chocolatebar

chocolatebar

Paragon
Jul 11, 2021
One more time the suicide topic was raised on reddit and I was there to see it. All that people care for is the suffering from the family, the friends, the mess they have to clean and who know what else, but NEVER they mention the suffering from the one who suicided.

I was the one who rised up and mentioned the person who suicided and the lack of empathy. I even made the mistake of mentioning I'm a suicidal myself, only to get mean responses and downvotes.

Why do I keep looking for empathy from people anymore?

• Hugs
Reactions: BipolarExpress, Angi, demuic and 7 others
Pluto

Pluto

Meowing to go out
Dec 27, 2020
They all seem to conflate compassion for the suicidal with actively encouraging suicide. That's the reason we have to huddle here on this website in the first place.

• Hugs
Reactions: BipolarExpress, Angi, demuic and 4 others
KuriGohan&Kamehameha

KuriGohan&Kamehameha

想死不能 - 想活不能
Nov 23, 2020
Reddit actively feeds IP addresses of suicidal people to law enforcement to have their doors busted down. A recent post I saw on there was of a University student who had been threatened with expulsion because they had made an anonymous post on a venting subreddit about being suicidal, their IP was traced, they were sent to a ward by police, and their university was contacted and informed of the liability.

It is absolutely not a safe platform to discuss suicidality or offer any perspective that isn't, "Go away and call a hotline. Hopefully you'll 'get the help you need' and be involuntarily thrown into a psychiatric institution so that I won't feel responsible for anything."

I don't think there is much empathy for suicidal people on reddit. The magnum opus of their message is, how can we abstain ourselves from liability and give the illusion we are doing something to help struggling people? A DM with hotline numbers and mandated reporting will suffice, of course.

• Wow
  • Love
Reactions: QuietLake, Seiba, demuic and 6 others
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
We live in a world where suicide is so stigmatised and many people do not respect the right to die. Many people will never be able to understand as they are not suicidal themselves. I feel like overall, many people can be very selfish and insensitive.

Reactions: demuic, chocolatebar and Crazy4u
W

waitingforrest

Elementalist
Dec 27, 2021
Reddit actively feeds IP addresses of suicidal people to law enforcement to have their doors busted down. A recent post I saw on there was of a University student who had been threatened with expulsion because they had made an anonymous post on a venting subreddit about being suicidal, their IP was traced, they were sent to a ward by police, and their university was contacted and informed of the liability.

It is absolutely not a safe platform to discuss suicidality or offer any perspective that isn't, "Go away and call a hotline. Hopefully you'll 'get the help you need' and be involuntarily thrown into a psychiatric institution so that I won't feel responsible for anything."

I don't think there is much empathy for suicidal people on reddit. The magnum opus of their message is, how can we abstain ourselves from liability and give the illusion we are doing something to help struggling people? A DM with hotline numbers and mandated reporting will suffice, of course.
What the heck. That's just messed up. No wonder why so many people don't talk about their ctb thoughts. Just too much to lose.

Reactions: onlyanimalsaregood, demuic, KuriGohan&Kamehameha and 1 other person
goofy

goofy

Chicago's goofiest shooter
Apr 9, 2022
Where have you been looking?

I see the complete opposite. Everyone just babies the suicidal person and sucks their balls.

chocolatebar

chocolatebar

Paragon
Jul 11, 2021
Oh, I answered to everyone and my reply apparently wasn't sent... I will try to write again... (sighs)
They all seem to conflate compassion for the suicidal with actively encouraging suicide. That's the reason we have to huddle here on this website in the first place.
This is true. However, I think there's a lack of empathy involved, or they wouldn't cut the suicidal's words. There's a consensus that only the oppressed ones are really able to understand what it means to be oppressed, except for suicides, who will be shut down

I'm fully aware of that. I still use reddit because my country ignores any of those contacts and law enforcement don't get involved.

Sometimes I feel like talking to the general public, to see how the world is like out there and the only reasonable place I found so far is reddit, because I don't have to expose myself and because other social media sites are even worse.

There's always SS, but it's focused on suicide and some topics are too much offtopic even for the offtopic section.

And this site is on too many people's eyes, in a bad way, so I don't feel comfortable for some things, like posting an artwork of mine.

Where have you been looking?

I see the complete opposite. Everyone just babies the suicidal person and sucks their balls.

I'm usually around r/linux and other open-source related, brasil (and other ones in my language), philosophy, art, science and other related ones.

I understand what you mean and I've seen it a couple of times, but they "suck balls" more in a virtue signaling way than anything else

• Hugs
Reactions: KuriGohan&Kamehameha and Pluto