself but i feel like a hypocrite knowing i am may end up suiciding myself one day.

justpeachy

justpeachy

Sep 6, 2020
so u will commit suicide but help suicidal people, doesnt that feel a bit hypocritical? im in no way criticizing you because i want to be a counsellor for suicidal and depressed people myself but i feel like a hypocrite knowing i am may end up suiciding myself one day.
I don't know that I will. I have days where that's all I want to do, and then I have days where I couldn't possibly go through with it. Honestly, on those days it has nothing to really do with my job it's 100% to do with my husband and daughter. I love my career path but I am not working atm which is hard for me since I have worked everyday since I graduated from grad school in 2015. But we just moved to another state and I am still dealing with getting my licensure situated which has been a nightmare. Before moving here I loved my job, I did evaluations on people for a crisis team that was mobile so I would go anywhere the patient was, their home, jails, hospitals, the side of the road, the woods, their therapists office, to complete an evaluation to determine if they needed to be sectioned. I worked in a state where you can be sectioned for mental health or drug abuse if it can be proven you are a danger to self/others with an active plan, means to complete said plan, and basically I would have to prove that if I left you that you would be dead within 12-24 hours without a doubt as legally you have to prove imminent risk. We would get therapists calling all the damn time for ppl that were refusing medical treatments and they wanted the person sectioned.... yeah no. Ethically not only is that not fucking okay but legally it's not either. You have the right to deny treatment even if it means you will die ASSUMING you are a mentally competent adult (not intellectually delayed/impaired). We also would get therapists or GPs that would call bc their client said they were suicidal, okay and? That isn't a reason in most states to section someone. You have to be able to prove IMMINENT risk, so I would always ask them do you think if this person isn't taken and given treatment against their will that within a few hours they will without a doubt be dead? 99.9% said no. I definitely got into it many times with therapists/GPs bc I would refuse to section someone as it was ethically not okay to me and legally it was not okay to the courts who were my boss. If I fucked up, I answered to a judge not my boss. Defense attorneys would eat you alive if you came to court with a weak ass case legally for sectioning. Most states don't do it this way though I have discovered in most states any doctor, police officer, or therapist can section you which is dangerous as hell imo. They are NOT trained. Yes, even therapists. We get hardly any crisis training in school and if you are working as a therapist or social worker unless you work in the ED or on a crisis team you have little to no experience and should not be making a choice to lock someone up against their will. Anyway, I explained it so detailed and long as I know ppl will have something to say about my job and me being here. ‍Shrugs. Can't please everyone and all of us should know that mental illness effects every population from USA to Timbuktu. NOBODY is immune. Same with drug addiction.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: demuic
P

Pravesh

Student
Oct 19, 2020
I don't know that I will. I have days where that's all I want to do, and then I have days where I couldn't possibly go through with it. Honestly, on those days it has nothing to really do with my job it's 100% to do with my husband and daughter. I love my career path but I am not working atm which is hard for me since I have worked everyday since I graduated from grad school in 2015. But we just moved to another state and I am still dealing with getting my licensure situated which has been a nightmare. Before moving here I loved my job, I did evaluations on people for a crisis team that was mobile so I would go anywhere the patient was, their home, jails, hospitals, the side of the road, the woods, their therapists office, to complete an evaluation to determine if they needed to be sectioned. I worked in a state where you can be sectioned for mental health or drug abuse if it can be proven you are a danger to self/others with an active plan, means to complete said plan, and basically I would have to prove that if I left you that you would be dead within 12-24 hours without a doubt as legally you have to prove imminent risk. We would get therapists calling all the damn time for ppl that were refusing medical treatments and they wanted the person sectioned.... yeah no. Ethically not only is that not fucking okay but legally it's not either. You have the right to deny treatment even if it means you will die ASSUMING you are a mentally competent adult (not intellectually delayed/impaired). We also would get therapists or GPs that would call bc their client said they were suicidal, okay and? That isn't a reason in most states to section someone. You have to be able to prove IMMINENT risk, so I would always ask them do you think if this person isn't taken and given treatment against their will that within a few hours they will without a doubt be dead? 99.9% said no. I definitely got into it many times with therapists/GPs bc I would refuse to section someone as it was ethically not okay to me and legally it was not okay to the courts who were my boss. If I fucked up, I answered to a judge not my boss. Defense attorneys would eat you alive if you came to court with a weak ass case legally for sectioning. Most states don't do it this way though I have discovered in most states any doctor, police officer, or therapist can section you which is dangerous as hell imo. They are NOT trained. Yes, even therapists. We get hardly any crisis training in school and if you are working as a therapist or social worker unless you work in the ED or on a crisis team you have little to no experience and should not be making a choice to lock someone up against their will. Anyway, I explained it so detailed and long as I know ppl will have something to say about my job and me being here. ‍Shrugs. Can't please everyone and all of us should know that mental illness effects every population from USA to Timbuktu. NOBODY is immune. Same with drug addiction.
thank you im sorry you go through so much in your career and im glad you love your career path and you have a husband and kid.
do you have any advice for me as someone wanting to be a social worker?

