Ww42

Ww42

Experienced
Feb 24, 2024
I know right? I hate my job we get tortured from the doctors who they have no clue and they throw their work on us. You're right we save life and in my case in the other hand I lost my son life in the process. Take care of yourself I'm not sure if I'm staying alive but if I decided to live for my children I'm going to need career changed for sure.
There's no taking care of myself anymore. I'm going to kill myself in October. But I totally understand needing a career change outside healthcare. It's quite possibly the worst career someone could ever choose to have, the amount of abuse we face from both patients and coworkers is inhumane with just how bad it is. I hope you're able to recover and live for the rest of your children, they need you. I know CTB is a choice that is entirely up to you whatever you may choose, so I wish you the best in whatever you choose

• Love
Reactions: Davey40210 and badtothebone
eden101

eden101

Student
Aug 12, 2024
chronic illness (physical) is a huge factor for suicide from what i've read online

• Hugs
Reactions: J&L383, heavyeyes, sugarb and 1 other person
B

badtothebone

Experienced
Aug 20, 2024
There's no taking care of myself anymore. I'm going to kill myself in October. But I totally understand needing a career change outside healthcare. It's quite possibly the worst career someone could ever choose to have, the amount of abuse we face from both patients and coworkers is inhumane with just how bad it is. I hope you're able to recover and live for the rest of your children, they need you. I know CTB is a choice that is entirely up to you whatever you may choose, so I wish you the best in whatever you choose
Thank you so much! You can change your career too! Think about it don't rush.

• Love
Reactions: -Link- and Ww42
Ww42

Ww42

Experienced
Feb 24, 2024
Thank you so much! You can change your career too! Think about it don't rush.
I have thought about if for many years, attempted once, failed, and even after that failure have meditated on the prospect of life and suicide and have made up my mind that death truly is the best for me, but I really appreciate the well wishes. Idk if you'd like to continue talking for the month or so leading up to my CTB, but I just figured I'd put the offer out there to talk with you if you'd like! I hope that whatever decision you make, it brings you true inner peace

Reactions: badtothebone
B

badtothebone

Experienced
Aug 20, 2024
I have thought about if for many years, attempted once, failed, and even after that failure have meditated on the prospect of life and suicide and have made up my mind that death truly is the best for me, but I really appreciate the well wishes. Idk if you'd like to continue talking for the month or so leading up to my CTB, but I just figured I'd put the offer out there to talk with you if you'd like! I hope that whatever decision you make, it brings you true inner peace
Appreciate you and ofc we can chat… thank you for the offer

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Davey40210 and Ww42
lamargue

lamargue

sleepwalker
Jun 5, 2024
most people associate suicide with mental illness because of the inconceivability that death could ever be preferable to life except in extreme conditions, of which most people hold as possibilities and nothing more. the tendency to demonize those whose victimhood is perceived as disproportionate to their conditions is really just a projection of the reverence we hold for individual labor in society; normally this should encompass self-autonomy as well, though the counterpoint is commonly beheld in individual responsibilities which we are all obligated to follow (according to the pro-life position)

Reactions: ijustwishtodie, sugarb and badtothebone
Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021
That's a valid point. While mental illness is a common factor in many suicides, it's not the only factor. People might contemplate or commit suicide due to a range of reasons, including overwhelming life circumstances, existential distress, or profound personal crises.

Reactions: ijustwishtodie, sugarb and badtothebone
Ww42

Ww42

Experienced
Feb 24, 2024
Appreciate you and ofc we can chat… thank you for the offer
Of course! I know we are just strangers on an internet forum but I truly care about you and love you. That may sound crazy but I do. I genuinely wish the best for all of us here to find our peace whatever that may be, the CTB is a tragic loss I won't lie, but it's the best option a lot of people have. Maybe you have better options, especially for the rest of your family. But whatever you may choose in the future, I fully support your decision

