K

Kali_Yuga13

Experienced
Jul 11, 2024
I think it might be good for grieving relatives and friends for people that ctb'd to meet in person. Unfortunately these type of things attract narcissists looking for a platform though. For someone that has ideation, I think going to something like this has the potential to "out" themselves with all the related consequences. It's a mixed bag of people with vastly different intentions and opinions.

• Love
  • Informative
Reactions: SonicFan1994, heliophobic and divinemistress36
K

Kali_Yuga13

Experienced
Jul 11, 2024
The "Jesus loves you sign" one lady was holding up made me laugh my ass off. Hows Jesus love going to fix my chemical imbalanced brain?
So did you go there and interact or view it from the sidelines? How were the vibes?

heliophobic

heliophobic

Memento Mori
Jan 29, 2024
I'm actually kind of shocked at the nasty and cruel comments on this that make a fuckton of assumptions. I personally know quite a few people that have gone to these walks wearing shirts that they made bearing the names of the loved ones they lost to suicide, and they wind up meeting others that are also grieving because losing someone to suicide IS FUCKING HARD. A lot of these walks raise money for mental services for people that can't afford them. Some raise money for vets with ptsd who die by suicide A LOT. It's pretty hypocritical to mock anyone that takes part in a walk, often because they've either lost someone to suicide or have survived suicide attempts but then complain that YOU'RE misunderstood and people say nasty things about YOU. What way do you want it?

• Informative
Reactions: Kali_Yuga13, divinemistress36 and SonicFan1994
SonicFan1994

SonicFan1994

Jun 17, 2024
I'm actually kind of shocked at the nasty and cruel comments on this that make a fuckton of assumptions. I personally know quite a few people that have gone to these walks wearing shirts that they made bearing the names of the loved ones they lost to suicide, and they wind up meeting others that are also grieving because losing someone to suicide IS FUCKING HARD. A lot of these walks raise money for mental services for people that can't afford them. Some raise money for vets with ptsd who die by suicide A LOT. It's pretty hypocritical to mock anyone that takes part in a walk, often because they've either lost someone to suicide or have survived suicide attempts but then complain that YOU'RE misunderstood and people say nasty things about YOU. What way do you want it?
Exactly what i was thinking, alot of narcissism in this thread.

Woe is me, when people actually commited it due to other things that we cant even imagine such as war vets, being a police office, EMT workers. Tons of Hypocrites here with over 1000 post in a suicide forum.

Reactions: heliophobic and divinemistress36
heliophobic

heliophobic

Memento Mori
Jan 29, 2024
Exactly what i was thinking, alot of narcissism in this thread.

Woe is me, when people actually commited it due to other things that we cant even imagine such as war vets, being a police office, EMT workers. Tons of Hypocrites here with over 1000 post in a suicide forum.
Damn right. A girl I've known for over 20 years was at one of these walks last year after losing her husband to cancer and her brother to suicide. I can't even imagine the pain she's going through. Not only did her family have ZERO CLUE he was suicidal but his long time girlfriend didn't know either. When people talk about "ending the stigma", this is what they mean. Not all suicidal people tell you that they are. There aren't always signs. There isn't a "typical suicidal person". So we fight to tell the world the suicide touches all walks of lives: the young, the old, the rich, the poor, the successful, the unemployed, those that are single, someone who just engaged. EVERYONE. And I don't have enough middle fingers for anyone that would look down on a person that would try to help someone that's suicidal. My best friend was a vet and died last year. He had PTSD and while he didn't commit suicide, it was basically a slow suicide because of the way he drank. That's what wound up killing him. Alcohol. 41 years old, two kids and he didn't have a single enemy but he fought inner demons that none of us will ever know about. Ones bad enough that he let bourbon kill him. I've been on both sides of this issue: losing people close to me to suicide and being suicidal and both sides SUCK. And you know what? Both sides feel lonely too.

• Aww..
  • Love
Reactions: SonicFan1994 and divinemistress36
divinemistress36

divinemistress36

Visionary
Jan 1, 2024
So did you go there and interact or view it from the sidelines? How were the vibes?
Just drove past . People seemed caring. I'm not dissing it just curious

• Love
Reactions: Kali_Yuga13 and heliophobic
uniqueusername4

uniqueusername4

died a long time ago
Aug 13, 2023
I personally think they are dumb. Suicide prevention = providing mental health services, health care, and addressing the other societal issues that cause suicide. After that, there will still be people who want out, we can't control it. The more people try to control it, the more people are going to rebel.

I get the sentiment. Maybe some people who have had loved ones commit suicide wanted to feel like they were doing something about it or had control in some way. If that is the case, they would do better attempting to spread awareness about suicide causes and trying to fix those issues.

Reactions: divinemistress36