voyager

voyager

Don't you dare go hollow...
Nov 25, 2019
I think it's an excellent method but I also feel it deserves as much preparation as any other, since the stakes essentially remain the same. Think movies and the like have a lot to answer for with people taking temple and chin shots (just take the pictures in Manford's link e.g.). Heart shot and smaller caliber are usually a bad idea too.

Reactions: Skathon
k75

k75

L'appel du Vide
Jun 27, 2019
This is one of the reasons guns terrify me and will never be my method. So destructive, but so easy to mess up. The cost of failure is too high.

I don't think that's hypocritical. In fact, I think someone like this may be in a much better position to help other depressed people because they understand what it's like to be struggling with it. From my experience, people who have never been depressed just can't quite GET it, no matter how empathic they might be. Also, it's somehow easier to help other people than to help yourself. At least, that's how it is for me. As suicidal as I feel, it doesn't take away the desire to help other people feel better. And I can sometimes see things that would change everything for other people, but my own life is just hopeless.

• Hugs
Reactions: voyager
K

Kat!

Elementalist
Sep 30, 2020
Good healthcare.. perhaps?
There's many factors that come into play here.
1. Angle
2. Velocity
3. Caliber / Gauge
4. Ammo .

1. The angle of the round or rounds penetrating the skull. If it is a low caliber, it has a small chance of not penetrating based on the angle, it could graze off of the skull / ricochet. There has been cases of bullets grazing skulls and still killing because of brain inflation or lack of medical attention which leads to bleeding out.

2. Velocity of the round. Any typical round does travel decently enough to offer equal penetration and power. Shorter barrels offer lower velocity than longer barrels, which means less energy upon leaving the barrel. This can minimally affect damage.

3. Caliber or Gauge. Okay, this plays into the next point as well. Anything 9mm or above will inflict moderate to severe damage to tissue, and will easily penetrate the skull given a decent angle. FMJ or (Full Metal Jacket-ed) (or "ball ammunition") rounds are for body armor, they increase velocity and attempt to maximize their form when penetrating. This means that they do not cause as much damage to flesh as other mushroom-ing rounds, but they will go through-and-through better. Gauge, doesn't matter much but 20 or 12 gauges are very deadly.

4. Ammo. Different companies manufacture different modifications of the same caliber and gauge to maximize or minimize damage. Some rounds have different purposes, like said before. Shotguns typically have 3 types of shells which are mass-produced. Birdshot, buckshot, and slugs. Those 3 vary so much, it is important to learn those key differences. Slugs are for long range, birdshot are for short range bird hunting, and buckshot is for medium to large game depending on the ball sizes. Other handgun ammunitions also come in FMJ or hollow-point rounds. Hollow points mushroom inside of the body, and create a massive temporal and permanent cavity.

Most people who fail often twitch at the last moment, or they use the wrong type of load.
Sure, any load with contact against the head will create MASSIVE internal pressure in the skull, but still, the loads determine how far the damage will extend into the brain. Slugs go through-and-through, buckshot expands and may go through-and-through, while birdshot often loses it's energy quickly.

It's very rare to have manufactured ammo fail, or dud, but it can happen.

Reactions: Skathon
SleepyTime

SleepyTime

Oct 10, 2019
I think this entire thread is silly. According to the link, the man shot the woman in the head. The article only states that he then shot himself and died 14 days later. Nothing in the article says the man shot himself in the head. He might have tried to shoot himself in the heart and missed. So any talk of blowing his head off and living for 2 weeks doesn't fit with the linked article. Maybe some other reporting says he shot himself in the head, but from what we have this is not true.

Reactions: Skathon and Kat!