• Love
Reactions: Davey40210, sugarb and badtothebone
B

badtothebone

Experienced
Aug 20, 2024
chronic illness (physical) is a huge factor for suicide from what i've read online
You're right. We deal with a lot of suicidal patients in my unit. When I do bedside assessment most of them mention they are suicidal due to illness they feel helplessness and hopelessness. I usually call the social worker to provide them with resources but some of them determined.
That's a valid point. While mental illness is a common factor in many suicides, it's not the only factor. People might contemplate or commit suicide due to a range of reasons, including overwhelming life circumstances, existential distress, or profound personal crises.
I can't agree more @Darkover! Just because someone wants to die, doesn't mean they are mentally ill.
Of course! I know we are just strangers on an internet forum but I truly care about you and love you. That may sound crazy but I do. I genuinely wish the best for all of us here to find our peace whatever that may be, the CTB is a tragic loss I won't lie, but it's the best option a lot of people have. Maybe you have better options, especially for the rest of your family. But whatever you may choose in the future, I fully support your decision
We can be strangers on the dining table with family! What connect people together is similarity. Each one of us here have their unique struggle but we all thinking about suicide. Love you my friend
most people associate suicide with mental illness because of the inconceivability that death could ever be preferable to life except in extreme conditions, of which most people hold as possibilities and nothing more. the tendency to demonize those whose victimhood is perceived as disproportionate to their conditions is really just a projection of the reverence we hold for individual labor in society; normally this should encompass self-autonomy as well, though the counterpoint is commonly beheld in individual responsibilities which we are all obligated to follow (according to the pro-life position)
Well said @lamargue

Last edited:
Reactions: Darkover
EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

|| What Else Could I Be But a Jester ||
Oct 21, 2023
  • Yay!
Reactions: sugarb
EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

Oct 21, 2023
no threaten me wit gud tiem bishhhhh
Yah! I thereten Yu bad gorl bad poopyheaded girl wyth badmuth! Say bad wurds like b*****************?*????*********************????????*?*,,,**?,

U Bod!!!!!!!

sugarb

sugarb

long time sunshine
Jun 14, 2024
Yah! I thereten Yu bad gorl bad poopyheaded girl wyth badmuth! Say bad wurds like b*****************?*????*********************????????*?*,,,**?,

U Bod!!!!!!!
the brainrot in this thread is getting out of hand 😭
or should I say out of penar? 😎

Attachments

• IMG_5494.jpeg
    IMG_5494.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

