T

turquoise

Sep 20, 2020
I'm curious about this whole survival instinct. I guess it can keep me from going through with it, even though I've got the best possible option (IV injection of N in Switzerland).

My days go up and down. Some days I wake up and realize my condition is so bad physically that there's nothing left to live for and I am determined to go forward with it.

Other days I hesitate and tend to put off the next steps of choosing a date and booking the flight to Switzerland. Even on those days, I know I won't get any better physically. Yet something makes me put off the next steps. Is that survival instinct?

I honestly feel trapped in limbo, neither alive nor dead.

• Hugs
Reactions: Mare Imbrium, WearyWanderer, Hennessy and 4 others
Wrennie

Wrennie

-
Dec 18, 2019
I'm curious about this whole survival instinct. I guess it can keep me from going through with it, even though I've got the best possible option (IV injection of N in Switzerland).

My days go up and down. Some days I wake up and realize my condition is so bad physically that there's nothing left to live for and I am determined to go forward with it.

Other days I hesitate and tend to put off the next steps of choosing a date and booking the flight to Switzerland. Even on those days, I know I won't get any better physically. Yet something makes me put off the next steps. Is that survival instinct?

I honestly feel trapped in limbo, neither alive nor dead.
It's most likely survival instinct. Ultimately the brain cannot wrap its head around being plunged into nonexistence, so we think to ourselves "just one more day" even if our circumstances show no sign of improvement. It's one of the hardest hurdles to overcome!

• Hugs
Reactions: RedHarlequin, LittleBabyNothing, NegativeSymptoms and 3 others
T

turquoise

Sep 20, 2020
It's most likely survival instinct. Ultimately the brain cannot wrap its head around being plunged into nonexistence, so we think to ourselves "just one more day" even if our circumstances show no sign of improvement. It's one of the hardest hurdles to overcome!
How do people overcome it then?

• Hugs
Reactions: sadworld
S

summers

Visionary
Nov 4, 2020
How do people overcome it then?
I go by you'll know when it's time. Be at peace with your decision. Honestly, there's no reason to rush (most of the time). Whether your issues are situational, physical, or mental, when you realize it's time to go, you'll be able to carry out your plan calmly and with confidence. If you have second thoughts, it may be better to wait. People make mistakes when they're nervous or scared.

I do think most people will experience some fear, but not an overwhelming, paralyzing kind.

• Hugs
Reactions: oversizedsweaters, BandAddict, Wrennie and 1 other person
D

Deleted member 24645

Dec 11, 2020
When the pain of living overcomes everything else. I guess it's down to the individual. If you're in any doubt, wait because you can't change your mind afterwards. For me, it is the thought of my family that stops me, I couldn't bear to hurt them. That's not to say there won't be a time when the balance changes and I can tolerate my grief no longer.

• Hugs
Reactions: Wrennie and sadworld
sadworld

sadworld

existence is a nightmare
Aug 25, 2020
For some people SI is not hard to overcome at all but for others, including me, it can be really strong... I'm a really anxious person and death just gives me huge anxiety when I'm facing it.

• Hugs
Reactions: Mentalmick and Wrennie
S

Scotty

Student
Dec 26, 2020
I'm going to try to meditate for a little bit before I go.

T

turquoise

Sep 20, 2020
When the pain of living overcomes everything else. I guess it's down to the individual. If you're in any doubt, wait because you can't change your mind afterwards. For me, it is the thought of my family that stops me, I couldn't bear to hurt them. That's not to say there won't be a time when the balance changes and I can tolerate my grief no longer.
Logically speaking, there's nothing left for me to live for. My physical condition is so poor and the doctors have nothing to offer now.

But, I'm basically hiding from it. For example I'll decide to spend the night with friends drinking and trying to forget it all. Or distract myself by going to the beach. None of it works because my physical condition doesn't get any better.

I find the will to die is strongest when my pain is most severe or when I cannot do things I could do earlier.
I go by you'll know when it's time. Be at peace with your decision. Honestly, there's no reason to rush (most of the time). Whether your issues are situational, physical, or mental, when you realize it's time to go, you'll be able to carry out your plan calmly and with confidence. If you have second thoughts, it may be better to wait. People make mistakes when they're nervous or scared.

I do think most people will experience some fear, but not an overwhelming, paralyzing kind.
Very well said. I do see many people who have posted on here, very calm and confident. They planned months in advance and followed through. Having that peace of mind would be so nice.

• Hugs
Reactions: Wrennie
M

makingsure4

Student
Jan 6, 2021
Well, unless you've got a disease that will break your body down so much that you can't travel to Switzerland nothing wrong with another day, another hour etc. Congratulations btw on getting the Nembutal shot scheduled. Most of the rest of us are trying to figure out how not to not hack up SN or are waiting eagerly for the new lethal salt to be announced on ppeh.

Reactions: WearyWanderer, Deleted member 24645 and the_final_countdown
Mentalmick

Mentalmick

IMHOTEP!!!
Nov 30, 2020
Si is the bane of my existence. Ruins everything.

Reactions: the_final_countdown
W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
I think I'm trapped in Limbo too!
Also, lately, my days are really bad!

I hope things get better but it seems so difficult!

Reactions: Mentalmick
Lost Magic

Lost Magic

Illuminated
May 5, 2020
Yeah, survival instinct is stronger in certain individuals than it is in others, I presume. Switzerland is the gold standard for people with little to no hope of recovery. Shame it is only for physical and not including mental decline also. I will take benzos and Xanax to help calm me down on the day.