ecmnesia

ecmnesia

the only thing humans are equal in is death
Aug 30, 2020
how is suicide seen in your country and how does your culture deal with it? do people talk about it or is it tabu? is it common? are there cbt hotspots?

ps. majorly motivated because I was searching about Japan's suicide forest and saw how different is their relationship with it compared to my country (Brazil).

Oct 14, 2020
I am from the U.S.A and here it is seen as a grieving and bad loss. After u ctb ur town would usually hold mental health services or stuff for the town and schools and talk about it but in 2 weeks it will be forgotten. It is pretty common. Our hospitals are horrible with mental health patiets. They just don't take them seriously. We have suicide prevention month in september but usually thats just teenage girls posting an article or hashtag on their stories. People usually don't talk about it a lot just the regular "oh they seemed so happy" or "I wish I could have done something or saw signs." There are some known ctb spots. Kinda just a bs sadness from the town if u ask me. U just end up being added to a number or statistics.

Reactions: ecmnesia
HelloHell

HelloHell

Arcanist
Dec 26, 2019
It is taboo to talk about suicide where I live. There is no ctb spot here as far as I know.
I agree Japan's suicide forest is such a popular ctb spot and people there seems used to people ctbing there, very different from where I live

TheSomebody

TheSomebody

Sep 28, 2020
Here, in the past, people would say that suicide is a cowardly act, but it seems that they are changing their minds and becoming more understandable. However, it is still taboo and people think that this path is always wrong, no matter how fucked up you are mentally.

Deleted member 22624

Deleted member 22624

One foot in the grave
Oct 7, 2020
In the south of England there's a fairly high cliff that is a bit of a hot spot, Beachy Head, iirc it's about 100m tall and has about 100 fatalities a year, I could be wrong on that though. I've been there a few times and not seen anyone who looked like they were doing what I was thinking about so I don't know. It doesn't look nearly like 100m when you're at the top looking down, I'm terrified I'd survive at the bottom in agony.

Suicide support here is basic. They'll put you on meds and send you away. Either home or briefly to a traumatic MH hospital if you're believed to be in imminent danger.

Here, in the past, people would say that suicide is a cowardly act, but it seems that they are changing their minds and becoming more understandable. However, it is still taboo and people think that this path is always wrong, no matter how fucked up you are mentally.
Sounds like England.

Reactions: ecmnesia, DFFP and Deleted member 19654
W

WornOutLife

マット
Mar 22, 2020
I'm from Argentina and talking about suicide here is absolutely considered taboo.
In this country, most suicides are because of cyber and "normal" bullying. Teenagers are really mean.
However, there are cases in which old people just go nuts and shoots his/her wife/husband and then shoot themselves (this happened some days ago and it's not the first time)

Still, I think it is necessary to talk more about suicide because it's really a problem even though the government won't admit it.

Reactions: SuicideSeason, ecmnesia and Deleted member 19654
happyhappyfunny

happyhappyfunny

Sep 16, 2020
I'm from Korea and its suicide rate is one of the highest in the world i guess, from what i've heard. Saying things like "i wanna kms" casually and/or jokingly is considered pretty normal here so ppl think its nothing serious. But yeah people who actually ctb are looked down, especially from old generations here too. And there used to be suicide bridges in Seoul but i dont think its still a thing.

Reactions: ecmnesia, DFFP, Homecoming and 2 others
sighingspider

sighingspider

Hi, How are you.
May 28, 2020
In Singapore, its not something that people want to talk about. There was once a documentary in Hong Kong that I found it quite truthful cause it also reflected the situation in Singapore. The child, who was 16-ish told her teacher she was always tired and lack the will to live. The teacher just told her that if she worked hard, those feelings would go away. Within a few days, she committed suicide.
The problem with highly advance societies in Asia is that Asians just think that if you work hard in anything, your feelings would go away.
That is not true.
So in Asia, its not about the taboo, its just that people don't take it seriously enough.

• Wow
Reactions: charcoalcat, lobster salad, WhatDoesTheFoxSay? and 5 others
Soulless Angel

Soulless Angel

Did someone say Rum?
Jul 6, 2020
In the UK, we had world mental health day recently, and we had a suicide prevention day back in Sept I believe it was, Apparently now its mental health awareness month? I have no idea, the UK is all for throwing out all the right words in trying to prevent suicide, but the actual mental health services to try and help people, just doesn't exist,
its not taboo to talk about it, in fact people are encouraged too talk when they are suicidal, but its all empty words with no true meaning behind it.

• Hugs
Reactions: x~Sophia~x, ecmnesia and Deleted member 4993
BPD Barbie

BPD Barbie

Visionary
Dec 1, 2019
Judy echoing what other UK people have said really. There are TV campaigns encouraging people to talk about mental health etc but the facilities aren't there to deal with it and most people have no idea how to reply to genuine concerns about suicide. There is a huge lack of funding in mental health. Suicide, in my opinion at least, is seen like such a traumatic way to lose someone here. Suddenly people come out the woodwork with all these phrases like 'they seemed happy' etc.

• Hugs
Reactions: elfgyoza, x~Sophia~x, ecmnesia and 1 other person
yetme

yetme

Arcanist
Oct 20, 2019
I live in a christian country and suicide is considered a sin here. It's also a social taboo. People don't talk about it. On the bright side you can't be send to a mental institution against your will for being suicidal.

D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
There are TV campaigns encouraging people to talk about mental health etc but the facilities aren't there to deal with it and most people have no idea how to reply to genuine concerns about suicide.
I believe this is true, unfortunately. There are bucket loads of well meaning people out there. Some may be genuine; some may be virtue signalling. But the unfortunate truth is that very often when you do have the courage to reach out for help, you find that the promises were lip service. It's always someone else's problem and the professionals can sort it out. Which means medication and often an endless revolving door policy of things getting worse.
It's not enough to 'save someone's life.' That doesn't automatically, somehow magically, solve what brought them to the point of contemplating suicide. If you offer support, I believe you then have a duty of care to continue to offer that support, and most people, professional or otherwise, cannot do that.
It's actually understandable. It's fucking hard work to offer sustained support to someone who is chronically suicidal, for whatever reason. Easier to back away and say something facile like "listen to the professionals."
Well, if that worked, many of us wouldn't be here in the first place.

Reactions: ecmnesia, less than and Deleted member 4993
YukiFox

YukiFox

Pastel demon
Dec 8, 2018
We can throw away centuries and centuries of christian point of view about life, unfortunately. Even with modern societies, who supposedly are secular in some countries, still keep the pro-life vision of society, since the state must protect the right to live of their citizens, in theory will provide any kind of suicide prevention programs, since the life is theoretically to be preserved. Sadly, the society, even with some countries who approved the euthanasia, will not accept suicide as a honorable or rightful way to die, and will never understand the struggles and pain of the suicidal people and only throw away in those f$#(%# psychiatric wards.

CoalmineCanary

CoalmineCanary

Jul 15, 2020
Prince Edward Viaduct

Why it was put up finally put up:

My parents are religious. Maybe it's a cover or a symptom of their generation and culture. My bro is casually a christian (ethical and moral) and my cousins seem to be agnostic or atheist. Sadly my friends passed away years ago (two freak accidents). We're pro-choice when it comes to abortion but suicide? Not so much but they are clear that they do not wish to be hooked up to machines to be kept alive. Levels of irony on autonomy just confuse me. I don't know why they want me to stay. They know I want to go and that it might happen intentionally or unintentionally. I just don't want to stay in this fucken world anymore. It's too fucken much.

Last edited:
  • Hugs