Oct 21, 2023
%^**$^*^#*$&(($&&#&$*((#$*(
=#/÷^^%%<;%**:^(,^&&;=̷̼̒̆̊#̸̨̛̙/̴̛͖͍̂̽÷̷̢̗̤̫̃^̴̧͋^̵̢̨̡͉̈̄%̴̣͕͉̆͂̊%̸̳̭̐͑͝<̷̨͎̈́̈́;̸̡̰͍̙̐́́%̷̧̜̒̚ͅ*̸̪̘̱͐͝*̶̹̮̾:̷̘̣͕̐̉̐͠^̵̨͇̖̙̔̍(̵̭̬̇̀̉,̵̛̭̙̿̾^̵̮̳͚͂&̶̧̛&̷̝͍̮̎̾̂;̶̦̱̑=̵̹͖̝̲͓̏̑̎̐̈̾́͐͂͛͑̆͂͛͑ͅ#̸̧̧̣̰̠͙̯͚͖̯̳̣̹̤̻̅̓̄̾̓͗̈̋͐̐̽̅̒͊͘͝͠͝/̸̩̠̊̏̃̈́̈́̎̄÷̴̨̛̩̺͓̹͋̾̉̓͋̓̏̎̓́^̵̘̙̬̣͉̝̼͍̪̟̼̌̂̓̏̕͝͝͠^̸̨̺̞͇̦̙̯͓̗͖͗͑̀̀̉̀́͐̿͋̐̌̇̚͝%̶̨̭̘̫̜̦̈́̽̔̀͒͒̄̎̏̈́̔̉͋͘͜͝%̸̡̛͈̜͖̎̽͋͒̐̔͒͆̂̐̎̉̆̄͘̕͠<̵̛̬͉̭͍̪̩͗̐̃͛͋̆̈́̈̅͌͊̏͝͝;̶̢̹̲̳̻̩̦͇̯̹̤͉͍̤͖̌͊͘%̷̞̱͎̤̫̯̻͙̥̈͐̔́͜*̶͍͔͇͚̼͖̙̮̫̬̞͍̼͖̓̄͒̆̅̐͌̐̄̉̏̓̓̐͆̚͜͠͠ͅͅ*̸̨͍̱̫͎͈̝̙̝̳̙̰̈́̓̊͘:̷̳̙̐̀̂͛͆͐̏̏^̷̨̧̛̙͍͍̰̯̪̥̬̱̲̖̬͚̰̮̈́͌̄̊̏̉̑(̸̨̖̥̬͈̰̺͇̦̱̼̆̍̂̃̈́̆͌͆̇͛̀̇͝ͅ,̵̪̱̱͈͌̌͂͌͌̓̐́ͅ^̴͓̠̂̒̀͒̓̆́̉̿̀̎͠&̴̜͚̖̫̞͇̱͉̘͉̭̭̖͍̯̙̋̀͑̏̈̒̓̕͝͠ͅ&̶̪̤̬̜̣̬̑̈͌̾͌̽͐͝;̵̘̬̗̺̦͎̣̥͈̝͍̆́̃̈́̓̒͜=̴̢̨̛̛̛͍̯̺̤͕͚̦̱͉̼͇͓͓͙̙̻͔̫̭̞̥̪̲̖̪̪̖̤̩̥͇͕̙̉̀̂́̓̓̄̽̆͐̐̒̇̂̇͊͗̂̍̉͑̈́̋̏̎͑̌̎̌̈́͗̀̈͗̑̐̏̄͒͑̚͘̕͘̕̚͝ͅ#̴̧̨̛̛̲̰͎͔̖̄̐̓̔̈̃̇̒̊͂̈̄̄̍́̑̏̽̒͗̇̇̋̽͗̇̓͑͌͒͊͆̀̂̈́̄͛̄̑̊̔̃̆͘̕͘͝͠/̴̢̧̧̧̧̳̘͙͈̣̺͉͚̳̱͚̞̯̻̗̻̩̯̭̘̰̣̪̮͇̹̰̹͉͕̙̗̬͓̃̔̋̓͒̊̾͂̀̐̑̊̚͜ͅ÷̸̡̢̢͈̬̯͎͈̺̯̱̠̪͙͈̥͕̫̪͊̈̉̇̾̈́̉͛̑̓̓͆̃̉͠͝ͅ^̶̢̧̨̩̣̱͔͓̻͍̺͎͎̘͇̯̤͙̖̼͚̺̲̬̤̯͇̳̬̦̰͙͍͈̳̱͈́̃͛̏̊̈́͂̏̈͛̎̈̈́͊͊͑̍̽̈́̀̄͂̏̍͐̏̋̍̆͑͊̒̍̓̃̈́̈́̋̒́̐̈́͘͘̕͝͠͝ͅ^̸̨̠͚̮͓̘̬̞̗͔̬̮̹͛̔͐̎̾͑̐̎̀̓̑́̈̈́̋̐̀͊́͑̈̒͐́̿͆̈́̎̈́̏͒́͊̀̿̽̿͒̀̀̓̂̌͑̌̊̀͜%̵̛̣̣̬̙͚̝̎̃̔̄̅̌́͌̐̈͌̽̈̓͂͂̿̔́̚͘͝ͅ%̴̧̨̨̢̡̯͉̝̥̹̙̱̳̖̱̩̺͕͈̯̥͖͓̣͉̣͖̰̳͍̣̘̭͖̰͇̝̦̮̖̹͇̦̈́͐͑͗̋̅͋̃̐͑̐̿̈́͂̃̓͝͠͠͝<̶̡̡͍͕̺̺̭̙̣̩͇͈̗̘̗̮̱̟̟̰̥̼͖̜̟̖̗͍̺͍͓́̀̇̄͒͌̈́ͅͅͅ;̸̛̺̏̓́͑̄̃͋̀̓̔̑͂̋̿́̐͊́̈́̾̚͠͝͝%̴̡̝̙̳̟̫͕̤̥͍̗̯͚̩̞͈̺̗̼̲̤̗͉͈̙̭͙͑̄̊͆͛̓̓͂͆͋̏̀̀̑͆̂̇̆̄̏̇͆̃͒̀̀̐̔͒̄̓̑̕̕͘͜͠͝͝ͅͅ*̷̢̡̧̠̼̼̲̼̞̠̺͍̦̺̘͈̩̙̯̜͙͔̫͎͙̠͖̪̱͖̳̤͖̯̭͔͔͎̱̣̠̊̒̅͂́͐̈́̇̎̆͌͆̒̎̑͆̋̒̾̑̒̿̊̒̓̒̆̀̓̓̅͑̌̆̇̊́̑́̈̕̕͘͜͝͠͠͝͝͠*̵̥̄̆̀̑̊͒͌̎̈̌̈́̑̅̈́͑͂͒̃͊̿́̊̂͛̉̋͊̑̂̉͊̃͋͌̓̏̔͂̂̇̌̚̕̚͘͝͠͝͠:̶̻͉͍̎̑̿͊̾̋͂͛̊̈̄ͅ^̴̡̢̛̦͈̲̼͈̯̻̙̥̖̙͍̲̖̘̙̻̰̼̜̺̰͔̠̱̙͔̣͚̲̪͔̳̞͉͓̎̎̀͑̀͊͐̿̾́̎̑̐̑͆̍͊̂̽̀̂͂̎̽̂̈́̈́̚̚͜͜͝͝ͅ(̴̡̧̢̛̛̭̬̺͈͙͙̖͓̯̮͔̣̟̗͈͚̲̯͍̰̮̱̩̙͔́̔͒̉́̍̒̀̍͆̇̽̎͜͝͝,̵̛̤͈̜͔̜͂̋̐̂̿̇̑̌͋̈́̒̽̒́̂̓̌̽̾̚͘͝͝͝^̶̨̡̞̭̫͓̞͈̰͇̲̘͓̩̣̆́̍͊̓̆̒̍̈̒̇̀̃̀́͐͂́̄̿̚̕͜͠&̶̢͈̙̣̗͚͉͚̬̳͍̣̀̌̿̅̏͒̔̂̿̏͗͊̈̆͐̑́͗̇͋͑̈͘̕͜͝&̸̢̳͕̣̮̺̣̞̰̭̳̜͚̬̮͙̩̮͙̜̱̟̯͚͉̻̙̹̬̌̏̾̾̓̃́͌̉̽͑͌͂̋̔͝;̴̖̪̣͙̭͓͓̣̬̗̹̩̮̞̣̤̼̝̹̿̈́́̒̅͑͗͊͂́̕̚̚͜͠ͅ
the brainrot in this thread is getting out of hand 😭
or should I say out of penar? 😎
Damn! Did I just cause you to goon to my rizz skibidi ohio? Gyatt

Lady Laudanum

Lady Laudanum

Adrenaline junkie
May 9, 2024
=#/÷^^%%<;%**:^(,^&&;=̷̼̒̆̊#̸̨̛̙/̴̛͖͍̂̽÷̷̢̗̤̫̃^̴̧͋^̵̢̨̡͉̈̄%̴̣͕͉̆͂̊%̸̳̭̐͑͝<̷̨͎̈́̈́;̸̡̰͍̙̐́́%̷̧̜̒̚ͅ*̸̪̘̱͐͝*̶̹̮̾:̷̘̣͕̐̉̐͠^̵̨͇̖̙̔̍(̵̭̬̇̀̉,̵̛̭̙̿̾^̵̮̳͚͂&̶̧̛&̷̝͍̮̎̾̂;̶̦̱̑=̵̹͖̝̲͓̏̑̎̐̈̾́͐͂͛͑̆͂͛͑ͅ#̸̧̧̣̰̠͙̯͚͖̯̳̣̹̤̻̅̓̄̾̓͗̈̋͐̐̽̅̒͊͘͝͠͝/̸̩̠̊̏̃̈́̈́̎̄÷̴̨̛̩̺͓̹͋̾̉̓͋̓̏̎̓́^̵̘̙̬̣͉̝̼͍̪̟̼̌̂̓̏̕͝͝͠^̸̨̺̞͇̦̙̯͓̗͖͗͑̀̀̉̀́͐̿͋̐̌̇̚͝%̶̨̭̘̫̜̦̈́̽̔̀͒͒̄̎̏̈́̔̉͋͘͜͝%̸̡̛͈̜͖̎̽͋͒̐̔͒͆̂̐̎̉̆̄͘̕͠<̵̛̬͉̭͍̪̩͗̐̃͛͋̆̈́̈̅͌͊̏͝͝;̶̢̹̲̳̻̩̦͇̯̹̤͉͍̤͖̌͊͘%̷̞̱͎̤̫̯̻͙̥̈͐̔́͜*̶͍͔͇͚̼͖̙̮̫̬̞͍̼͖̓̄͒̆̅̐͌̐̄̉̏̓̓̐͆̚͜͠͠ͅͅ*̸̨͍̱̫͎͈̝̙̝̳̙̰̈́̓̊͘:̷̳̙̐̀̂͛͆͐̏̏^̷̨̧̛̙͍͍̰̯̪̥̬̱̲̖̬͚̰̮̈́͌̄̊̏̉̑(̸̨̖̥̬͈̰̺͇̦̱̼̆̍̂̃̈́̆͌͆̇͛̀̇͝ͅ,̵̪̱̱͈͌̌͂͌͌̓̐́ͅ^̴͓̠̂̒̀͒̓̆́̉̿̀̎͠&̴̜͚̖̫̞͇̱͉̘͉̭̭̖͍̯̙̋̀͑̏̈̒̓̕͝͠ͅ&̶̪̤̬̜̣̬̑̈͌̾͌̽͐͝;̵̘̬̗̺̦͎̣̥͈̝͍̆́̃̈́̓̒͜=̴̢̨̛̛̛͍̯̺̤͕͚̦̱͉̼͇͓͓͙̙̻͔̫̭̞̥̪̲̖̪̪̖̤̩̥͇͕̙̉̀̂́̓̓̄̽̆͐̐̒̇̂̇͊͗̂̍̉͑̈́̋̏̎͑̌̎̌̈́͗̀̈͗̑̐̏̄͒͑̚͘̕͘̕̚͝ͅ#̴̧̨̛̛̲̰͎͔̖̄̐̓̔̈̃̇̒̊͂̈̄̄̍́̑̏̽̒͗̇̇̋̽͗̇̓͑͌͒͊͆̀̂̈́̄͛̄̑̊̔̃̆͘̕͘͝͠/̴̢̧̧̧̧̳̘͙͈̣̺͉͚̳̱͚̞̯̻̗̻̩̯̭̘̰̣̪̮͇̹̰̹͉͕̙̗̬͓̃̔̋̓͒̊̾͂̀̐̑̊̚͜ͅ÷̸̡̢̢͈̬̯͎͈̺̯̱̠̪͙͈̥͕̫̪͊̈̉̇̾̈́̉͛̑̓̓͆̃̉͠͝ͅ^̶̢̧̨̩̣̱͔͓̻͍̺͎͎̘͇̯̤͙̖̼͚̺̲̬̤̯͇̳̬̦̰͙͍͈̳̱͈́̃͛̏̊̈́͂̏̈͛̎̈̈́͊͊͑̍̽̈́̀̄͂̏̍͐̏̋̍̆͑͊̒̍̓̃̈́̈́̋̒́̐̈́͘͘̕͝͠͝ͅ^̸̨̠͚̮͓̘̬̞̗͔̬̮̹͛̔͐̎̾͑̐̎̀̓̑́̈̈́̋̐̀͊́͑̈̒͐́̿͆̈́̎̈́̏͒́͊̀̿̽̿͒̀̀̓̂̌͑̌̊̀͜%̵̛̣̣̬̙͚̝̎̃̔̄̅̌́͌̐̈͌̽̈̓͂͂̿̔́̚͘͝ͅ%̴̧̨̨̢̡̯͉̝̥̹̙̱̳̖̱̩̺͕͈̯̥͖͓̣͉̣͖̰̳͍̣̘̭͖̰͇̝̦̮̖̹͇̦̈́͐͑͗̋̅͋̃̐͑̐̿̈́͂̃̓͝͠͠͝<̶̡̡͍͕̺̺̭̙̣̩͇͈̗̘̗̮̱̟̟̰̥̼͖̜̟̖̗͍̺͍͓́̀̇̄͒͌̈́ͅͅͅ;̸̛̺̏̓́͑̄̃͋̀̓̔̑͂̋̿́̐͊́̈́̾̚͠͝͝%̴̡̝̙̳̟̫͕̤̥͍̗̯͚̩̞͈̺̗̼̲̤̗͉͈̙̭͙͑̄̊͆͛̓̓͂͆͋̏̀̀̑͆̂̇̆̄̏̇͆̃͒̀̀̐̔͒̄̓̑̕̕͘͜͠͝͝ͅͅ*̷̢̡̧̠̼̼̲̼̞̠̺͍̦̺̘͈̩̙̯̜͙͔̫͎͙̠͖̪̱͖̳̤͖̯̭͔͔͎̱̣̠̊̒̅͂́͐̈́̇̎̆͌͆̒̎̑͆̋̒̾̑̒̿̊̒̓̒̆̀̓̓̅͑̌̆̇̊́̑́̈̕̕͘͜͝͠͠͝͝͠*̵̥̄̆̀̑̊͒͌̎̈̌̈́̑̅̈́͑͂͒̃͊̿́̊̂͛̉̋͊̑̂̉͊̃͋͌̓̏̔͂̂̇̌̚̕̚͘͝͠͝͠:̶̻͉͍̎̑̿͊̾̋͂͛̊̈̄ͅ^̴̡̢̛̦͈̲̼͈̯̻̙̥̖̙͍̲̖̘̙̻̰̼̜̺̰͔̠̱̙͔̣͚̲̪͔̳̞͉͓̎̎̀͑̀͊͐̿̾́̎̑̐̑͆̍͊̂̽̀̂͂̎̽̂̈́̈́̚̚͜͜͝͝ͅ(̴̡̧̢̛̛̭̬̺͈͙͙̖͓̯̮͔̣̟̗͈͚̲̯͍̰̮̱̩̙͔́̔͒̉́̍̒̀̍͆̇̽̎͜͝͝,̵̛̤͈̜͔̜͂̋̐̂̿̇̑̌͋̈́̒̽̒́̂̓̌̽̾̚͘͝͝͝^̶̨̡̞̭̫͓̞͈̰͇̲̘͓̩̣̆́̍͊̓̆̒̍̈̒̇̀̃̀́͐͂́̄̿̚̕͜͠&̶̢͈̙̣̗͚͉͚̬̳͍̣̀̌̿̅̏͒̔̂̿̏͗͊̈̆͐̑́͗̇͋͑̈͘̕͜͝&̸̢̳͕̣̮̺̣̞̰̭̳̜͚̬̮͙̩̮͙̜̱̟̯͚͉̻̙̹̬̌̏̾̾̓̃́͌̉̽͑͌͂̋̔͝;̴̖̪̣͙̭͓͓̣̬̗̹̩̮̞̣̤̼̝̹̿̈́́̒̅͑͗͊͂́̕̚̚͜͠ͅ
this what my EKG be like when you talk dirty to me babe

It low key actually looks kinda like torsade de pointes lmfao

Last edited:
  • Yay!
Reactions: EvisceratedJester
sugarb

sugarb

long time sunshine
Jun 14, 2024

Damn! Did I just cause you to goon to my rizz skibidi ohio? Gyatt
Baby gronk kai cenat. ☺️

• Yay!
Reactions: EvisceratedJester
FlufflesAway

FlufflesAway

Jul 31, 2024
A study from Sweden found that, at least amongst men, low emotional control and low IQ were both associated with a higher risk of suicide.

This isn't to say that high intellectual acts a protector against suicide, because it doesn't, but to say that most people who die from suicide are very smart isn't true. This also feeds into the whole "higher intelligence = more suffering" rhetoric. In reality, high intelligence is associated with a lower risk of developing general anxiety, PTSD, and less neuroticism. It's also associated with a decreased risk of having experienced childhood stressors, adult stressors, and trauma. I'm sure your son was very bright but him committing suicide isn't a testament to that.
wow. all hope evaporated. i'm retarded. i knew it. i'm going to make friends with a train

• Aww..
Reactions: sugarb
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I really wish more focus was placed on this. I think it's massively lazy to just blame all suicide on mental illness. It's dangerous too- for the 'normies' out there. It maybe feeds into reassuring them that we're all simply crazy and that that won't happen to them. Both mental illness and awful life circumstances can strike anyone at any time.

Plus- how many mental illnesses aren't triggered by something? You can't get PTSD unless you've been through some kind of trauma. I imagine most people on here have tangible reasons they are unhappy. Those causes could be helped or even prevented sometimes- before they get so bad they show up as mental illness and/or ideation.

Plus, there's also the link between mental illness and lack of mental capacity- which will always be a barrier in front of assisted suicide for anyone who doesn't have the support of a doctor.

I'm not sure whether I have mental illness. It's certainly not debilitating if I do. I hold a job. My eating and sleeping patterns are ok. I still find joy in certain things. Doesn't make my life worthwhile enough to want to continue! I'm stuck here out of obligation to not want to hurt my remaining family.

I'd actually kind of welcome it if they would assess me. I'd be curious to know if I've got anything wrong with my brain. Not through sone vague multiple choice questionnaire though. The way they even diagnose mental illness seems amateaur to me.

Reactions: -Link-, sugarb and badtothebone
B

badtothebone

Experienced
Aug 20, 2024
I really wish more focus was placed on this. I think it's massively lazy to just blame all suicide on mental illness. It's dangerous too- for the 'normies' out there. It maybe feeds into reassuring them that we're all simply crazy and that that won't happen to them. Both mental illness and awful life circumstances can strike anyone at any time.

Plus- how many mental illnesses aren't triggered by something? You can't get PTSD unless you've been through some kind of trauma. I imagine most people on here have tangible reasons they are unhappy. Those causes could be helped or even prevented sometimes- before they get so bad they show up as mental illness and/or ideation.

Plus, there's also the link between mental illness and lack of mental capacity- which will always be a barrier in front of assisted suicide for anyone who doesn't have the support of a doctor.

I'm not sure whether I have mental illness. It's certainly not debilitating if I do. I hold a job. My eating and sleeping patterns are ok. I still find joy in certain things. Doesn't make my life worthwhile enough to want to continue! I'm stuck here out of obligation to not want to hurt my remaining family.

I'd actually kind of welcome it if they would assess me. I'd be curious to know if I've got anything wrong with my brain. Not through sone vague multiple choice questionnaire though. The way they even diagnose mental illness seems amateaur to me.
Did you go to the psychiatrist? Or not even you can start by going to the medical doctor and do blood work. People can have depression symptoms or other symptoms that similar to mental illness due to vitamins deficiency. Ex. Vitamin D deficiency can cause depression lack of interest tired sadness..

How socially is going right now, it's making it very difficult for people to be happy. Everything is very expensive, lack of jobs, low salaries, etc. not to forget viruses. First we had and still have Covid, now west Nile and we don't know what's next..

Reactions: Forever Sleep
Dot

Dot

Info abt typng styl on prfle.
Sep 26, 2021

Th/ specfc illnss tht slf ws cmmunty advoc8 fr crried 7x avrge rsk fr suicde

Reactions: eden101 and badtothebone
GuessWhosBack

GuessWhosBack

The sun rises to insult me.
Jul 15, 2024
wow. all hope evaporated.
Although I actually agree with @EvisceratedJester here, I was curious so I looked into that study, which is based on a g-factor as the indication of higher intelligence. You should not lose hope just because you somehow arrived to the conclusion that you're dumb and therefore justified of being suicidal. That, I'll leave up to you, but these studies are not, imo, what you should be using to arrive to that conclusion. Before you make any conclusions, you should know this about the second study @EvisceratedJester cited:

• You should be aware that the UK Biobank dataset contains only middle-aged and older people.
  • The fact that the dataset consists of only people of age 40+ should ring the survivorship bias bell. The title of the study should actually read "High intelligence is not associated with a greater propensity for mental health disorders in middle-aged or older people".
  • The dataset they used was filled with people who took at least one cognitive test, meaning they might have taken different amounts of tests.
  • I think the assumption that intelligent younger people with mental illness being less likely to live long enough to make it to that dataset is not unreasonable.
  • They actually did not look into most mental illnesses in their study. The title is a bit misleading in that regard.
In general, the g-factor is not actually a well-defined mathematical measurement. You will not find "the" g-factor formula anywhere, not even by Spearman, who originally introduced the idea - but you will find study-specific measurements that are referred to as a g-factor. Such a value is typically estimated based off of the results of several cognitive tests given to a subject. Which tests are given is actually arbitrary but they are usually standardised. A "g-factor" typically is derived via PCA or some other factor analysis method by using the results of the cognitive tests as variables.

To quote one of the references upon which their version of the g-factor calculation was based:

UK Biobank cognitive assessment questionnaire
The UK Biobank cognitive test battery was designed to be administered unsupervised, and, although there were staff members present in the UK Biobank clinic during test administration, participants were expected to work through the cognitive assessment independently without a tester observing. Because no tester was there to help participants understand the test instructions, the onscreen instructions for each test must be clear. To assess this, after completing the UK Biobank cognitive assessment participants were asked, "Did you generally find that the instructions for all the tasks were clear?". Participants answered either yes or no. Next, participants were shown screenshots of each UK Biobank cognitive test and were asked "Were the instructions for this test clear?". Participants answered either yes or no.

The UKB Numeric Memory task was designed to assess backward digit span, which involves participants remembering a sequence of digits and then mentally reversing them in their mind. However, for this task, all the numbers in the to-be-remembered sequence were presented on the screen at once. This meant that some individuals were able to get the correct answer by reading the number sequence from right-to-left and not reversing the digits in their mind. These individuals are actually performing a forward digit span, which is an easier task. To identify the number of participants who completed this task forwards or backwards, participants were asked how they completed this task. The possible options were: read from left-to-right and reversed the digits in your mind; read from right-to-left and did not need to reverse digits in your mind; a mixture of both; something different.

I wonder if any other tests they administered also had such major flaws.

Regardless, I am sure you will find other studies that were done on younger adults, which, since you're probably a young adult, is what you should be looking at.
And I genuinely think there is positive correlation between general intelligence and quality of life, which would reasonably decrease suicidality. But I don't think these studies are as valid as they claim to be - meaning, I do not really believe they are measuring what they claim to be measuring (the impact of general intelligence on mental health).

Anyway, if you are inclined, you can find the resources used in the tests for the biobank dataset to see for yourself what the subjects were actually being tested for, if that would give you any reassurance. The study itself is freely available (I managed to download it) and you can read the conclusions.

Or if you prefer tabular form:

I find it cute that the high g-factor group was significantly more likely to be Myopic.
In particular, note how the high g-factor group was across the board less exposed to childhood trauma, so it is not unfathomable that they'd be less likely to develop PTSD. I think you'd agree that they hardly looked at all mental illnesses here.

Warm regards :3

Attachments

• 1725532405683.png
    1725532405683.png
    159 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Lady Laudanum, -Link-, sugarb and 2 others
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Did you go to the psychiatrist? Or not even you can start by going to the medical doctor and do blood work. People can have depression symptoms or other symptoms that similar to mental illness due to vitamins deficiency. Ex. Vitamin D deficiency can cause depression lack of interest tired sadness..

How socially is going right now, it's making it very difficult for people to be happy. Everything is very expensive, lack of jobs, low salaries, etc. not to forget viruses. First we had and still have Covid, now west Nile and we don't know what's next..

I went to see a college therapist over 10 years ago. They refered me to my local GP who put me on Fluoxetine (Prozac) for a bit, which did nothing. Interesting. No, they didn't do blood work. Just a questionnaire and voila, a disgnosis of mild to moderate depression.

I agree, we are what we eat but I doubt it's vitamin deficiency. I take supplements. I agree though, the pandemic has changed a lot of things.

Davey40210

Davey40210

Even the stars make room for new stars
Sep 3, 2024
In response to the OP, I really dislike how society has managed to frame suicide.

Similarly how they frame thieves (when people have no other option to steal) or middle class people who do tax avoidance (when obv the rich do the same).

Yes, suicide has to do with depression. Yes, it has to do with mental health and how you cope with stress. But suicide is also simply a rational choice when faced with the prospect of a horrible life.

If society would say next time "suicides increased because people decide to leave the terrible life conditions that they are facing" instead of "suicides increased because of a mental health crisis" then at least we are taking some accountability.

Last edited:
B

badtothebone

Experienced
Aug 20, 2024
In response to the OP, I really dislike how society has managed to frame suicide.

Similarly how they frame thieves (when people have no other option to steal) or middle class people who do tax avoidance (when obv the rich do the same).

Yes, suicide has to do with depression. Yes, it has to do with mental health and how you cope with stress. But suicide is also simply a rational choice when faced with the prospect of a horrible life.

If society would say next time "suicides increased because people decide to leave the terrible life conditions that they are facing" instead of "suicides increased because of a mental health crisis" then at least we are taking some accountability.
Thank you so much for your response @Davey40210 i agree with you. Sometimes society throw people into darkness and then they ask why. I do believe in cause and effect. Nothing comes out of the blue everything has logical explanation to it including suicide.

• Love
Reactions: Davey40210
Lady Laudanum

Lady Laudanum

Adrenaline junkie
May 9, 2024
Although I actually agree with @EvisceratedJester here, I was curious so I looked into that study, which is based on a g-factor as the indication of higher intelligence. You should not lose hope just because you somehow arrived to the conclusion that you're dumb and therefore justified of being suicidal. That, I'll leave up to you, but these studies are not, imo, what you should be using to arrive to that conclusion. Before you make any conclusions, you should know this about the second study @EvisceratedJester cited:

• You should be aware that the UK Biobank dataset contains only middle-aged and older people.
  • The fact that the dataset consists of only people of age 40+ should ring the survivorship bias bell. The title of the study should actually read "High intelligence is not associated with a greater propensity for mental health disorders in middle-aged or older people".
  • The dataset they used was filled with people who took at least one cognitive test, meaning they might have taken different amounts of tests.
  • I think the assumption that intelligent younger people with mental illness being less likely to live long enough to make it to that dataset is not unreasonable.
  • They actually did not look into most mental illnesses in their study. The title is a bit misleading in that regard.
In general, the g-factor is not actually a well-defined mathematical measurement. You will not find "the" g-factor formula anywhere, not even by Spearman, who originally introduced the idea - but you will find study-specific measurements that are referred to as a g-factor. Such a value is typically estimated based off of the results of several cognitive tests given to a subject. Which tests are given is actually arbitrary but they are usually standardised. A "g-factor" typically is derived via PCA or some other factor analysis method by using the results of the cognitive tests as variables.

To quote one of the references upon which their version of the g-factor calculation was based:

I wonder if any other tests they administered also had such major flaws.

Regardless, I am sure you will find other studies that were done on younger adults, which, since you're probably a young adult, is what you should be looking at.
And I genuinely think there is positive correlation between general intelligence and quality of life, which would reasonably decrease suicidality. But I don't think these studies are as valid as they claim to be - meaning, I do not really believe they are measuring what they claim to be measuring (the impact of general intelligence on mental health).

Anyway, if you are inclined, you can find the resources used in the tests for the biobank dataset to see for yourself what the subjects were actually being tested for, if that would give you any reassurance. The study itself is freely available (I managed to download it) and you can read the conclusions.

View attachment 149613

Or if you prefer tabular form:

View attachment 149614

I find it cute that the high g-factor group was significantly more likely to be Myopic.
In particular, note how the high g-factor group was across the board less exposed to childhood trauma, so it is not unfathomable that they'd be less likely to develop PTSD. I think you'd agree that they hardly looked at all mental illnesses here.

Warm regards :3
And why did you get a degree in pure math instead of applied math again?